What is the power of silence after a breakup? (+7 Benefits of Silence)
This article will be discussing what the power of silence is after a breakup and its immense benefits for you. We will also be giving you some useful tips to implement the power of silence after a breakup.
What is the Power of Silence after a breakup?
The power of silence after a breakup is a theory that the more you stay silent and ignore your ex after a breakup, the stronger it makes you as a person. It also gives you the upper hand since they are going to miss you and think about you even more.
According to this theory, once you have broken up with your ex, you will need to stay completely silent and cut off complete contact. Even if you might be tempted to get in touch with them to at least see if they are well, you need to control yourself and stay off radar.
Benefits of silence after a breakup
Practicing complete silence after a breakup can bring a number of benefits and advantages to you, especially if you have had a very passionate relationship and are finding it very difficult to move on. Some of the best benefits of silence after a breakup have been discussed as follows.
It gives you more opportunity for introspection
The most important advantage that silence can bring you is that you have the time and opportunity for introspection. Self-awareness is important for not only self-growth but is an essential skill everyone and anyone should develop.
It gives you more understanding of your relationship
Another great advantage of being silent after your breakup is that it actually gives you time to logically go through the events of your relationship. The more we idealize and romanticize our previous relationships, the more we find it hard to move on.
In this time, you can weigh the pros and cons of your relationship from a rational point of view. Think of your relationship as a business deal and think of how much you have invested into it and how much profit or benefits you gained from it.
You will be then able to take all the positives of the relationship with you, while letting go of the negatives or the burdens in an easier manner. Therefore, practice being silent more so that you can understand your relationship, the good and the bad.
It allows you to heal
In practicing silence after your breakup, you will also be able to heal. Relationships often leave their imprints on people, both good and bad ones. When we practice silence after a breakup, we have more opportunities to heal from our emotional traumas and go back to being ourselves.
It makes your ex curious about you
Another superb advantage of being silent after your breakup is that it makes your ex very curious about you. When you ignore your ex and cut off all contact with them, it leaves them wondering about your whereabouts and your activities.
It can even bring them back
Ignoring your ex after breaking up with them can also bring a good chance of bringing them back. This is mainly since your ex truly starts missing your presence and talking to you on a regular basis.
Also, since they become increasingly curious about your whereabouts during the no-contact period, it stokes their feelings for you making them even more attracted to and fascinated by you than ever before.
It gives you your identity back
Relationships are often the main culprit of someone’s identity getting diluted. When we spend too much time in a passionate relationship with someone, we often feel that we are no longer our true selves but a sullied version.
However, we can easily regain our true identity by simply practicing silence after a breakup. When we do so, we will be able to do things that are passionate to us and also embrace our true personalities without any judgment from anyone else.
It gives you back the reins of your life
Another great thing about practicing silence after a breakup is that you get more control of your life. You don’t have to dance to someone else’s music anymore and can do whatever you want and whatever makes you happy, even if it is something that your ex frowned upon.
Tips to implement the Power of Silence
If you want to really make your silence powerful after your breakup, but are finding it difficult to do so, you can practice the following tips. These tips are not only proven to help you stay silent, but also help you make the best use out of your silence.
- Go cold-turkey: The best way to implement the power of silence is to do it now, as soon as possible. It may be tempting to wait a bit to cut off contact, but the more you wait the more hurt you are going to be.
- Block your ex on all social media: Another important tip is to simply block your ex on various social media platforms. Even if you are just following them, you may see a notification or an update about them which can make you feel worse.
- Delete their contact details: Not just on social media, but you can even go ahead and delete their contact details from your phone. Even storing their details to use in times of an emergency can lead to a backsliding from your no-contact time.
- Start journaling: When you are practicing silence after your breakup, it is important for you to take control of your life and also heal from traumas. A great way to do this is to simply start writing down your thoughts and feelings in a journal every day.
In doing so, you will become more aware of your internal thought processes. You will also be able to bring more control to your thoughts through the process of journaling. It does not have to be pages and pages long, you can be as brief or detailed as you wish to be.
- Stop asking after them: Another mistake that people often do after a breakup has occurred is to ask after them through their mutual friends. If you have such a habit, you might want to put it off. Don’t feel guilty about doing this since this is essential to the healing.
- Go to therapy: You can also go to therapy if you want to make the best use of your silent period. Therapy is only for those who are dealing with diagnosed mental illnesses, but even for those who are going through major transitions, such as healing after a breakup.
In therapy, you will be learning how to effectively heal so that you get permanent growth from your experience. Your therapist can also help you understand the deeper truth as to why you behave a certain way when you get in to a romantic relationship.
Another great thing about therapy is that you can learn great cognitive strategies to change your mental thought processes. You will also be learning more about your unique identity which can greatly increase your self-esteem and boost your self-confidence.
This article has discussed what the power of silence is after a breakup and its immense benefits for you. We have also given you some useful tips to implement the power of silence after a breakup.
If you like this article, please post your comments and questions in the space below.