In this brief article, we will be discussing understanding mental health, how mental health is understood, the purpose of understanding mental health, and more information about understanding mental health.
What is mental health for understanding mental health?
No Health without mental health-Mental health is the overall evaluation made from one’s social and emotional wellbeing. This kind of aspect is very important in one’s life since this can also cause easy exposure to physical diseases since psychological processes can also affect physical health.
The following are aspects used to judge one’s mental health which are commonly used by people:
- Enjoyment of life as observed
- Having the ability to deal with and bounce back from stress and sadness in one’s life
- Being able to set and fulfil goals in one’s life
- Having the capability to build and maintain relationships with others in one’s life.
This kind of aspect is seen as a whole and having one aspect that may affect this part of us can lead us to a bad evaluation of this aspect in our lives.
Early warning symptoms that show that your mental health is affected
You should take note that there are early warning signs that might indicate that you are suffering from any psychological disorder. You need to observe this in yourself or your loved ones so that you can bring them immediately to treatment if necessary.
Although we tend to show some aspects of being mentally ill, they are not as severe as those people who can’t control these symptoms. The following are the early warning symptoms that you might have a mental illness:
- Eating or sleeping too much or too little as observed
- Pulling away from people and typical activities as observed
- Having low or no energy as observed
- Feeling numb or like nothing matters as felt by the affected person
- Having unexplained aches and pains as felt by the affected person
- Feeling helpless or hopeless as felt by the affected person
- Smoking, drinking or using drugs more than usual as observed
- Feeling unusually confused, forgetful, on edge, angry, upset, worried, or scared as felt by the affected person
- Yelling or fighting with family and friends as observed
- Experiencing severe mood swings that cause complications in relationships as felt by the affected person
- Having persistent thoughts and memories you can’t get out of your head as felt by the affected person
- Hearing voices or believing things that are not true as felt by the affected person
- Thinking of harming yourself or others as felt by the affected person
- Inability to perform daily tasks like taking care of your kids or getting to work or school as observed
These days, the importance of mental health has risen, leading to the emergence of many bloggers. Mental health bloggers in UK are now using their skills to spread mental health awareness.
Mental health disorders in the world
You should take note that most people may be diagnosed with a mental health disorder every year. Although most people don’t consult their condition with a mental health professional due to a lot of reasons.
This statistic may show that most of us are suffering from the things that stress us most or we are not aware or practising tips that could help us with this kind of aspect in our lives. The following are the most common mental health disorders in the world:\
- Alcohol and Drug Complications in affected people
- Alzheimer’s and Dementia in affected people
- Anxiety and Phobias in affected people
- Bipolar Disorder or Manic Depression in affected people
- Eating Disorders
- Learning Disabilities
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD in affected people
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder in affected children and young people
- Personality Disorders
- Physical Illness
- Postnatal Mental Health in affected people
- Post Traumatic Stress in affected people
- Problem Gambling
- Sleep Problems
You can use mental health icon to give information to others on mental illnesses.
Factors affecting mental health
There are a lot of factors that can affect our mental health. These kinds of factors can be varied to different kinds of people who are showing signs of being mentally ill.
These kinds of factors are also indicators on how to treat the affected person. The following are these factors:
- Structural factors such as safe living environments, employment, education, freedom from discrimination and ferocity, and access to economic resources in affected people
- Community factors such as a positive sense of belonging, community connectedness, activities to highlight and embrace diversity, social support, and participation in society in affected people
- Individual factors such as the ability to manage thoughts and deal with stressors and having communication and social skills to support connection with others in affected people’s lives.
Strategies that can help your mental health
There are ways that you can help your mental health when you have the spare time to do it. You only need to follow those tips that you find easy for you so that you don’t strain yourself while you are taking care of yourself.
You are lucky that these kinds of tips will be easy for you to do which means you can do them in a span of minutes with no need to take too much effort on yourself. The following are these tips that may work for your mental health:
- Get enough sleep and rest in your life. Sleep impacts our physical and mental health but can be the first thing we trade-in when we get busy or stressed in our lives.
- Take time out for things you enjoy in your life. Balance in life is important so taking time out for things you enjoy can make a difference to how you think and feel in your life
- Be active and eat well in your life. Our physical and mental health is closely related so adding exercise and nutritious food every day can make us feel better in our lives
- Nurture relationships and connect with others in our lives. Our connection to others is what builds us up and keeps us strong in our lives
- Learn to manage stress in one’s life by using self therapy. If you have trouble winding down or managing thoughts you may find relaxation, yoga or writing your feelings down helpful for your mental health. Make use of the CBT workbooks.
- Get involved and join in groups you might be interested in. Being part of a group with common interests offers a sense of belonging so find out about sporting, music, volunteer or community groups locally for your mental health
- Build your confidence in your life. Learning improves your mental fitness and taking on a new challenge can build confidence and give you a sense of achievement in your life
- Be comfortable in your own skin for your mental health. Everyone is unique and should be celebrated in one’s life. Know who you are and what makes you happy in your life.
- Set realistic goals and cope with tasks one at a time in your life. It is good to be specific when you set a goal to help keep you on track in your life
- Reach out for help when you need it in your life. Everyone needs support from time to time in one’s life. Talking to a family member, a friend, your doctor or one of the many services available can make all the difference in one’s life.
- In severe cases, use anti psychotics prescribed by your doctor.
What to do when you don’t understand mental health?
There are things you can do when you don’t understand mental health. You may seek opinions from a mental health professional who is equipped with the knowledge and experience about this kind of aspect in our lives.
You may also try to attend seminars that may help you understand what this kind of aspect is all about. The following are some things you can do to understand this kind of important aspect in our lives:
Focus on Getting Better For Your Mental Health
Don’t waste your energy arguing with your friends or relatives who are giving you a difficult time in your life. If you want, you can respectfully let them know where you stand and how you feel about what they said at that time.
However, do not engage if it’s upsetting you or triggering your symptoms that might affect your mental health in the long run. This isn’t a public relations event where you need to gain everyone’s approval as requested by this event.
This is your life and you’re the one struggling to bring it back in order. Your energy and focus should be for you to get better in your mental health.
University Mental Health Day is a national day which raises mental health awareness and allows people to work on it.
Listen to the Mental Health Professionals.
Your friends and family may mean well but when it comes down to it, they do not have the answers to your medical condition, especially your mental health condition. This is why it is advisable that you go to a certified professional for this advice.
These professionals can help you better than your family would since they are trained to keep bias away from their understanding of mental health. You can count on them when you feel the need to be heard and they are willing to listen without judgment which is very paramount among most people.
Tell Them to Learn about Your Condition For Your Mental Health
You should allow your relatives and friends to know what needs to be done for your mental health condition. This can allow you to bring them up to speed about your condition.
This can also allow them to understand what is going on with you. This can also allow them to learn what they need to do when this problem happens again with another family member.
Distance Yourself from People Who Give you a Difficult Time
You have the right to get away from people who are only bringing trouble in your life. You can do this by rejecting their offers of joining them in some gatherings they might want you in with them.
This tip might seem cruel for you but this is a necessary tip so that you can take care of yourself. In your distance, you are able to save yourself from further psychological pain.
Take Advantage of the Mental Health Help That is Available Around you.
You need to find available help that can help you with your mental health condition. This can help you a lot since these professionals will know what to do for you.
The seeking of intervention may allow you to help yourself in the long run if you commit yourself to it. You should know that you are a strong person when you seek help when you need it.
In this brief article, we have discussed understanding mental health, how mental health is understood, the purpose of understanding mental health, and more information about understanding mental health.
If you have any questions about understanding mental health, please let us know and the team will gladly answer your queries.
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
FAQs: understanding mental health
Why is it important to understand good mental health?
It is important to understand good mental health because this kind of aspect is a vital part of your life and affects your thoughts, behaviours, and emotions. Having this kind of aspect as healthy can promote productivity and effectiveness in activities such as work, caregiving or school.
What are some examples of good mental health?
Some examples that can help promote good mental health are listening to music, playing video games, watching TV, practising relaxation strategies such as meditation, tai-chi or yoga, catching up for drinks with a friend, mindfulness strategies that are helpful to manage anxiety and negative or intrusive thoughts, playing with pets, and gardening.
What is the best treatment for mental illness?
The best treatment for mental illness is psychotherapy. This kind of treatment is the therapeutic treatment of mental illness offered by a trained mental health professional. This kind of treatment investigates thoughts, behaviours, and feelings and seeks to improve an individual’s well-being. This kind of treatment can be paired with medication which is considered as the most effective way to promote recovery.
What are the best foods for mental health?
The best foods for mental health are fruits, foods with omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, dark green leafy vegetables which can help the brain stay healthy, and nuts, seeds, and legumes such as beans and lentils which are considered as excellent brain foods by experts.
What foods trigger anxiety?
The foods that trigger anxiety are processed meat, refined cereals, fried food, candy, high-fat dairy products, and pastries. These kinds of foods can also bring out the tendency for you to get depressed. You should eat a balanced diet of fibre-rich grains, vegetables, fruits, and fish which can keep you on a more even keen level.
Everymind. Understanding mental health and wellbeing.
Nami. 5 Strategies to Use When People Do Not Understand Mental Illness.
NHS. Understanding Mental Health Conditions.