In this brief blog, we will be talking about work stress, stress management in the workplace, how to deal with stress from work, and more information about work stress.
What is the meaning of work stress?
The meaning of work stress is the stress felt due to the physical and psychological demands that are inherent in the workplace.
Too much pressure in work may trigger this kind of stress.
Adults spend their lifetimes at the workplace which is similar to children who spend almost every day in school.
In the UK, work stress is quite rampant and has created a huge impact on the country’s economy.
Work stress can be very distressing and debilitating if not treated immediately.
This kind of stress can even cause mental health conditions such as depression or anxiety.
Work stress can also cause physical disorders such as autoimmune diseases in employees who didn’t know they have the tendency to get this kind of disease.
This is why there is a need to consult with a mental health professional to minimize the deteriorating effects of this kind of stress.
Work stress is not the only type of stress one experiences. Some people feel stress because of a storm too.
What are some indications that work stress is too much?
Sometimes, work stress can become too much once the person is unable to function well in the workplace because of this kind of stress.
Of course, stress isn’t all that distressing for employees.
It can help them be more active and productive to do the tasks that were assigned to them.
This is what makes employees able to finish that presentation where the head of the organisation will be listening.
Although the workplace has become a place of emotional distress and highs.
The need to do overtime and the pressure to meet the deadline can make employees overworked and stressed out.
This is what causes work stress to occur where the person becomes so drained that he or she may even forget how things work in the office.
You can’t control everything in your place but you can control how you would respond to this kind of stress.
If you find that work stress is disrupting your productivity in work, you can do something about that.
You should take action on how you would deal with the countless demands in work that may be too much for you.
You can learn more about work stress by buying this book on this website.
Warning symptoms of work stress
Work stress has different physical and psychological symptoms.
These kinds of symptoms will be based on how the employee reacts to demands in the workplace.
The following are the warning symptoms of work stress that are common among employees:
- feeling that you can’t deal with your workload
- finding it difficult to focus on a piece of work you need to do and recall things
- losing esteem in your workplace
- not feeling interested or committed to your job
- feeling upset with yourself at work
- being indecisive and unsure at work
- feeling depressed
- feeling anxious where for instance, you might not like going to work which happens to us all from time-to-time but if it’s regular, there’s a complication
- feeling more emotionally vulnerable where you might be more tearful or easily triggered
- feeling irritable or having a short temper on the little issues
- feeling overwhelmed
- mood swings
There are also physical outcomes of work stress which are the following:
- feeling drowsy and that you have no energy
- alterations to your excreta where you might have diarrhoea or constipation
- stomach ache
- aches and pains
- feeling sick
- gaining or losing weight
- chest aches or tightness in your chest
- lacking the arousal to have sex
You may even have behavioural changes in you when you are undergoing work stress which are the following:
- eat more or less than typical
- have difficulty sleeping
- Socially withdraw yourself from others
- drink alcohol, take illegal drugs to calm down or smoke your worries away
If these kinds of problems may occur, you need to know that maybe some of these problems may be caused by other influences other than work stress.
If you’re incapable of taking work tasks due to this kind of stress, you need to ask your employer for support.
Also, you can also see your general practitioner for healing from work stress.
Causes on why people have work stress
Work is typically good for us since it makes us more structured in life and we find our purpose in life.
This can also help us to be more helpful to the community as we all have our contributions to it.
However, the work pressure may be too much for us which contributes to work stress.
This kind of stress has various causes other than trying to meet impossible demands.
The causes of work stress are the following:
- an extreme workload or unattainable deadlines
- frequently being under pressure to address targets or deadlines
- impossible relationships with colleagues or bullying at work
- management style
- a loss of control over the method you do your job
- being indirect about your job role and duty and what you’re meant to do
- being in the wrong job for your skills, expectations, and abilities
There are times that the reasons for work stress are vague.
Some of these reasons may just grow over time without you noticing it and you may only observe this once you are very distressed about work.
You can learn more about how work stress can affect you by buying this poster on this website.
Treatment options for work stress
There are many treatment options that can alleviate work stress.
You can minimize this kind of stress by changing how you work and your work surroundings.
This can include you disclosing work stress with your employer and colleagues.
You may even be obliged to have a grievance or harassment procedure in the workplace.
There aren’t many medications that can alleviate work stress.
But if you get a mental health concern due to this kind of stress, you’re going to have to ask your general practitioner for treatment options.
For instance, they could offer you options for psychotherapy such as cognitive-behavioural therapy which can help you deal with work stress practically.
You can learn more about this kind of therapy by buying this book on this website.
You need to know what might be causing your work stress. You can even talk this one out with your employer.
You can also try some of these methods that can help minimize work stress.
See to it that you do some of the following methods.
- You need to attempt to build good relationships with your colleagues which can help make a support network at work.
- You need to take procedures to better control your time. Value and do your tasks at work and if you can organize it others, don’t be afraid to do so.
- You should learn to say no if you can’t take on extra duty or responsibility and make sure you’re able to explain why with a valid reason.
- You can take a walk or get some fresh air during your lunch break to exert work stress and both exercises and spending time outside the office are great for your mental and physical health.
- You should work daily hours and take the breaks and holidays you’re entitled to since it’s vital to take time off work.
- You need to maintain a healthy and attainable work-life balance. Don’t forget your family or intimate relationships outside of work.
- You need to consider the things you can’t alter and focus on the things you have management on.
- You should build a positive thinking pattern by attempting to look at a complication at work distinctly or talk about it with someone.
You will also have some things to think about outside of work and make sure that you are following the healthy ways that you can minimize stress at all times.
- You should attempt not to drink too much alcohol because drinking too much is likely to make you feel worse and more likely to get work stress in the long term. You may find it helpful to learn more about how alcohol impacts stress and your mental wellbeing.
- You must organize a healthy lifestyle by eating a healthy and balanced diet and get enough sleep when you have the time. You may find it also helps to learn more about doing easy meals to make after a busy and long day at work.
- You need to exercise daily as it can minimize stress hormones which are chemicals developed inside the body. It also activates the exertion of hormones which are called endorphins which make you feel good and happy.
- You must learn some relaxation strategies such as breathing exercises, mindfulness or meditation to help you calm down and control stressful circumstances. Some people find yoga helps to minimize work stress and anxiety. You may also find it useful and helpful in the long run to learn more about other methods to develop resilience to this stress.
You can discover more options that you might find fun to do.
There is no right or wrong way of alleviating work stress because it depends on what you are comfortable with.
You need to learn more about building resilience by buying this book on this website.
Employee support from your employer
Most employees would find it difficult to tell their employer or colleagues that they are suffering from work stress.
The truth is they shouldn’t worry about this scenario since they are demands that can cause an employee to get stressed.
Real employers will be willing to address work stress in the workplace.
They should be able to provide guidance that you need in dealing with your stress.
It is also vital that you speak to your manager about the situation of work stress in the workplace.
This can help them realize that there are changes that need to be made for the good of all the employees.
You need to talk about how you’re feeling in the workplace which can help you release some of your work stress.
If you are being harassed at work, you can talk about it to your employer or the human resources manager.
Your organization is obligated to have several procedures to work on these concerns.
As mentioned before, cognitive-behavioural therapy can be good for employees who are suffering from work stress.
This therapy can help the employee explore his or her negative thinking and behaviours in dealing with this stress and the therapist can advise the employee on what he or she should do to deal with this stress.
You can learn some tips on how you can manage work stress on your own by buying this book here.
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
In this brief blog, we have talked about work stress, stress management in the workplace, how to deal with stress from work, and more information about work stress.
If you have any questions about work stress, please let us know and the team will voluntarily answer your queries.
FAQs: Work stress
Can I have time off work for stress?
Yes, you can have time off work for stress but you may need your doctor’s validation first to help you get the assistance you need in meeting your needs.
You have 15 days to get FMLA to check your paperwork and send it to HR for your validation of sick leave due to stress.
What are 5 emotional signs of stress?
The 5 emotional signs of stress are depression, feeling uninterested, irritability or restlessness, disruptions in sleeping patterns, and constant worry.
These kinds of signs can make these affected people get sick from exhibiting these signs.
What organs are affected by stress?
The organs that are affected by stress are the heart, lungs, liver, brain, intestines, and muscles.
Stress can create a huge impact on these organs if stress is prolonged.
This is one of the outcomes once the stress is too much for some people.
What can stress do to a woman’s body?
Stress can affect a woman’s body by making her have a bigger appetite and having problems during pregnancy and childbirth.
The baby may also be affected by the stress felt by the mother and may be distressed in the early years.
What does emotional stress do to your body?
Emotional stress can affect your body by giving you serious medical conditions such as cardiovascular disease and autoimmune disease.
This is because your heaviness in your feelings will create sickness in you.
Bupa. Work-related stress.
HelpGuide. Stress in the Workplace.
NHS. 10 stress busters.