Psychologists have been trying to figure out personality traits since the 1930s.
They are working their way towards the understanding of personality and different ways to measure it. It has been found out that the interactive forces are complex and they are responsible for human behavior.
There are a number of tests available for personality testing and people are getting more aware of the personality and traits. DISC personality assessment is another tool that has gain popularity in recent decades.
However, DISC assessment should not be mainly used for clinical assessment and it is rather used for a person’s better understanding of himself.
It is also believed by psychologists that personality traits and situations are interactive and DISC can be proven a helpful tool in understanding the interaction of situations and personality traits.
DISC personality has 8 subtypes and it categorizes human personalities in 8 different types. With the DISC personality tool, another question comes to mind is what does SI mean?
We’ll discuss only one type of DISC personality in this article i.e. SI. Now you might be wondering ‘what does SI mean’ and we are here to answer that for you.
First, we shall discuss the DISC personality test and how it works and then we’ll discuss “what does SI mean”.
- DISC Personality Assessment
DISC personality assessment is used to measure preferences and tendencies which ultimately lead to your behavioral patterns.
Intelligence, values, mental health, or aptitude cannot be measured by DISC personality assessment but it describes human behavior in a variety of situations.
For instance, it asks you about your response to challenges, your preferred pace of activities, your response to rules and procedures, and the way you influence others.
Not all the dimensions of your personality are measured by this test.
The DISC model is based on four main points.
- D = Dominance (which referred to a person being direct, forceful and strong-willed)
- I = Influence (which referred to a person lively, sociable and talkative)
- S = Steadiness (this means the person is soft-hearted, gentle and accommodating)
- C = Conscientiousness (it presents person as private, logical and analytical)
DISC model has eight scales which are
- D : (Dominance)
- DI/ID : (Dominance and Influence)
- I : (Influence)
- IS/SI : (Influence and Steadiness)
- S : (Steadiness)
- SC/CS : (Steadiness and Conscientiousness)
- C : (Conscientiousness)
- CD/DC : (Conscientiousness and Dominance)
Sometimes these scales are also referred to as 12 scales and these are used to provide an accurate description and personalized feedback about everything of a DISC product family.
Priorities are also measured by DISC and the profile created by this scale can be used for many purposes including mapping of behavioral traits within a more focused environment.
Traits and situations are considered to be interactive by many psychologists. The DISC model really helps people in this regard.
One can learn his DISC personality and then adapt one’s response according to the DISC personality style of oneself and the responder as well.
For instance, a manager needs to adopt a method that is suitable for the whole team and not the one that suits him.
Now the question which started this article was ‘what does SI mean’ and we intend to answer that after introducing the DISC model.
- What does SI mean?
This section of the article will answer your question of ‘what does SI mean’? The one-liner and most simple answer to the question of ‘what does SI mean’ would be that in the DISC model S stands for steadiness and I mean influence.
Therefore, any personality with steadiness and influencing abilities is called SI personality in the DISC model. The DISC model is called so because its pictorial representation is in the form of a disc.
The SI comes at the far top right of the DISC. These personalities are counselors and they are likely to show understanding and care while they listen to others.
They are usually considerate of other people’s feelings and warm towards others creating a comfortable and encouraging atmosphere.
They encourage others to express their feelings without feeling any embarrassment of fear or rejection.
In simpler terms, they are so nice to people that people feel closer to SI personalities and tend to share their problems with them.
It clears the question of ‘what does SI mean’ to an extent and we’ll further discuss it in the next section.
- Defining Characteristics of SI
Most of the people question ‘what does SI mean’ which has been answered above in the literal meaning.
However, the detailed answer to the question ‘what does SI mean’ is given below by explaining the characteristics of an SI personality.
SI personalities of the DISC model have a lot of characteristics that make them distinguishable from others but some of the most noticeable characters are given below.
- They can easily adapt to difficult situations.
- SI personalities show empathy and understanding of other people’s feelings.
- They try to reduce conflict with other people.
- Adjustment to another person’s styles is easier for SI personalities as compared to other personalities.
- They like to help others in achieving their aims and goals. They are the initiators too.
- Strengths of SI Personality
Every person has his strengths and weaknesses and so does every personality.
You can take the best people in the world and look at their characters where you will definitely see some areas of improvement.
Therefore SI personality also has its strengths and weaknesses and if they consider these strengths and weaknesses they can get them used to their benefits.
However, and SI personality needs to be aware of his strengths and weaknesses before using it for their advantage.
The strengths of an SI personality are given below.
- They have a talent for resolving conflicts among people with amazing sensitivity and diplomacy and people are fond of this quality of theirs.
- They are loyal in their relationships and their relationships are built on trust and provide predictability which is an endearing quality.
- They are advocates of teamwork and cooperation and they keep on motivating people about the benefits of working in a team and with cooperation. They are really good at workplaces.
- They have this calming presence which makes them even endearing to many people and they provide a stabilizing presence in many tough situations.
- They are not solo players and they try to engage others in their own experience when solving any problem.
- Weaknesses of SI Personality
As we have said earlier that every personality has its qualities as well as areas of improvement and so does SI personality.
However, they can become a lot better individuals if they understand their weaknesses and make use of those weaknesses to improve themselves.
Some of the most cringe-worthy weaknesses of SI personalities are given below.
- They are not good at handling aggressive people and they don’t feel comfortable while handling those people.
- They tend to be very emotionally charged and they are sometimes unable to get themselves detached from an emotional situation which affects their productivity and other abilities.
- Sometimes, a person has to be assertive and they should be saying no in certain situations while SI personalities do not know how to be assertive and forceful in those situations and this weakness is mostly used against them.
- They are overly sensitive and emotional that’s why they react to criticism emotionally instead of being objective about the situation.
- They are not very good with authority and that’s why they are uncomfortable dealing with people who defy authority and supervision.
- How can an SI personality grow?
Growth is of paramount importance regardless of the personality a person possesses or the temperament.
SI personalities can grow better in certain situations than others.
Here are some of the growth opportunities which make an SI personality grow better and if you are a SI personality you should try for these opportunities too.
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
- They should use their skills in order to stay calm and patient in the face of hostility and situations where aggression is being displayed while staying direct and assertive.
- They need to understand that they will not always be popular with their decisions and they have to make some decisions which might not always be welcome but they are necessary.
- They should always try to remove themselves from a situation that is emotionally charged and the first step would be physically removing themselves and then work on the situation in a different space which is neutral of all situations.
- Assertive training is of utmost importance for SI personality growth and they should learn to give a direct and clear statement which is a quality of a good leader and help them in the long term.
Frequently Asked Questions
Despite the clear answer to the question “what does SI mean”, there are still a few ambiguities which are answered in this section of frequently asked questions.
What are some of the most common jobs for DISC type SI personalities?
Some of the most common jobs for DISC type SI personalities are as follows.
– Financial Advisor
– Ministry Jobs
– Customer Success and Support
– Human Resources Manager
– Client Services Manager
– Executive Assistant
– Director of Partnerships
What does SI mean if they are ranked high on influence (I)?
If they are ranked high on the influence it means they are sociable, communicative and they have a need for acceptance from people.
They are influenced by other people’s opinions about how they are perceived and they are often perceived friendly.
Communication is the most important aspect of higher influence ranking.
What does SI mean if they are ranked high on steadiness (S)
SI personalities who have ranked high on S i.e. steadiness, they are calmer and usually kind and mostly less extroverted.
They mostly want to have the support and generally slow to adjust to change.
Their ideal work environment is a quiet and stable work where they have team support.
What does SI mean in terms of sub-traits?
Sub-traits of SI are patience, friendliness, self-confidence, and persistence.