In this article, we will be comparing the services of two telemedicine giants, Talkspace and Teladoc. Both these platforms offer splendid features for anyone who is looking for mental health care services online. While Talkspace strictly adheres to mental health, Teladoc offers tele-consultations for all types of health issues.
The table below will summarize the features of both these platforms to provide a clearer picture. It also shows the major differences between these two healthcare giants.
|Types of services||Therapy and Psychiatry||All types of health care|
|Pricing||Min 260 USD||Min 75 USD|
|Payment options||All major credit or debit cards, HSA, FSA||All major credit cards, Paypal,HSA, FSA, HRA|
|Age group||13 years and above||Any age group|
- It offers psychotherapy and psychiatry
- It is covered by insurance
- It can be used from anywhere
- It may be expensive for those who do not have insurance coverage
- Live sessions are not available in all the plans
- There are no group therapy sessions
- It can be used for all types of health care needs
- It provides therapy and psychiatry services for mental health care
- It offers insurance coverage
- It is not mental-health specific
- It cannot be used for emergencies
- Users have mentioned that the app is prone to glitches
Talkspace was launched in 2012 after being founded by Oren and Roni Frank as a couples counseling platform. The reason for the founding of this company was due to the various challenges the Franks themselves had faced while seeking counseling for their own relationship issues.
Picture credit: Talkspace
What started off as an online platform for exclusively couples counseling, soon turned into a major platform for all needs related to mental health care. The aim and mission of Talkspace is to make therapy and psychiatry easily accessible and affordable to anyone and everyone. The platform has more than 3000 licensed therapists who live and breathe mental health.
In this platform, users can avail mental health care in a short span of time, while also enjoying various advantageous features. Another superb thing about Talkspace is that it provides a variety of therapy plans to choose from and also offers insurance coverage through several in-network providers.
Teladoc Health or simply Teladoc is a telemedicine platform that provides all types of health care digitally. This company is primarily based in the United States, but caters to the populations of many countries at once. Teladoc was launched in 2022 and is considered to be the first and biggest telemedicine company in the US today.
Picture credit: Teladoc Health
The entire aim of Teladoc is to basically transform the healthcare experience and make it more convenient and at the same time more cost-effective. Rather than forcing the individual to go looking for the health care professional, Teladoc brings the professional to the patient. This platform operates completely online, thus bringing more comfort and convenience.
Teladoc delivers its services through telephone calls and video-conferencing through which the patient can communicate with their physicians or therapists from the comfort of their own homes. This platform is mostly recommended for medical conditions that do not require emergency attention, such as infections, influenza and even mental health conditions.
Best Features Of Talkspace
Talkspace has a wide variety of features that users can find extremely advantageous for their mental health, such as:
Several formats of therapy
There are also several formats of therapy that are available in Talkspace for users to choose from according to their preferences and conveniences. Compared to in-person therapy, Talkspace thus presents a lot of variety. In this platform, the user can have their therapy sessions through live chats, live audio sessions and even live video sessions.
Talkspace is definitely quite affordable and very cost-effective. In addition to this, the platform also offers insurance coverage through in-network providers such as Optum, Humana and Cigna. This can considerably reduce the costs of therapy and makes mental health care a lot more accessible to all classes of society.
Talkspace also offers couples therapy in addition to individual therapy sessions. Couples therapy or family therapy is highly recommended today, especially as the norms of society and the definition of family are being challenged and changed every day. Couples therapy uses behavioral techniques and coping strategies to bring more open and effective communication in the family.
In addition to individual therapy and couples therapy, Talkspace additionally offers teens therapy. This feature is designed for adolescents between the ages of 13 years and 18 years. Teens therapy may seem unnecessary for many, but is actually pretty important as this age group often faces a lot of stress and anxiety related to various areas of life.
Best features of Teladoc
In this section, we will be taking a closer look at some of the best features that Teladoc provides for its users.
Quick access to professionals
Teladoc makes it super easy to quickly access any medical professional or even mental health professional. Unlike traditional mental health care or even medical care, which requires the patient to put in lots of effort and time, Teladoc simplifies the process and brings quick access to health care for its users.
Ability to choose professionals
Once the user has signed up for the Teladoc platform, it presents the directories of medical professionals or mental health professionals who are practicing nearby. Teladoc also provides the information and bio related to the professionals which can help the user make a better choice. While compared to traditional health care, the patient has more control in Teladoc.
Teladoc aims to not only bring accessible health care, but also ensure affordable health care for everyone. To make this a reality, Teladoc allows insurance coverage through a wide variety of in-network providers. All these details are pretty clear during the sign-up process itself, and thus the user is immediately intimated of the actual costs of their health care.
Various types of sessions
In this platform, the user can communicate with their medical professionals or mental health professionals through phone sessions and even video-conferencing sessions. This can bring plenty of convenience, especially for those who are uncomfortable with face to face meetings. This variety also means that the user can receive health care pretty much from anywhere.
Pricing of Talkspace
The price of Talkspace plans can differ based on the plan that the user is choosing from. It also varies based on the location of the user. And thus, the pricing of Talkspace can vary from user to user. The average cost of Talkspace can be from $260 to $396 per month and this can go even lower if insurance is applied.
The price of Talkspace plans can further be reduced if the user is opting for a longer subscription. The plans of Talkspace are Unlimited Messaging Therapy Plus, Unlimited Messaging Therapy Premium and Unlimited Messaging Therapy Ultimate, among which the Ultimate plan provides the widest range of features for the user.
Pricing of Teladoc
The costs of Teladoc visit can depend on the type of professional or health care that the user is seeking on this platform. A General Medical visit in Teladoc can cost the user $75 per visit which can go down to as low as $0 per visit when it is covered by insurance. The visits with other professionals can differ from person to person.
Dermatology visits can cost the user $95 per visit, while mental health visits start at $99 per visit. Those who are suffering from neck and back pain can also avail a personalized plan at $49 per month. The platform also offers nutrition consultations at $95 per visit. All these are applicable to insurance coverage which can greatly reduce the costs.
Signing up for Talkspace
The signing up process for Talkspace is quite simple and the user interface of the platform and the app is very easy. Those who want to sign up for this platform can do so by following the steps described below:
- You can go to the Talkspace website or download the Talkspace app
- You will be asked to enter your email address and your password
- You will then be required to provide a nickname. This nickname or username will be your identity throughout the therapy sessions and thus provides a high level of anonymity
- Next, you will need to enter your country and state. Using your locality, Talkspace will match you with suitable mental health professionals in your region
- Talkspace will then guide you to a private room where you will be consulting with a mental health professional who will give you an intro about the platform and the various services available
Signing up for Teladoc
To sign up for this platform, you can go to the Teladoc website and provide your details in the sign-up page. In this form, you will be asked your name, your date of birth and also your country and respective zip-code. You can also choose the language in which you would prefer to communicate. Teladoc also has features for American Sign Language.
Tips for using Talkspace
We understand that Talkspace can be quite overwhelming at first glance due to the large number of features that are available here. Some tips that make your experience in this platform easy have been explained below:
- Turn off your selfie camera during your live video sessions so that you can focus better on what your therapist is saying rather than focusing on your flaws.
- You can use the various resources that are available in the Talkspace platform such as blogs and articles related to mental health. There are also many guides related to the process of online therapy itself that can be highly useful for you.
- Talkspace offers various formats of live therapy and messaging like chats, audio and video. Explore these to find what suits your needs and personality type better in order to create a better therapy experience for you.
Tips for using Teladoc
Teladoc can also be a tricky platform if users are not equipped with the right tips and suggestions. Some suggestions for users of this platform have been explained as follows:
- While using the platform for your consultations, ensure that your camera is set up at your eye-level. In doing so, you will be able to understand your doctor or professional better while being more comfortable yourself.
- It also helps if you use a high quality webcam especially for your medical consultations as your doctor will want to see you better to understand your symptoms and signs.
- Teladoc allows you to choose between phone sessions or video sessions for virtual therapy sessions. However, it also allows you to choose in-person sessions if you feel a personal connection is lacking in your virtual therapy.
Personal experiences in Talkspace
In the Talkspace mental health platform, users have experienced both highs and lows. Some of these experiences have been explained briefly in the points below:
- Users who are not able to leave the house often as they are involved in taking care of an infant or someone else, have found immense advantages in this platform as it operates entirely remotely
- Those who have extremely busy schedules and thus are not able to go to therapy during office hours have found Talkspace very flexible and highly convenient
- Some users have felt that there is a lack of personal connection, especially with messaging therapy
- Most users of Talkspace have immensely enjoyed their experience with their therapists who are properly licensed and certified and thus guaranteed to provide the highest quality of mental health care
Personal experiences in Teladoc
Clients or users of Teladoc have also been pretty vocal about their experiences on the platform. A few of the user reviews of Teladoc have been summarized in the following points:
- Users have particularly loved that the entire platform is eligible for insurance coverage, which make the physician visits free of cost
- The doctors and other medical professionals in the platform are well-experienced and thus users have encountered a mostly positive experience
- Users have also loved the quick and easy access to medical professionals for their health care needs
- Several users have complained about the low quality of video conferencing that the platform provides
The main difference between Talkspace and Teladoc is that the former is especially designed for mental health care while Teladoc can cover all types of health care, including mental health. Talkspace also offers a range of plans just for mental health, including psychotherapy as well as psychiatry services.
In Teladoc, the services for health care, including mental health are provided, are covered session to session. Thus, there is no typical subscription for mental health services here. The therapy or psychiatry sessions are conducted by phone calls or even video conferencing calls depending on the convenience of the user.
Talkspace provides three main plans for therapy; all of which include an unlimited messaging feature. Talkspace also brings an advantage of all day access and communication with the therapist. The live sessions in this platform are additionally of various types that the user can choose from according to their preferences.
BetterHelp: A Better Alternative
If you are on the prowl for an amazing platform that offers superb mental health services, we would highly recommend BetterHelp. BetterHelp offers individual therapy services, couples therapy services and even therapy for teenagers. Furthermore, the platform also provides group therapy sessions that are conducted about once a week.
The subscription to BetterHelp is pretty affordable and while there is no insurance coverage here, the platform provides financial assistance to those who are unemployed, disabled and even those who have veteran status. The financial assistance needs to be renewed every three months and can reduce the costs of therapy by up to 25 per cent.
Frequently asked questions:
Does Talkspace prescribe medication?
Yes, Talkspace can prescribe medication as it offers psychiatry services in addition to therapy for its users. The psychiatrists in Talkspace are licensed and experienced and thus the user is guaranteed of high quality services. However, it has to be noted that controlled substances like Xanax and Adderall cannot be prescribed through this platform.
Is Teladoc good for mental health?
Yes, Teladoc is good for mental health. The mental health visits in Teladoc can be availed at very low costs especially if you are covered by insurance. This platform can not only be used for therapy but also for medication. In addition to this, Teladoc offers complete health care packages which can improve the users overall health, and not just their mental health status.
Can you get a diagnosis from Talkspace?
No, you cannot get a diagnosis from Talkspace. While the therapists and other mental health professionals in this platform are licensed and certified, they are still not allowed to provide diagnosis for mental health conditions. However, they are still certified to provide mental health care in the form of psychotherapy and medication.
If you like this article, please post your comments and questions below.