In this blog post, we talk about what is “reality” and how we define it. You will also find some of the most inspirational quotes about reality.
How to define reality?
What do we really mean by the term “reality”?
A direct answer would be that reality is all those elements that can be recognized by our 5 senses – everything we can see, smell, touch, hear, taste.
However, this answer ignores other entities such as electrons, recession and number 5, which we cannot feel, but which are very real.
It also ignores phantom limbs and illusory odors. Both may appear to be extremely real, but we would like to say that they are not part of reality.
There are, however, two definitions of reality that are much more concrete.
The first equates reality with a world in which we do not exist, a world untouched by human desires and intentions.
By this definition, many of the things we normally consider to be real – languages, wars, financial crises – are not part of reality.
However, it is the strongest definition so far because it takes human subjectivity out of the equation.
The second equates reality with the most fundamental things, on which all others depend.
In the material world, molecules depend on constituent atoms, which in turn depend on protons and neutrons and so on.
In this hierarchy, each level depends on the one below it, so we can define reality as consisting of those entities that underlie the chain of dependence and thus do not depend on anything else.
Even so, when investigating whether a particular thing is real or not, these two final definitions represent the model we should consider.
See below over 135 reality quotes, to build your own definition of what reality means.
5 reality quotes
- “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” ― Dr. Seuss
- “When someone loves you, the way they talk about you is different. You feel safe and comfortable.” ― Jess C. Scott
- “I’ve been making a list of the things they don’t teach you at school. They don’t teach you how to love somebody. They don’t teach you how to be famous. They don’t teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don’t teach you how to walk away from someone you don’t love any longer. They don’t teach you how to know what’s going on in someone else’s mind. They don’t teach you what to say to someone who’s dying. They don’t teach you anything worth knowing.” ― Neil Gaiman
- “We all die. The goal isn’t to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.” ― Chuck Palahniuk
- “It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” ― Philip K.
15 reality quotes
- “I believe in everything until it’s disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it’s in your mind. Who’s to say that dreams and nightmares aren’t as real as the here and now?” ― John Lennon
- “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” ― Albert Einstein
- “People are afraid of themselves, of their own reality; their feelings most of all. People talk about how great love is, but that’s nothing. Love hurts. Feelings are disturbing. People are taught that pain is evil and dangerous. How can they deal with love if they’re afraid to feel? Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they’re wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a radio. You feel your strength in the experience of pain. It’s all in how you carry it. That’s what matters. Pain is a feeling. Your feelings are a part of you. Your own reality. If you feel ashamed of them, and hide them, you’re letting society destroy your reality. You should stand up for your right to feel your pain.” ― Jim Morrison
- “We have to allow ourselves to be loved by the people who really love us, the people who really matter. Too much of the time, we are blinded by our own pursuits of people to love us, people that don’t even matter, while all that time we waste and the people who do love us have to stand on the sidewalk and watch us beg in the streets! It’s time to put an end to this. It’s time for us to let ourselves be loved.” ― C. JoyBell C.
- “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.” ― Philip K.
- “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” ― Lao Tzu
- “It’s funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.” ― Rick Riordan
- “Thinking something does not make it true. Wanting something does not make it real.” ― Michelle Hodkin
- “One person’s craziness is another person’s reality.” ― Tim Burton
- “Reality doesn’t impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.” ― Anaïs Nin
- “The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities of the universe about us, the less taste we shall have for destruction.” ― Rachel Carson
- “Scars have the strange power to remind us that our past is real.” ― Cormac McCarthy
- “To really be a nerd, she’d decided, you had to prefer fictional worlds to the real one.” ― Rainbow Rowell
- “The real world is where the monsters are.” ― Rick Riordan
- “Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.” ― Soren Kierkegaard
20 reality quotes
- “Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.” ― John Lennon
- “Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.” ― Lewis Carroll
- “Reality is frequently inaccurate.” ― Douglas Adams
- “Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures.” ― Jessamyn West
- “Harry Potter isn’t real? Oh no! Wait, wait, what do you mean by real? Is this video blog real? Am I real if you can see me and hear me, but only through the internet? Are you real if I can read your comment but I don’t know who you are or what your name is or where you’re from or what you look like or how old you are? I know all of those things about Harry Potter. Maybe Harry Potter’s real and you’re not.” ― John Green
- “Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.” ― Frank Herbert
- “nothing in this world was more difficult than love.” ― Gabriel García Márquez
- “Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else.” ― George Orwell
- “Words can be twisted into any shape. Promises can be made to lull the heart and entice the soul. In the final analysis, words mean nothing. They are labels we give things in an effort to wrap our puny little brains around their underlying natures, when ninety-nine percent of the time the totality of reality is an entirely different beast. The wisest man is the silent one. Examine his actions. Judge him by them.” ― Karen Marie Moning
- “I just wanted to tell you that I understand if you go. It’s okay if you have to leave us. It’s okay if you want to stop fighting.” ― Gayle Forman
- “Illusion is Reality’s coy lover who cheers him when he is grim. Illusion is cunning to his wisdom of ages, sweet oblivion to his knowledge. A bounty to his lack. [Sabine]” ― Kresley Cole
- “Life is painful and disappointing. It is useless, therefore, to write new realistic novels. We generally know where we stand in relation to reality and don’t care to know any more.” ― Michel Houellebecq
- “You get what you give. What you put into things is what you get out of them.” ― Jennifer Lopez
- “A man breaking his journey between one place and another at a third place of no name, character, population or significance, sees a unicorn cross his path and disappear. That in itself is startling, but there are precedents for mystical encounters of various kinds, or to be less extreme, a choice of persuasions to put it down to fancy; until–“My God,” says a second man, “I must be dreaming, I thought I saw a unicorn.” At which point, a dimension is added that makes the experience as alarming as it will ever be. A third witness, you understand, adds no further dimension but only spreads it thinner, and a fourth thinner still, and the more witnesses there are the thinner it gets and the more reasonable it becomes until it is as thin as reality, the name we give to the common experience… “Look, look!” recites the crowd. “A horse with an arrow in its forehead! It must have been mistaken for a deer.” ― Tom Stoppard
- “Nothing ever becomes real till experienced – even a proverb is no proverb until your life has illustrated it” ― John Keats
- “So it is more useful to watch a man in times of peril, and in adversity to discern what kind of man he is; for then at last words of truth are drawn from the depths of his heart, and the mask is torn off, reality remains.” ― Lucretius
- “A man can live on his wits and his balls for only so long.” ― Hunter S. Thompson
- “If it looks real and feels real, do you think it matters if it’s real?” ― Daniel Nayeri
- “Humanity does not suffer from the disease of wrong beliefs but humanity suffers from the contagious nature of the lack of belief. If you have no magic with you it is not because magic does not exist but it is because you do not believe in it. Even if the sun shines brightly upon your skin every day, if you do not believe in the sunlight, the sunlight for you does not exist.” ― C. JoyBell C.
- “That’s how the madness of the world tries to colonize you: from the outside in, forcing you to live in its reality.” ― Jeff VanderMeer
30 reality quotes
- “You don’t have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is.” ― Red Haircrow
- “A fit, healthy body—that is the best fashion statement” ― Jess C Scott
- “Closed in a room, my imagination becomes the universe, and the rest of the world is missing out.” ― Criss Jami
- “If you’ve never eaten while crying you don’t know what life tastes like.” ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “Nothing ever becomes real ’till it is experienced.” ― John Keats
- “No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.” ― Shirley Jackson
- “The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” ― Robertson Davies
- “Last night I wept. I wept because the process by which I have become a woman was painful. I wept because I was no longer a child with a child’s blind faith. I wept because my eyes were opened to reality….I wept because I could not believe anymore and I love to believe. I can still love passionately without believing. That means I love people. I wept because I have lost my pain and I am not yet accustomed to its absence.” ― Anaïs Nin
- “The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.” ― Alan Wilson Watts
- “Reality is just a crutch for people who can’t handle drugs.” ― Robin Williams
- “There is no point in using the word ‘impossible’ to describe something that has clearly happened.”― Douglas Adams
- “Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.” ― Mark Twain
- “There is no reality except the one contained within us. That is why so many people live such an unreal life. They take the images outside of them for reality and never allow the world within to assert itself.” ― Hermann Hesse
- “V-Day…if you need this one day in a year to show everyone else you truly care for “your loved one” I think it’s quite stupid. I hate this commercialism. It’s all artificial, and has nothing to do with real love.”― Jess C Scott
- “Nothing is real.” ― John Lennon
- “Cherish those who seek the truth but beware of those who find it.” ― Voltaire
- “Humankind cannot bear very much reality.” ― T. S. Eliot
- “There’s no way that Michael Jackson or whoever Jackson should have a million thousand drupal billion dollars and then there’s people starving. There’s no way! There’s no way that these people should own planes and there people don’t have houses. Apartments. Shacks. Drawers. Pants! I know you’re rich. I know you got 40 billion dollars, but can you just keep it to one house? You only need ONE house. And if you only got two kids, can you just keep it to two rooms? I mean why have 52 rooms and you know there’s somebody with no room?! It just doesn’t make sense to me. It doesn’t.” ― Tupac Shakur
- “You don’t get explanations in real life. You just get moments that are absolutely, utterly, inexplicably odd.” ― Neil Gaiman
- “I suffer from life and from other people. I can’t look at reality face to face. Even the sun discourages and depresses me. Only at night and all alone, withdrawn, forgotten and lost, with no connection to anything real or useful — only then do I find myself and feel comforted.” ― Fernando Pessoa
- “Nothing exists until or unless it is observed. An artist is making something exist by observing it. And his hope for other people is that they will also make it exist by observing it. I call it ‘creative observation.’ Creative viewing.” ― William S. Burroughs
- “You can’t just wish change; you have to live the change in order for it to become a reality.” ― Steve Maraboli
- “If you want to find the real competition, just look in the mirror. After a while you’ll see your rivals scrambling for second place.” ― Criss Jami
- “The best way to keep something bad from happening is to see it ahead of time… and you can’t see it if you refuse to face the possibility.” ― William S. Burroughs
- “A dream you once were,
A dream of all my realities,
A dream I can no long strive for
In the wake of my manly betrayals” ― C. Elizabeth
- “In imagination she sailed over storied seas that wash the distant shining shores of “faëry lands forlorn,” where lost Atlantis and Elysium lie, with the evening star for pilot, to the land of Heart’s Desire. And she was richer in those dreams than in realities; for things seen pass away, but the things that are unseen are eternal.” ― L.M. Montgomery
- “When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.” ― Margery Williams Bianco
- “It has been said of dreams that they are a ‘controlled psychosis,’ or, put another way, a psychosis is a dream breaking through during waking hours.” ― Philip K.
- “Nostalgia is an illness
for those who haven’t realized
is tomorrow’s nostalgia.” ― Zeena Schreck
- “In truth, there are only two realities: the one for people who are in love or love each other, and the one for people who are standing outside all that.” ― Charles Baxter
35 reality quotes
- “I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching.” ― Chuck Palahniuk
- “Writing a novel is a terrible experience, during which the hair often falls out and the teeth decay. I’m always irritated by people who imply that writing fiction is an escape from reality. It is a plunge into reality and it’s very shocking to the system.” ― Flannery O’Connor
- “To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Betrayal is the only truth that sticks.” ― Arthur Miller
- “Reality is crushing. The world is a wrong-sized shoe. How can anyone stand it?” ― Jandy Nelson
- “I am who I am and that’s who I am” ― Nikolai Gogol
- “The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.” ― Albert Einstein
- “We were promised sufferings. They were part of the program. We were even told, ‘Blessed are they that mourn,’ and I accept it. I’ve got nothing that I hadn’t bargained for. Of course it is different when the thing happens to oneself, not to others, and in reality, not imagination.” ― C.S. Lewis
- “The most confused you will ever get is when you try to convince your heart and spirit of something your mind knows is a lie.” ― Shannon L. Alder
- “If you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it’s not because they enjoy solitude. It’s because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them.” ― Jodi Picoult
- “My head will explode if I continue with this escapism.” ― Jess C Scott
- “The appearance of things changes according to the emotions; and thus we see magic and beauty in them, while the magic and beauty are really in ourselves.” ― Kahlil Gibran
- “In dreams you don’t need to make any distinctions between things. Not at all. Boundaries don’t exist. So in dreams there are hardly ever collisions. Even if there are, they don’t hurt. Reality is different. Reality bites. Reality, reality.” ― Haruki Murakami
- “Farewells can be shattering, but returns are surely worse. Solid flesh can never live up to the bright shadow cast by its absence. Time and distance blur the edges; then suddenly the beloved has arrived, and it’s noon with its merciless light, and every spot and pore and wrinkle and bristle stands clear.” ― Margaret Atwood
- “Understand me. I’m not like an ordinary world. I have my madness, I live in another dimension and I do not have time for things that have no soul.” ― Charles Bukowski
- “The more real you get the more unreal the world gets. ” ― John Lennon
- “When you are mad, mad like this, you don’t know it. Reality is what you see. When what you see shifts, departing from anyone else’s reality, it’s still reality to you.” ― Marya Hornbacher
- “You must accept the reality of other people. You think that reality is up for negotiation, that we think it’s whatever you say it is. You must accept that we are as real as you are; you must accept that you are not God.” ― J.K. Rowling
- “There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” ― Patrick Rothfuss
- “Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent.” ― Arthur Conan Doyle
- “That’s how I know they are dreams. Because the simple and plain and everyday things are the ones that we can never have. (Cassia Reyes)” ― Ally Condie
- “Why can I never go back to bed? Who’s voice ringing in my head? Where is the sense in these desperate dreams? Why should I wake when I’m half past dead?” ― Emilie Autumn
- “The world of reality has its limits; the world of imagination is boundless.” ― Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- “Reality is not always probable, or likely.” ― Jorge Luis Borges
- “[Horror fiction] shows us that the control we believe we have is purely illusory, and that every moment we teeter on chaos and oblivion.” ― Clive Barker
- “Reality’s what other people dream for you.” ― Maggie Stiefvater
- “Outside, the ocean was crashing, waves hitting sand, then pulling back to sea. I thought of everything being washed away, again and again. We make such messes in this life, both accidentally and on purpose. But wiping the surface clean doesn’t really make anything neater. It just masks what is below. It’s only when you really dig down deep, go underground, that you can see who you really are.” ― Sarah Dessen
- “Because horror on Earth is real and it is every day. It is like a flower or like the sun; it cannot be contained.” ― Alice Sebold
- “Not only is the Universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think.” ― Werner Heisenberg
- “Most people believe the mind to be a mirror, more or less accurately reflecting the world outside them, not realizing on the contrary that the mind is itself the principal element of creation.” ― rabindranath tagore
- “I am living in a nightmare, from which from time to time I wake in sleep.” ― Ursula K. Le Guin
- “Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it’s less good than the one you had before. You can fight it, you can do nothing but scream about what you’ve lost, or you can accept that and try to put together something that’s good.” ― Elizabeth Edwards
- “…reality, however utopian, is something from which people feel the need of taking pretty frequent holidays….” ― Aldous Huxley
- “The pre-Socratic Greek philosopher Parmenides taught that the only things that are real are things which never change… and the pre-Socratic Greek philosopher Heraclitus taught that everything changes. If you superimpose their two views, you get this result: Nothing is real.” ― Philip K.
- “As sure as water’s wet and days are long and a friend will always disappoint you in the end.” ― Neil Gaiman
45 reality quotes
- “Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become.” ― C.S. Lewis
- “Imaginary evil is romantic and varied; real evil is gloomy, monotonous, barren, boring. Imaginary good is boring; real good is always new, marvelous, intoxicating.” ― Simone Weil
- “Maybe you could be mine / or maybe we’ll be entwined / aimless in this sexless foreplay.” ― Jess C Scott
- “If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform a million realities.” ― Maya Angelou
- “That’s sad. How plastic and artificial life has become. It gets harder and harder to find something…real.” Nin interlocked his fingers, and stretched out his arms. “Real love, real friends, real body parts…” ― Jess C Scott
- “Self pity is easily the most destructive of the non-medical narcotics; it is addictive, gives momentary pleasure and separates the victim from reality.” ― John Gardner
- “I suppose it’s not a social norm, and not a manly thing to do — to feel, discuss feelings. So that’s what I’m giving the finger to. Social norms and stuff…what good are social norms, really? I think all they do is project a limited and harmful image of people. It thus impedes a broader social acceptance of what someone, or a group of people, might actually be like.” ― Jess C Scott
- “I would not have you descend into your own dream. I would have you be a conscious citizen of this terrible and beautiful world.” ― Ta-Nehisi Coates
- “It’s funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you watch them on a screen.” ― anthony burgess
- “Children know perfectly well that unicorns aren’t real, but they also know that books about unicorns, if they are good books, are true books.” ― Ursula K. Le Guin
- “As a girl, she had come to believe in the ideal man — the prince or knight of her childhood stories. In the real world, however, men like that simply didn’t exist.” ― Nicholas Sparks
- “Sometimes I think people take reality for granted.” ― Francesca Zappia
- “The reality of loving God is loving him like he’s a Superhero who actually saved you from stuff rather than a Santa Claus who merely gave you some stuff.” ― Criss Jami
- “The thing about real life is, when you do something stupid, it normally costs you. In books the heroes can make as many mistakes as they like. It doesn’t matter what they do, because everything works out in the end. They’ll beat the bad guys and put things right and everything ends up cool.
In real life, vacuum cleaners kill spiders. If you cross a busy road without looking, you get whacked by a car. If you fall from a tree, you break some bones.
Real life’s nasty. It’s cruel. It doesn’t care about heroes and happy endings and the way things should be. In real life, bad things happen. People die. Fights are lost. Evil often wins. I just wanted to make that clear before I began.” ― Darren Shan
- “Please, touch me, I pray.” ― Jess C Scott
- “What if reality is nothing but some disease?” ― Chuck Palahniuk
- “Adults…struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it’s not real.” ― Grant Morrison
- “It is far harder to kill a phantom than a reality.” ― Virginia Woolf
- “Il n’y a de réalité que dans l’action.
(There is no reality except in action.)” ― Jean-Paul Sartre
- “There either is or is not, that’s the way things are. The colour of the day. The way it felt to be a child. The saltwater on your sunburnt legs. Sometimes the water is yellow, sometimes it’s red. But what colour it may be in memory, depends on the day. I’m not going to tell you the story the way it happened. I’m going to tell it the way I remember it. — Great Expectations (1998) directed by Alfonso Cuarón” ― Mitch Glazer
- “The secret of happiness is to face the fact that the world is horrible, horrible, horrible.” ― Betrand Russell
- “Every now and then, I’d meet a guy and think that we were getting along great, and suddenly I’d stop hearing from him. Not only did he stop calling, but if I happened to bump into him sometime later he always acted like I had the plague. I didn’t understand it. I still don’t. And it bothered me. It hurt me. With time, it got harder and harder to keep blaming the guys, and I eventually came to the conclusion that there was something wrong with me. That maybe I was simply meant to live my life alone.” ― Nicholas Sparks
- “Never say that you can’t do something, or that something seems impossible, or that something can’t be done, no matter how discouraging or harrowing it may be; human beings are limited only by what we allow ourselves to be limited by: our own minds. We are each the masters of our own reality; when we become self-aware to this: absolutely anything in the world is possible.
Master yourself, and become king of the world around you. Let no odds, chastisement, exile, doubt, fear, or ANY mental virii prevent you from accomplishing your dreams. Never be a victim of life; be it’s conqueror.” ― Mike Norton
- “Reality is a projection of your thoughts or the things you habitually think about.” ― Stephen Richards
- “It’s just that you’re about to do something out of the ordinary. And after you do something like that, the everyday look of things might seem to change a little. Things may look different to you than they did before. But don’t let appearances fool you. There’s always only one reality.” ― Haruki Murakami
- “I don’t believe one reads to escape reality. A person reads to confirm a reality he knows is there, but which he has not experienced.” ― Lawrence Durrell
- “The dreams we are chasing and the reality that is chasing us are always parallel; they never meet.” ― Ai Yazawa
- “Dance above the surface of the world. Let your thoughts lift you into creativity that is not hampered by opinion.” ― Red Haircrow
- “Life keeps throwing me lemons because I make the best lemonade…” ― King James Gadsden
- “Ever since the Cognitive Revolution, Sapiens have thus been living in a dual reality. On the one hand, the objective reality of rivers, trees and lions; and on the other hand, the imagined reality of gods, nations and corporations. As time went by, the imagined reality became ever more powerful, so that today the very survival of rivers, trees and lions depends on the grace of imagined entities such as the United States and Google.” ― Yuval Noah Harari
- “Real life is only ever just real life. Messy. What it means depends on how you look at it. The only thing you’ve got to do is find a way to live there.” ― Patrick Ness
- “Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached. ” ― Simone Weil
- “Reality is one of the possibilities I cannot afford to ignore” ― Leonard Cohen
- “The world is 3 days: As for yesterday, it has vanished along with all that was in it. As for tomorrow, you may never see it. As for today, it is yours, so work on it.” ― Hasan Al-Basri
- “Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn’t want to live there.” ― Adam Young
- “if something is there, you can only see it with your eyes open, but if it isn’t there, you can see it just as well with your eyes closed. That’s why imaginary things are often easier to see than real ones.” ― Norton Juster
- “The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness.” ― Vladimir Nabokov
- “No word matters. But man forgets reality and remembers words.” ― Roger Zelazny
- “Do you imagine the universe is agitated? Go into the desert at night and look at the stars. This practice should answer the question.” ― Lao Tzu
- “It was queer how sometimes a child’s innocent eyes can see things that grown men are blind to.” ― George R.R. Martin
- “The things other people have put into my head, at any rate, do not fit together nicely, are often useless and ugly, are out of proportion with one another, are out of proportion with life as it really is outside my head.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
- “When one realises one is asleep, at that moment one is already half-awake.” ― P.D. Ouspensky
- “The imaginary is what tends to become real.” ― André Breton
- “Fashion is a language that creates itself in clothes to interpret reality.” ― Karl Lagerfeld
50 reality quotes
- “There are going to be times when you learn more about the world you’re entering and feel defeated when you see the gap between the ideal and the reality… But that’s something we’ll all face. The people that face those obstacles and overcome them are people whose dreams come true.” ― Tsugumi Ohba,
- “The depravity of man is at once the most empirically verifiable reality but at the same time the most intellectually resisted fact.” ― Malcolm Muggeridge
- “Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.” ― Jane Wagner
- “But, said Alice, if the world has absolutely no sense, who’s stopping us from inventing one?” ― Lewis Caroll
- “Because an illusion is an illusion. Reality always exists despite the facade.” ― Kasie West
- “Quiet people always know more than they seem. Although very normal, their inner world is by default fronted mysterious and therefore assumed weird. Never underestimate the social awareness and sense of reality in a quiet person; they are some of the most observant, absorbent persons of all.” ― Criss Jami
- “Your opinion is not my reality.” ― Steve Maraboli
- “Strange how paranoia can link up with reality now and then.” ― Philip K.
- “I felt a tremendous distance between myself and everything real.” ― Hunter S. Thompson
- “I like living in my head because there, everyone is kind and innocent. Once you start integrating yourself into the world, you realize that people are nasty, mean creatures. They’re worse than zombies. People try to crush your soul and destroy your happiness, but zombies just want to have a little nibble of your brain.” ― J. Cornell Michel
- “With everything so perfect, reality seemed somehow fragile, as if the slightest interruption could imperil her pretty future… all of it felt as tenuous as a soap bubble, shivering and empty.” ― Scott Westerfeld
- “Compared to bipolar’s magic, reality seems a raw deal. It’s not just the boredom that makes recovery so difficult, it’s the slow dawning pain that comes with sanity – the realization of illness, the humiliating scenes, the blown money and friendships and confidence. Depression seems almost inevitable. The pendulum swings back from transcendence in shards, a bloody, dangerous mess. Crazy high is better than crazy low. So we gamble, dump the pills, and stick it to the control freaks and doctors. They don’t understand, we say. They just don’t get it. They’ll never be artists.” ― David Lovelace
- “We used to do coke, till “Just Say No” put the stuff out of reach. Now it’s cranked. Meth. ” ― Ellen Hopkins
- “To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again: and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself — that was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word ‘doublethink’ involved the use of doublethink.” ― George Orwell
- “Because it begins to seem to me at such times that I am incapable of beginning a life in real life, because it has seemed to me that I have lost all touch, all instinct for the actual, the real; because at last I have cursed myself; because after my fantastic nights I have moments of returning sobriety, which are awful! Meanwhile, you hear the whirl and roar of the crowd in the vortex of life around you; you hear, you see, men living in reality; you see that life for them is not forbidden, that their life does not float away like a dream, like a vision; that their life is being eternally renewed, eternally youthful, and not one hour of it is the same as another; while fancy is so spiritless, monotonous to vulgarity and easily scared, the slave of shadows, of the idea, the slave of the first cloud that shrouds the sun… One feels that this inexhaustible fancy is weary at last and worn out with continual exercise, because one is growing into manhood, outgrowing one’s old ideals: they are being shattered into fragments, into dust; if there is no other life one must build one up from the fragments. And meanwhile the soul longs and craves for something else! And in vain the dreamer takes over his old dreams, as though seeking a spark among the embers, to fan them into flame, to warm his chilled heart by the rekindled fire, and to rouse up in it again all that was so sweet, that touched his heart, that set his blood boiling, drew tears from his eyes, and so luxuriously deceived him!” ― Fyodor Dostoevsky
- “How was I supposed to know what’s real and what’s not? It feels like I’m the only one who doesn’t know the difference.” ― Jenny Han
- “As for fairy tales, he understood that they were reflections of the people who had spun them, and were flecked with little truths – intrusions of reality into fantasy, like toast crumbs on a wizard’s beard.” ― Laini Taylor
- “Listen closely… the eternal hush of silence goes on and on throughout all this, and has been going on, and will go on and on. This is because the world is nothing but a dream and is just thought of and the everlasting eternity pays no attention to it.” ― Jack Kerouac
- “Confidence is knowing who you are and not changing it a bit because of someone’s version of reality is not your reality.” ― Shannon L. Alder
- “Anything was better than nothing. Half-full was better than empty. Ignorance was the lowest form of humiliation and suffering.” ― Becca Fitzpatrick
- “All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference between those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.” ― HP Lovecraft
- “Those who are not shocked when they first come across quantum theory cannot possibly have understood it.” ― Niels Bohr
- “Real dishes break. That’s how you know they’re real.” ― Marty Rubin
- “Sometimes fiction is more easily understood than true events. Reality is often pathetic.” ― Young-ha Kim
- “A lover finds his mistress asleep on a mossy bank; he wishes to catch a glimpse of her fair face without waking her. He steals softly over the grass, careful to make no sound; he pauses — fancying she has stirred: he withdraws: not for worlds would he be seen. All is still: he again advances: he bends above her; a light veil rests on her features: he lifts it, bends lower; now his eyes anticipate the vision of beauty — warm, and blooming, and lovely, in rest. How hurried was their first glance! But how do they fix it? How he starts! How he suddenly and vehemently clasps in both arms the form he dared not, a moment since, touch with his finger! How he calls aloud a name, and drops his burden, and gazes on it wildly! He thus grasps and cries, and gazes, because he no longer fears to waken by any sound he can utter — by any movement he can make. He thought his love slept sweetly: he finds she is stone dead.
I looked with timorous joy towards a stately house: I saw a blackened ruin.” ― Charlotte Brontë
- “We are all wired into a survival trip now. No more of the speed that fueled that 60’s. That was the fatal flaw in Tim Leary’s trip. He crashed around America selling “consciousness expansion” without ever giving a thought to the grim meat-hook realities that were lying in wait for all the people who took him seriously… All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped create… a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody… or at least some force – is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.” ― Hunter S. Thompson
- “Fantasy was always only a reality waiting to be switched on.” ― Joe Hill
- “The trouble with fiction,” said John Rivers, “is that it makes too much sense. Reality never makes sense.” ― Aldous Huxley
- “Real things in the darkness seem no realer than dreams.” ― Murasaki Shikibu
- “Look at him now, poor fellow. That’s what a dose of reality does for you…Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations.”― Alan Moore
- “Your expectation of something unique and dramatic, of some wonderful detonation, is merely hindering and delaying your Self Realization. You are not to expect an detonation, for the detonation has already happened – at the moment when you were born, when you realized yourself as Being-Knowing-Feeling. There is only one mistake you are making: you take the inner for the outer and the outer for the inner. What is in you, you take to be outside you and what is outside, you take to be in you. The mind and feelings are external, but you take them to be intimate. You believe the world to be objective, while it is entirely a projection of your psyche. That is the basic confusion and no new detonation will set it right! You have to think yourself out of it. There is no other way.” ― Nisargadatta Maharaj
- “Reality is a question of perspective; the further you get from the past, the more concrete and plausible it seems – but as you approach the present, it inevitably seems more and more incredible.” ― Salman Rushdie
- “The world outside had its own rules, and those rules were not human.” ― Michel Houellebecq
- “Normal is an ideal. But it’s not reality. Reality is brutal, it’s beautiful, it’s every shade between black and white, and it’s magical. Yes, magical. Because every now and then, it turns nothing into something.” ― Tara Kelly
- “You couldn’t hide from bad things and pretend they didn’t exist–that left you with a dream world, and dream worlds eventually crumbled. You had to face the truth. And then decide what you wanted.” ― Sarah Cross
- “Sometimes my fancy gets too floating inside me, threatening to carry me away like a leaf on a wind. Better to be a stone.” ― Shannon Hale
- “Unlike other forms of psychological disorders, the core issue in trauma is reality.” ― Bessel A. van der Kolk
- “…What happens is of little significance compared with the stories we tell ourselves about what happens. Events matter little, only stories of events affect us.” ― Rabih Alameddine
- “Regain your senses, call yourself back, and once again wake up. Now that you realize that only dreams were troubling you, view this ‘reality’ as you view your dreams.” ― Marcus Aurelius
- “We become slaves the moment we hand the keys to the definition of reality entirely over to someone else, whether it is a business, an economic theory, a political party, the White House, Newsworld or CNN.” ― B. W. Powe
- “Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else. Not in the individual mind, which can make mistakes, and in any case soon perishes: only in the mind of the Party, which is collective and immortal.” ― George Orwell
- “Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.” ― Alan Moore
- “The realities of life do not allow themselves to be forgotten.” ― Victor Hugo
- “An open Facebook page is simply a psychiatric dry erase board that screams, “Look at me. I am insecure. I need your reaction to what I am doing, but you’re not cool enough to be my friend. Therefore, I will just pray you see this because the approval of God is not all I need.” ― Shannon L. Alder
- “We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine.” ― H.L. Mencken
- “The fog was where I wanted to be. Halfway down the path you can’t see this house. You’d never know it was here. Or any of the other places down the avenue. I couldn’t see but a few feet ahead. I didn’t meet a soul. Everything looked and sounded unreal. Nothing was what it was. That’s what I wanted—to be alone with myself in another world where truth is untrue and life can hide from itself. Out beyond the harbor, where the road runs along the beach, I even lost the feeling of being on land. The fog and the sea seemed part of each other. It was like walking on the bottom of the sea. As if I had drowned long ago. As if I was the ghost belonging to the fog, and the fog was the ghost of the sea. It felt damned peaceful to be nothing more than a ghost within a ghost.” ― Eugene O’Neill
- “He thought each memory recalled must do some violence to its origins. As in a party game. Say the words and pass it on. So be sparing. What you alter in the remembering has yet a reality, known or not.” ― Cormac McCarthy
- “Reality is a cliché from which we escape by metaphor.” ― Wallace Stevens
- “Look at the rain long enough, with no thoughts in your head, and you gradually feel your body falling loose, shaking free of the world of reality. Rain has the power to hypnotize.” ― Haruki Murakami
- “Are we all living like this? Two lives, the ideal outer life and the inner imaginative life where we keep our secrets?” ― Jeanette Winterson
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
Other Mental health quotes which you may like
Below are other mental health quotes which may be of interest to you:
|Charles Bukowski Quotes|
|Clint Eastwood Quotes|
|College quotes to motivate you|
|Consistency Quotes to Help You Reach Your Goals|
|December Quotes and Poems|
What does reality mean to you? Is it the presence of other people and entities, or is it something untouchable?
Let us know what your version of reality looks like, along with your favorite reality quote.