In this guide we will discuss sabbatical leave letter for child care, samples, what sabbatical means and how you could ask for it.
Sabbatical leave letter for child care
A sabbatical leave letter for child care is a simple letter that is written to ask for a leave period in which you do not report to your regular job but you remain employed with a company.
It is also known as a “career break” or “adult gap year”, which in summary means a period away from work, agreed with your employer.
Moreover, there are no laws that regulate or deal specifically with taking a career break, and your employer is not obligated to offer you sabbatical.
In some cases, your employer will offer unpaid leave of absence.
Many people opt for requesting a sabbatical leave letter for child care, family emergency (when you are a caregiver of a family member that required your full attention) or a family problem.
However, there are other types of leave like for example maternity leave, parental leave, vacation leave, sick leave, among others.
Make sure you know your rights and what type of leave you are entitled to that fits better your needs before considering asking for a sabbatical.
How do I write a Sabbatical leave letter for child care?
Here are some recommendations when writing a sabbatical leave letter for child care or a Sabbatical leave letter for any reason:
- Find out who should be the recipient fo your letter, such as your supervisor, manager, boss or the manager of Human Resources.
- Copy other people that should also be aware of your request or that may be involved in the process.
- Add the actual date of your request at the top of your letter.
- Begin your letter stating your intention or requesting leave in a professional and polite manner.
- Include the desired duration of your sabbatical leave.
- Add some background on how long have you been working for your employer and if you have been with the company a long time it may actually work on your favour when gaining approval of your request.
- In one or two paragraphs explain why you are seeking the sabbatical but without appearing too emotional about any potential situation you may be facing.
- Try to express enthusiasm about returning to your position once the sabbatical leave period is over. It is important to let your company you are loyal and you care about your position. Briefly describe what you like about your actual job and the contributions you enjoy making.
- Close your letter thanking them and saying that you will follow up on your request. Leave your preferred contact details so your recipient can call you if they have any additional questions.
- Always proofread and edit your letter to avoid any grammar or spelling errors.
Sample 1: Sabbatical Leave letter for child care
“Dear Sir / Madam,
I _______(Your name) working in ______ (Section/Department), Regional Office, Bhopal delivered a baby ___(girl/boy) and currently on Maternity Leave.
My husband is into an ______ (IT/manufacturing Company) with extensive working hours allowing him with very limited availability to support me in taking care of the baby. My mother-in-law is _________________(mention reason why your mother-in-law is not able to support you Ex. she is State Govt employee posted in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh with very limited leaves). Initially she was available to assist me for _____ (no. of days/month) month exhausting her leaves completely.
Due to untimely demise of my mother in the past, I have no support from my family. I am the primary caretaker of the baby needs taking care of her 24×7, as there is no relative or family member to support me.
I humbly request you to consider my condition and sanction a Child Care leave for a period of ____(no.of days) days. This will help me to take care of my growing kid.
Thank You for all your support.”
Sample 2: Sabbatical Leave letter for child care
“Dear (name of recipient),
I would like to formally request a 12-month sabbatical leave, commencing on (state the date). I have been in (name of your position) at this company for (amount of months/years) and would like to take care of my child who needs my full attention due to ill health.
I hope to be able to return to resume my job duties on (state the estimated date). I believe that my current job position will allow me to keep providing the company with (state the benefits) while working from home.
During my time off. I will be available at my cell phone number (phone number) or my email (email address) if any questions arise during my absence. I am very much looking forward to taking the time off for this unforeseen situation and ensure the recovery of my child’s health.
Sample 3: Sabbatical Leave letter for child care
The Managing Director
Subject: (Child Care Leave Application)
I Nasima Khatun (Your Name) working in Accounts department (Your Department) as Junior Accountant (Your Designation) at your reputed office.
I am writing this letter to you to inform you that I am currently on Maternity Leave and delivered a baby on 10.01.2018 and want to request you to extend my maternity leave for two months more as my husband works in a different city and could not help me in taking care of our baby.
We could not find a nanny for our child yet that’s why I need some extra day leave to take care of my baby.
There is no relative or close friend who can take care of our baby. So, I request you to grant me some extra day leave. I will be very much grateful to you if you grant my leave application.
Junior Accountant (Your Designation)
Sample 4: Sabbatical Leave letter for child care
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about sabbatical leave letter for child care
How do I write an application letter for child care leave?
You can write an application letter for child care leave following this example:
“Respected Sir/Madam, I (Your Name) working in Accounts department (Your Department) as Junior Accountant (Your Designation) at your reputed office. I am writing this letter to you to inform you that I am currently on Maternity Leave and delivered a baby on —–.”
How do I request a sabbatical leave?
To request a sabbatical leave we recommend to:
– Do your research about your company’s policies and your legal rights.
– Make yourself valuable.
– Show the value and the reasons why you are asking for a sabbatical.
– Consider offering assistance on training someone else to cover while you are on leave.
– Request for a sabbatical in a very professional and polite manner, also make sure you ask with plenty of time so your employer has enough time to find a replacement.
How do I write a letter asking for leave from work?
When writing a letter asking for leave from work make sure to:
– Explicitly request leave of absence from your duties.
– Include the dates you expect to be away from work.
– Include the date you are planing to come back to work.
– Offer assistance, if possible, making a smooth transition.
– Thank your employer for considering your leave from work.
How do I write a week leave application?
To write a week leave application consider:
– Including a polite and professional salutation.
– Stating the purpose of the application in the form of a “subject”.
– Including the reason for leave in a short and concise way.
– Adding the dates you will need the leave for.
– Suggesting a wok plan while you are absent.
– Including your contact information or where it is best to reach you at.
– Including your name and signature.
How do I apply for child care leave?
To apply for child care leave make sure to know the policies and current employment rights.
If you are eligible, you can take unpaid parental leave to look after your child’s welfare for instance, if you consider you need to spend more time with your child, to look at new schools, settle children into new childcare arrangements or spend more time with your family (e.g. visiting grandparents).
- Leave of absence letter for personal reasons (Samples)
- Unpaid leave of absence letter sample (Samples)
- Sick Leave Letter from doctor (Samples)
- Sample letter of leave of absence from work
- Sample letter for leave of absence from work due to illness (Samples)
Other sample resignation letters
Below are some of the other resignation letters we curated.
If you are looking for a job, you should also ideally start your job research on job websites such as Indeed.
Formatsplanet.com: “Application for Child Care Leave”.
Ultimateletter.com: “Child Care Leave Application Sample and Pattern”.
Wroblewski, M.T. (n.d.) How to Write a Letter Requesting a Sabbatical. Retrieved from Work.chron.com.