In this guide, we will discuss “sample resignation letter teacher UK”, what you should and should not include in your resignation letter, some free examples you can use at your convenience and some additional considerations.
Sample resignation letter teacher UK
Sample resignation letters for teachers in the UK are all over the internet. You can even download a resignation template (ms word or PDF), modify the information according to your personal circumstances (e.g. new job position, personal reasons, maternity leave, retirement, etc.), print it, sign it and hand in your resignation.
This considering you have carefully thought about your decision or the reasons that are moving you to resign. In addition, consider any contractual terms and conditions such as the best time of the year when you can resign or the notice period that usually is indicated in your employment agreement. It does not really matter if you had a teaching assistant role or any other role at the school, it is important to write a formal resignation letter.
Overcoming the challenges of writing a resignation letter
When your employment contract is signed, both parties agree to keep the employment relationship going for an entire academic year. But it can happen that you decide to resign mid-year for various reasons and schools certainly don’t like it when it happens because it disrupts the learning experience of their students.
However, some of the reasons that can cause a teacher to leave a school in the middle of the year may include being dissatisfied with the school policies, management, negative working environment (e.g. issues with other colleagues), classroom changes, an unexpected illness, family issues, etc., meaning you may no longer want to continue to fulfill your teaching contract until the end of the school year.
If you have informally discussed with your employer about your intention to leave then, here are some tips to consider when writing your resignation letter:
- Be concise and straight to the point. Keep it short and simple, this is not the perfect occasion to ramble or complain. Make sure to include your name and contact information, teaching position and state your intention to resign.
- Give proper notice and be considerate. This will allow the school to have time to find a suitable replacement. Even more so if you are resigning mid-year, not easy to find a replacement in the middle of the school year.
- Listing a reason for leaving is not required but you could briefly mention “personal reasons” or “health issues” without giving too much detail.
- Be professional. Avoid venting and letting all your frustration out in the letter, this is not the time to do it. Use only a positive and professional tone when writing your letter even if your experience working for your employer was not the best of your career.
- Be aware of the consequences of resigning. If you decide to resign mid-year it could look bad to the future employers and they can conclude that if you have decided to terminate your employment contract in the middle of the school year then you might do it again (unless you already have a new job lined up).
Sample 1: Resignation letter teacher UK
“Mr. A. Employee
1, My House
Mrs. A. Manager
Resignation from my position of SUBJECT Teacher
Please accept this letter as my resignation from the position of SUBJECT Teacher. I have decided to resign from my position as I feel that my skills have been challenged to their limits in my current role and I feel that it is time that I experienced something new and have found a different teaching role I would like to pursue.
I will, of course, be very sad to say goodbye to SCHOOL NAME and all the pupils I have taught, the teachers and colleagues that I have worked with. I feel that I have been given an excellent opportunity working for SCHOOL NAME under your guidance as a Head Teacher and for that, I am eternally grateful.
In accordance with my terms and conditions of employment, my last working day will be DATE (maybe you may make it the end of the half-term or term depending on the circumstances and of course your contract).
I would be grateful if you could forward me my P45 and any outstanding monies including holiday pay at the end of my contract.
Thank you again for the experience that you have given me, I am very grateful.
Best Wishes for the future.
You can find a printable version here.
Sample 2: Resignation letter teacher UK
City, State Zip Code
Kakuro Central Schools
City, State Zip Code
Dear Ms. Acorn,
Please accept my resignation from my position as a fourth-grade Teacher at Kakuro Elementary School. My last day will be June 25, 20XX.
My students have given me great pleasure over the years, and the administration has been very supportive during my tenure with the school district.
I wish you all the best. If I can be of any assistance to you during the remainder of the term, please let me know.
Signature (hard copy letter)
cc: David Sterns, Principal, Kakuro Elementary School”
Sample 3: Resignation letter teacher UK
Ms. (your name)
City, Postal code
Mr./Ms. (name of the principal)
Name of the school
City, postal code
Dear, (name of the principal)
Please accept this letter as my formal intention to resign from my position as a (name your class and job role) with the (name of the school). My last day of employment will be (date).
This teaching position with this particular class has given me the greatest pleaser and the most enjoyable experiences over the past couple of years. I highly appreciate the support and guidance received during my time working at (name of school).
I wish everyone in this school the best, moving forward. If I can be of assistance to you during the remaining period, please let me know.
Signature (hard copy)”
Sample 4: Resignation letter teacher UK (form teacher to parents)
Your City, State Zip Code
Your Phone Number
City, State Zip Code
Please accept this letter as my regretful resignation from my position as a fourth-grade teacher at Lake Harkin Elementary. In just over a month, I will be taking a few years off to work with the Peace Corps. I have always been very passionate about volunteering, and through the program, my next opportunity will be taking me to Sri Lanka. I have thoroughly enjoyed teaching your children, and I look forward to the good I’ll be able to do overseas.
Ms. Michelle Warren will be replacing me as your children’s new teacher. She is a qualified, tenured teacher with an immense amount of elementary education experience, so I have no doubt that she is a perfect fit for the job.
In the coming weeks, the school will send out more information regarding the change and sign-ups for parent-teacher meeting dates so that you will all be able to meet her. I will be introducing her to your children on Wednesday of this week. During this transition, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. My phone number is still my mobile phone, at (555) 555-5555.
I cannot thank you enough for the joy your children have given me this year. Working at LHE has been an incredible experience, and I will always look back on my years here with fond memories. Thank you for the opportunity to teach your children, and I do hope you will stay in touch. I am excited to learn about all the amazing things they will do in the future.
Your Signature (hard copy letter)
Your Typed Name”
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the sample resignation letter teacher UK
How do I write a letter of resignation as a teacher UK?
If you are a teacher in the UK, here are some tips on how to write a letter of resignation as a teacher:
– First, decide if you do want to leave your actual job and consider the date that would be your last day of work.
– Discuss with your employer your intention of leaving as an informal courtesy.
– Write your letter of resignation with the agreed dates and a brief reason for leaving.
– Hand in your official resignation letter as part of a formal notice of your intention.-
How should a teacher write a resignation letter?
As a teacher writing your resignation letter consider the following:
– Be concise, short and straight to the point.
– Give proper notice by checking the terms in your employment agreement about the notice period.
– Maintain a professional attitude, tone and be polite when writing your letter.
– If possible, arrange for an exit interview.
– Be certain of your decision, have a discussion with your employer, and hand in your resignation letter.
How do I resign as a teacher?
Resigning as a teacher is pretty much the same as in any other job. Make sure you write a respectful resignation letter including the information from your principal (or who the letter is directed to), your school, stating your intention of leaving and the date that will be your last day of work (in accordance with any notice period) and briefly state the reason for leaving. Thank your employer, add your preferred closing, your name, and signature.
How do you write a letter of resignation to a principal?
To write a letter of resignation directed to your principal, remember to:
– Explain briefly the reason why you are leaving.
– Refrain from making any negative comments about the principal, the school or your colleagues.
– Use a polite language that reflects how professional you are.
– Mention the date when your resignation will be effective (taking into consideration any notice period).
How do I resign immediately?
If you intend to resign immediately consider:
– Calling your employer as soon as possible.
– State briefly the reasons for your sudden leave.
– Try at least to give a 2-weeks notice so they have some time to find your replacement.
– Submit your resignation letter stating your immediate resignation.
Other sample resignation letters
Below are some of the other resignation letters we curated.
If you are looking for a job, you should also ideally start your job research on job websites such as Indeed.
|Resign letter due to marriage reason|
|Resignation letter bullying boss|
|Resignation letter due to bad behaviour of boss sample|
|Resignation letter due to bad work environment|
|Resignation letter due to bullying|
|Resignation letter due to company relocation|
Icover.org.uk: “Teacher Resignation Letter”
Alstad, C. (2018, Nov.) How to Write a Teacher Resignation Letter Without Burning Bridges. Retrieved from Resumes-for-teachers.com.
Edarabia.com: “How to Write a Teacher Resignation Letter (Samples & Tips)”
Doyle, A. (2019, Feb.) Teacher Resignation Letter Examples. Retrieved from Thebalance careers.com.