- BetterHelp collects the information from its users and stores it in order to bring a better experience for them
- The information collected from the users is not used for purposes like marketing. It is only used to bring a better therapeutic experience to the client.
- The interactions between the client and the therapist are also stored in the platform in order to make information more accessible for the intervention itself
- The information of the user can be used by the platform to communicate or contact them and to also verify their identities
- ·The user is anytime allowed to opt out of the marketing email communication from the platform
- The platform is completely HIPAA compliant and thus the clients do not need to worry about their information or data being stolen or accessed by someone else other than the counselors or admin of BetterHelp
- In case of legal reasons, the platform may share the information of the user as well as their therapy sessions. This information is present in the informed consent between the client and the therapist
Importance of privacy in therapy
Privacy and confidentiality are two factors that clients often seek in therapy settings. This applies to both in-person therapy as well as online therapy. The reasons why privacy is so important in therapy are:
Privacy breeds trust
When there is privacy and confidentiality in the therapy process, there is a higher level of trust between the client and the therapist. Trust is essential for the client-therapist relationship. When clients trust their therapists, it also makes the therapy process itself a lot more effective. The client also actively applies the key takeaways from therapy sessions to their daily lives.
It allows the client to open up
For the therapy process to work, the client is required to be as open as possible with their therapist. This opening up process is necessary since the therapist needs to know the past behaviors as well as present secrets of the client which may give vital information for the therapy process itself.
It can keep the client safe
Privacy and confidentiality can also keep the client safe. Many societies still consider mental health and mental illness a taboo topic. Some communities and families might not be open to the idea of their members seeking out therapy. Since there is privacy in the therapy setting, the identity of the client can be protected, thereby bringing them more safety.
Best features of BetterHelp
Other than privacy and safety, BetterHelp brings plenty of great features that can be truly advantageous to anyone who is seeking online therapy. Some of these great features of BetterHelp have been described in the section below:
BetterHelp brings added safety
In addition to its HIPAA compliance and thus great internet security, the platform brings plenty of safety to its users as it does not require the therapist and the client to meet face to face. Many clients may still be hesitant to spend time in a room alone with a semi-stranger, particularly if they are survivors of past assaults. These people can find more comfort in BetterHelp.
It has a smart matching algorithm
The platform uses an algorithm to match the user with a suitable therapist. It does this by using the information of the client provided at the time of signing-up, which is why new users of BetterHelp are encouraged to be as specific as possible. The algorithm in BetterHelp assists in bringing out a much better client-therapist fit which is essential for the quality of therapy.
It has group sessions
BetterHelp not only has individual therapy, but also has group sessions which are conducted once a week. These sessions are practically free of cost to the clients of BetterHelp and cover more than 20 different topics related to mental health and mental illness. Group therapy, as a format in itself, brings tons of emotional support and resources to its participants.
It can be used from anywhere
BetterHelp operates completely online and thus, this platform can be used from anywhere and everywhere as long as the client has a stable internet connection and a compatible device. This makes it convenient for those who have busy schedules and thus cannot take time off for therapy during business hours. It also benefits those who cannot leave the house often for therapy.
It has several formats of therapy
The platform also has many modes of therapy, such as unlimited messaging, live chat sessions, live audio sessions and live video sessions. This brings a lot of convenience and flexibility to clients of BetterHelp who can choose the format of therapy according to their preferences.
If you like this blogpost, please leave your comments and questions below.