Pristiq and Vyvanse (uses and effects)
In this article, the topic, “ Pristiq and Vyvanse” will be addressed, a piece of short information about Pristiq including the uses and effect, dosage and precautions to be taken before medication, Vyvanese’s uses and effect, dosage and precaution before taking Vyvanse and the side effect of combining of Pristiq and Vyvanse and some of the frequently asked question.
Combining Pristiq and Vyvanse results in some of the following effects:
- Serotonin Syndrome
- Elevated Blood Pressure
- Increases and worsen the side effect of Pristiq
- Anxiety Symptoms
- Coma and Seizure
- Neuroleptic Malingering Stagnation like syndrome
The generic name of Pristiq is Desvenlafaxine which is an antidepressant, used to treat depression. It is also known as Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor. The working of Pristiq was known after establishing an 8-week placebo-controlled study with adults diagnosed with Major Depression. It works by balancing the concentration of certain chemicals in the brain that were affected by depression.
Using of Pristiq and precautions
There are some precautions and caveats to be noted and taken care of before taking Pristiq. Some of them are:
- One shouldn’t take it within a week or two weeks after taking MAO Inhibitor.
- There are associated suicidal thoughts and ideation after taking the medication, one should also take care of it.
- The medication can only be taken with the advice of a doctor and their consultation.
- The individual with Venlafaxine allergy shouldn’t take it.
- Some medicines that can react and interest with Pristiq results in Serotonin Syndrome
- Doctors should know about the underlying medical condition if the person has any such heart diseases, depression, seizure, lung and respiratory problem, Parkinson diseases etc.
- One should report if they are pregnant or planning for it soon and late pregnancy.
- A breastfeeding mother shouldn’t take it.
- The use of medication for individuals younger than the age of 18 years is not approved yet.
Dosage of Pristiq and how should one take it
Pristiq is an extended table with a range of doses, starting from 25mg to 100mg tablets. Dosage recommended for each patient depends on certain factors like working of liver, kidney etc.
The recommended dose for most of the patient is 50g daily which can be taken with or without food. 50mg is both a therapeutic dose and a starting dose for most of the patients too.
Pristiq tablets ideally should be taken at the same time every day and should be swallowed with fluid rather than chewing it.
When an individual is in the recovery phase or remission of the symptoms, 25mg per day is used in the intention of reduction of doze when nearing discontinuing the medication.
Uses and side effects of Pristiq
Some of the uses of Pristiq for which it is widely used are:
- Improve one’s mood
- Induces and increases the feeling of well being
- Increase energy level of the person
- Restore certain chemicals in the brain that are imbalanced
- Prevents from depression relapse
The side effects of Pristiq that requires immediate help and treatment from medical professionals are:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Allergic Reaction
- Serotonin syndrome, a clinical condition of excessive serotonin in the body resulting in dizziness, tremors, flushing, sweating and racing heartbeat
- High blood pressure
- Prone to excessive bleeding
- Closed-angle glaucoma
- Low sodium concentration or level in blood especially in adult
Vyvanse is a medication belonging to the generic name of Lisdexamfetamine dimesylate (amphetamine). It can be habit-forming if not taken care of the dosage intake. The medication is also used as a stimulant where it is used to restore the balance of certain chemicals in the brain.
Using of Vyvanse and Precautions
Vyvanse is primarily used for the treatment of people with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and also for those with Binge Eating Disorder.
Some of the precautions that can need to take before taking the medicine are:
- One should report if they are allergic to any drug such as amphetamine etc.
- In case of any medical history of blood circulation problems, mood conditions, personal as well as a family history of mental and mood disorders, one should report to the health professionals.
- Any previous episodes of heart attack and coronary heart diseases
- Eye problem and the problem with heart structure
- Alcohol and Marijuana use currently or in the past
- Children should be taken care of since the symptoms are more sensitive to them.
- Pregnant women and mothers who are planning to give birth soon shouldn’t take this medicine
- No breastfeeding mother should be prescribed this medicine.
- Any previous history of muscle uncontrollable movement in self as well as in any of family members.
- Have taken MAOI within the last two weeks
- Have overactive thyroid
- Is in an agitated state of mind.
- It should not be used to weight loss and people who are obese
These are some of the precautions and warnings to be taken care of before starting the medicine.
Dosage of Vyvanse
Vyvanse can be taken orally in the morning irrespective of an empty stomach or full. However, it is ideal not to take in the afternoon since it results in insomnia in the individual.
- It shouldn’t be chewed rather swallow the pill wholly
- Chewable Vyvanese tablet should be chewed thoroughly
The dose of Vyvanse starts from 10mg to 70mg while the chewable tablet of Vyvanse dose range from 10mg to 60mg.
The ideal dose for the treatment of ADHD starts from 30mg daily once in the morning for the patient above the age of 6 however, the dose can also increase weekly with the interval of 10 to 20mg with the maximum ceiling of 70 mg per day.
For the treatment of Binge Eating Disorder, the ideal starting dose is from 30mg per day of 20mg interval weekly to achieve the target dose of 50-70g per day. The maximum dose is only 70mg per day.
In case of a missed dose, one should never double dose to compensate.
Uses and side effect of Vyvanse
Some of the uses of Vyvanse are the following:
- Increase the attention span of an individual
- Allow the person to stay focused and concentrated
- Stop fidgeting
- Treatment of Binge Eating Disorder
- Restore the imbalance of certain neurotransmitter and chemical in the brain
- Treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Some of the side effects associated with the use of Vyvanse are:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain and loss of appetite
- Trouble sleeping and sweating
- Elevates the blood pressure
- Blurred Vision
- Mood Swing
- Shortness of breath and fainting
- Weakness of one side of body
- Trouble sleeping
- Serious allergic reaction
- Anxiety and increased sweating
- Behavioural change
- Sign of liver problem
- Raynaud’s Phenomenon
- Liver problem
- New tics and blurred vision
These are the major side effects associated with the medication, while some of those require immediate medical help and treatment, many do fade away within a span of time.
Interaction of Pristiq and Vyvanse
The interaction or combination of Pristiq and Vyvanse results in a serious medical effect and in case of that, one should seek immediate help from medical professionals.
Taking Pristiq increases or worsen the effect of Vyvanse leading to side effects such as
- Racing thoughts.
Serotonin Syndrome is the most serious effect of combining the drugs, Pristiq and Vyvanse. It is a dangerous and serious medical condition caused by high concentration and buildup of serotonin in our body.
Some of the symptoms of Serotonin Syndromes are:
- Fast and racing heartbeat
- Sweating and flushing
- Muscle tremor and twitching
- Hallucination mostly visual and auditory
- Changes in blood pressure level
- Body Incoordination
- Blurred vision
- Stomach Cramp
- Coma and in severe cases, it results in death.
These are some of the severe side effects of Serotonin Syndrome.
Another substantial side effect of interacting Pristiq and Vyvanse is a considerable increase in the blood pressure level.
The combination of both the drugs at times results in Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome like reactions such as confusion, fever, rigid muscles, altered mental status and increased respiration.
In some severe cases of interaction between Pristiq and Vyvanse, it leads to coma and death.
FAQs: Pristiq and Vyvanse
What drugs should not be taken with Vyvanse?
One shouldn’t take certain medication and drugs with Vyvanse such as Marijuana, Amphetamine and other medicine because it increases the risk of blood pressure, heart rate, nervousness, the problem with sleep, heartache and palpitation.
What should you not take with Pristiq?
Some drugs like naproxen and ibuprofen shouldn’t be taken together with this drug since it will result in excessive bleeding and bruises. Along with that, it also results in other serious medical effects needing immediate treatment and professional help.
Can Vyvanse cause serotonin syndrome?
Vyvanse solely will not result in serotonin syndrome, however, if it is taken along with other serotonergic drugs, due to the excess serotonin, it results in an increased risk of serotonin syndrome.
What are the most common side effects of Pristiq?
Some of the common side effects associated with Pristiq are constipation, drowsiness, dizziness, decreased appetite, blurred vision, vomiting, income and etc.
What is the strongest ADHD medication?
Athanasia XR is believed to be the strongest ADHD medicine since it contains Methylphenidate which is used for the treatment of ADHD for a long time.
Does pristiq make you happy?
Yes, 50mg of Pristiq is enough and sufficient to treat depression. Pristiq improves mood as well as results in a good appetite, good and undisturbed sleep and consistently better mood.
How good is Pristiq for anxiety?
Pristiq helps in fighting against the symptom of anxiety. It is norepinephrine which is connected and associated with fight or flight response. It helps in reducing the symptoms of anxiety as well as reaching equilibrium of the neurotransmitter associated with anxiety.
In this article, the topic, “ Pristiq and Vyvanse” was addressed, a piece of short information about Pristiq including the uses and effect, dosage and precautions to be taken before medication, Vyvanese’s uses and effect, dosage and precaution before taking Vyvanse and the side effect of combining of Pristiq and Vyvanse and some of the frequently asked questions.
For more information, visit the following links:
drugs.com. (2020). Pristiq. Drugs.com. https://www.drugs.com/pristiq.html
Entringer, S. (2019). Vyvanse. Drugs.com. https://www.drugs.com/vyvanse.html
Marshall, H. (2019). Pristiq (desvenlafaxine). medicalnewstoday. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326615#_noHeaderPrefixedContent