In this blog we will answer the question “what makes you unique” and summarize how best to answer this during a job interview.
What makes you unique?
There are quite many things that make me unique, the best one is understanding people through their gestures and body language. Every person is born unique. Each one of us has our individuality to compliment our personality. The unique thing about your uniqueness would be to confidently embrace it and be smart enough to make us of it for self and for others.
We have different personalities and traits of our personalities may overlap with another person, but there are some that are the ones that make you unique. Standing out from the rest are those that are only yours. We are a jigsaw of a variety of traits and habits that compose to bring together who we actually are.
That one piece of the jigsaw puzzle that stands out from the rest is our uniqueness. It is that piece that makes us unique.
Each unique trait has an aspect that evolves with the person. Personality psychology has evidence from researches that say uniqueness of personalities are due to thoughts, behavior and feelings. Different cultures share the same traits of personalities across the globe.
The best thing that you can give yourself is yourself, so be you. You are the one thing that makes you unique. You can dare to be different, you can dare to be you. Therefore, the first thing to do is to feel comfortable with who you are and how you are.
Personality refers to a person’s distinctive patterns of thinking, feeling, and behaving. It derives from a mix of innate dispositions and inclinations along with environmental factors and experiences. Although personality can change over a lifetime, one’s core personality traits tend to remain relatively consistent during adulthood.
Central traits are those that make up an individual’s personality.
Family is us but not me
Even in the same family each member is uniquely apart from the other, in personality and thinking style. So we all are a family but even in that unit I am myself.
People usually ask this question, what makes me unique? The answer to this is your individuality makes you unique.
Teams of uniques makes success
At school, university or work place, teamwork is always successful. Why? This is because each member brings with him or her their individuality, their uniqueness and their own thinking and working style.
Each contributes to the project in its own way, thus giving it a wholesome, diverse effect that in turn is responsible for success. A successful team is the one that encourages each member to put his unique idea forward, take the team in their way, share responsibilities to the best of their varied potentials, thus saving time and getting the things done promptly.
Being Unique is Better than Being Perfect
It should not matter that things are to be done perfectly. In humans there is no thing as perfection. Only the Omnipotent has this quality. Therefore, instead of trying to be perfect in something, be yourself, be uniquely hard working and live up to your potential. This way you will do your best.
People strive for perfection and on the way to do so they somehow lose who they actually are, they forget that to gain something one should not let go of his individuality.
We spend our lives trying to be like someone we admire, trying to be somebody whom others want us to be. And still we strive to be different. But do not forget we are unique. Instead of being a participant in the rat race, try being you and you will naturally stand out because of your uniqueness.
In history the names of those are written in gold, those who were unique, who made a transformation in the lives of others only because they used their exclusiveness, and they used it wisely.
Leaders are not born. Leaders are molded and battered into shape by their ability to bring forth their special traits and function in accordance to them. Leaders become leaders because they embrace their weirdness, andit is this weirdness that becomes the elemental touch to the profound work they impart.
What makes you unique for a job?
When we go for a job interview a common question is asked is what makes you unique or how do you think you are the best fit for this job?
These questions make us wonder what to reply, either tell them all about my unique, weird self that makes me me or give them an answer that will satisfy them but still not show who I really am.
The interviewers actually want to get to know the personality and go a bit deeper into the character of the person they might be hiring. They too are looking for a candidate who can show what he or she is made up of and can channel this into performing the designated role.
When you apply for a posted job you should go through the requirements of the post. Deliberate how best you can justify the position and responsibilities and what part of your uniqueness can contribute justly to the position.
The best answer to give in a job interview is letting the interviewers know how you can perform the role as being you. Do not pose to be someone you are not and do not be too honest about your shortcomings. As a person you know what and how you can do your best, tell them that.
You should tell how creative you are, how well will you be able to innovate positively.
Relate your relevant experience, display your attitude through the way you carry yourself and talk. According to Carl Jung, “You are what you do, not what you say you’ll do.
But avoid being very congenial, as it is mostly considered as a means to get into the boss’s good books, buttering them up. Not a good sign at all.
Do not lie about yourself or any past experiences you have had, do not lose your authenticity this way. Instead tell them something that will interest them related to the job you are applying for.
Be confident about your style and present yourself as your authentic best making sure you convey that your potential aims to meet the company’s goals.
A question I usually ask during job interviews is “tell me something about yourself that is not on your CV.” This gives the candidate a chance to open up about themselves and while they speak I notice their gestures, how passionately they speak about what thing and the way they sit, move their hands.
Remember this is the silent language. Your body speaks and when you talk about yourself, your uniqueness without knowing you give yourself away.
So in a job interview when you are asked what makes you unique, be relevant, get your experience and working style on the table, be interesting and confident.
The Unique Quotes
- ‘Your uniqueness is your magic.’
- “One of the greatest regrets in life is being what others would want you to be, rather than being yourself.” Shannon. L. Alder
- “Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.” Margaret Mead
- “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
- “Embrace those things that make you unique.” Janele Morae
- “You can’t blend in when you’re born to stand out.” Ryan Buchanan
- “Stop comparing yourself to other people you’re supposed to be unique.” Sonya Parker
- “Cling to your imperfections. They’re what make you unique.”
- “Create your own style. Let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others.” Anna Wintour
- “Never be ashamed of the things you are, the uniqueness and quirkiness and unabashed charm that flows through your veins. Love it. Cherish it. Own it.” Courtney Deroque
- “She is a blend of Modern and Classy Art, Uniqueness in her thoughts, Weirdness in her action, Rapture towards humanity, made her an antique!” Soul Writer
- ‘Please never stop being odd in the most wondrous ways.’
- “In a world full of trends, I want to remain a classic.” Iman
- ‘Being the best is great, I’m number one. But being unique is greater, I’m the only one.’
- ‘True beauty is really about being authentic and owning your uniqueness.’
- “Make sure your love for being authentic is stronger than your need for approval.” Karen Salmansohn
- “Being authentic will radiate more pure energy than trying to be an ideal.” Christina Lowsdale
- ‘Authenticity: knowing who you are and being brave enough to live it.’
- ‘Your authentic self will sell itself.”
- “Don’t be afraid of being different. Be afraid of being the same.’
In this blog we have answered the question ‘what makes you unique’ and summarized how best to answer this during a job interview.
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are personal skills?
Personal skills are also called the soft skills that are not to be taught, these are skills that make up a person, like analytic, motivated and the like.
What makes a woman stand out?
A woman who is confident and knows her mind, speaks it is the one who will stand out from the rest.
Is confidence a life skill?
Yes, confidence is a life skill and it should be used fervently when required. Being confident opens doors and helps one to engage in life events with a fervor that scales up success.
What skills should employees have?
The skills that employees should have are
Confidence, personal style, motivation
What makes a person unique?
The traits of personality that are present only in that one person is what makes him unique.
Titles To Read
- What’s Inside You Is Inside Me, Too: My Chromosomes Make Me Unique by Deslie Webb Quinby, Jeannie Visootsak MD, et al.
- What You’re Really Meant to Do: A Road Map for Reaching Your Unique Potential by Robert S. Kaplan
- Plant Yourself Where You Will Bloom: How to Turn What Makes You Unique into a Meaningful and Lucrative Career by Jennifer G. Anderson