In this brief blog, we will be talking about PIP assessment questions on mental health, what the PIP assessment is for, the procedure of the PIP assessment, and more information about PIP assessment questions on mental health.
What is the PIP assessment with questions on mental health?
The PIP medical assessment with questions on mental health is an assessment that evaluates your capability of doing daily activities depending on your physical or mental condition.
This kind of assessment will result in you winning or not getting the benefits that you might be entitled to if you have been proven to be incapable due to your mental health condition.
Most people have to take the PIP medical assessment with questions on mental health to get this benefit program.
This kind of assessment is done by Atos or Capita based on your location in the country.
Atos and Capita are obligated to administer PIP medical assessments with questions on mental health to people who are applying for this benefit program.
You can also bring someone with you in the course of your assessment.
This companion can be someone who can assist and care for you such as your friend or family member.
You can learn more about these PIP medical assessments with questions on mental health by buying this book on this website.
Appointment letter for PIP assessment with questions on mental health
When you have fulfilled your PIP form and sent it to DWP, this kind of department will be sending you an appointment letter.
This will indicate when your appointment will be for PIP assessment with questions on mental health.
This appointment letter will be given by Atos & Capita.
This will also indicate the assessment centre that you will be assigned to take your PIP assessment with questions on mental health.
The appointment set for you is usually in a span of 7 days away.
You can read further in this article on what you need to expect from the PIP assessment with questions on mental health.
What you need to do if you can’t attend your PIP assessment with questions on mental health?
If you can’t attend your appointment date for PIP assessment with questions on mental health, you can send a letter to the private assessment provider to change the date.
If you have a disabling condition that makes you housebound, you can also request for a home assessment.
You need to tell the private assessment provider why you can’t attend your appointment in an assessment centre.
You may be required to send medical proof of why you need to take the PIP assessment with questions on mental health in your home.
You can learn more about having an assessment at home by buying this book on this website.
How to ask for an adjustment on your appointment for PIP assessment with questions on mental health?
You can ask for an adjustment of your appointment date for your PIP assessment with questions on mental health by calling your assessment provider using the contact number in the appointment letter.
If you adjusted the date by your own without letting the assessment provider know, this is considered as discrimination and you should call your local Citizens advice for help with this kind of situation.
How to know if you are eligible for PIP assessment with questions on mental health?
You can be eligible for the PIP benefits if you are aged 16 and your State Pension age.
You can search for your State Pension age on the GOV.UK website.
You must also have the following requirements:
- find it difficult to do regular tasks or get around because of a physical or mental illness which you can make a claim whether you get help or support from another person or not
- have found these things challenging for 3 months and expect it to remain for another 9 months
- typically be living in England, Scotland or Wales when you register
- have lived and stayed in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 years, unless you’re a refugee or an immediate family member of a refugee
There are exceptions to the eligibility rules when you have a terminal sickness or have been serving the armed forces.
- If you’re already receiving DLA and the DWP asks you to claim PIP there are separate rules.
- If you have a terminal illness the rules about how long you’ve found things difficult and been living in England, Wales or Scotland for 2 years isn’t practised.
- If you’re in the armed forces or a close family member of someone who is, the rules on living and registering in England, Wales or Scotland isn’t practised.
You can deal with someone you dearly loved who has a terminal illness by buying this book on this website.
Your sickness, disability or mental health concern
The PIP assessment with questions on mental health is not based on the mental health concern you are facing.
This assessment is also not depending on your medical treatments.
The PIP assessment questions on mental health will be asking about the degree of assistance you need in daily activities.
If you are considered to not have much disability in certain activities, you should try some of the following activities:
- organizing and cooking food
- eating and drinking
- controlling your treatments
- washing and bathing
- controlling toilet needs or incontinence
- dressing and undressing
- talking with other people
- reading and comprehending written information
- mingling with others
- choosing decisions about money
- organizing a journey or following a route
- moving around
The assistance you will get can be a person or a pet or you might be accompanied by a driver to your car or the service might change your home to make you accommodate easily in your condition.
What to expect at a PIP assessment with questions on mental health?
The PIP assessment with questions on mental health is a great opportunity for you to talk about how your mental health condition affects you.
The health professionals will be reviewing your PIP form once you reach the assessment centre.
As mentioned before, the PIP assessment with questions on mental health will be focusing on how your mental health condition may be impacting your life.
This is why you should say directly to the health professional what you constantly feel about your condition.
You are going to go through some activities in the PIP assessment with questions on mental health and these kinds of activities last for 60 minutes:
- Discussion or interview and questions: The Health Professional will ask you questions about how your mental health concern impacts your daily life.
- Physical and psychological or mental examination: If obligated, and with your consent, these health professionals will administer a short physical and mental function examination.
- Report: Once your PIP assessment with questions on mental health has finished, these health professionals will make a report discussing which PIP descriptors apply to you and elaborate on their reasoning.
You can learn more about what goes on in a psychological examination by buying this book on this website.
Discussion or interview and questions
In this aspect of the PIP assessment with questions on mental health, the health professional will be asking you questions on how you are feeling with your condition.
You can state your needs here with regards to your debilitating condition.
The health professional has already read your PIP form with the supporting evidence that you have to provide about your medical condition.
The health professional will use this time to listen to you about some aspects of your condition when you are engaging in daily activities in life.
This is why you should always renew your PIP form to make sure that it corresponds well to how you are coping with your mental health condition.
Sample assessment question on mental health
- What the going out question really means in the test
This question in the PIP assessment with questions one mental health means that you find it hard to do the following:
- structure and follow a path to a location you know and it doesn’t concern much on how you get there
- structure and follow a bus or train path to a place you don’t know
- Deal with places that you don’t recognize
- if necessary, leave the house due to stress or anxiety
This question shows that the DWP is interested in knowing about how you deal with the long and short journeys that you will be going to buy some groceries or other necessities.
This question does not signify your ability to walk.
This PIP assessment question on mental health is important for people who may be suspected to have hearing complications, learning complications, autism, stress, anxiety, or other mental health concerns.
You can learn more about autism in affected people by buying this book here.
- Question 13a
Here is a sample PIP question on mental health: Do you need help from another person to plan a route to somewhere you know well?
Or do you need another person, guide dog or specialist aid to help you get there?
You need to relate your answer to how it speaks to your concern.
You can also answer yes if you meet one of the following conditions:
- you need help and assistance but don’t receive it
- your stress, anxiety or other mental health concern make it hard for you to go out
you find it hard to deal with huge crowds or loud noises
- you find it difficult to deal with sudden changes to travel, for instance, roadworks or diversions
- you only try travelling during quiet periods of the day, for instance, when the shops aren’t busy or there’s less traffic on the road
- Question 13b
Here is another sample PIP assessment question on mental health: Do you need help from another person, guide dog or specialist aid to get to a location that is unfamiliar to you?
You should check for yes if you have one of the following conditions:
- you need help and assistance but don’t receive it
- someone assists or encourages you to go out
- someone accompanies you outside
- your mental health concern makes using a bus or train challenging
- you can’t structure a path to an unfamiliar location yourself
- you find it hard to deal with sudden changes to a trip, for instance, bus diversions, train cancellations
- Question 13c
This is another sample PIP assessment question on mental health: Are you unable to go out because of severe anxiety or distress?
You don’t become too concerned about the word severe since anxiety and distress can appear different in severe expressions in affected people.
Physical and psychological or mental examination
The physical examination will make you engage in physical movements to show if you are capable of moving some limbs.
The psychological examination will be asking your thoughts and feelings about your present concern.
You are found capable if you did the following movements and other activities:
- Safely: Can you do the activity without risking danger to yourself or someone else?
- Well enough: For instance, you may be able to prepare and cook a meal, but you will not be able to eat it if it is deemed undercooked.
- More than once: Can you repeat the activity as many times as you are required to?
- In a reasonable and attainable time: Does it take you a lot more amount of time to do the activity than it would take most people?
PIP medical assessment personal report
The health professional will place their observations in your form and then place some reviews about your results in your examinations.
The professional will then send it to DWP to check if you are eligible for the benefits.
What occurs after your PIP assessment with questions on mental health?
After your PIP assessment with questions on mental health, the DWP will assess the following information with the supporting evidence if you are eligible:
- Fulfilled PIP form
- Joint and further evidence
- Individual medical assessment report
The DWP will give you a letter if you have claimed your PIP or not according to your PIP assessment report.
In this brief blog, we have talked about PIP assessment questions on mental health, what the PIP assessment is for, the procedure of the PIP assessment, and more information about PIP assessment questions on mental health.
If you have any questions about PIP assessment questions on mental health, please let us know and the team will gladly answer your questions.
FAQs: pip assessment questions on mental health
What illness qualifies for PIP?
The illness that qualifies for PIP is the illness that is considered to be a long-term condition and this kind of condition should need regular support for needs and some may be limited in mobility.
You will also be qualified with this kind of benefit when you are aged 16 and over.
What happens when PIP award ends?
When your PIP award ends, you will need to revalidate you eligibility if your long-term condition is getting better or worse.
If your overall health is getting better, your award will be minimized or stopped. If your long-term condition is getting worse, you will need more of this award.
How many points is PIP for mental health?
The points in PIP for mental health is 8 and 11 points to make you eligible and qualified for this kind of benefit program.
You are awarded points for each activity, based on your ability and how much help and assistance you need to do it.
The points you score for each kind of activity in a section are added together to reach an overall score.
What are PIP assessors looking for?
PIP assessors are looking for disability assessors that are licensed and trained for the assessment of disabilities either for physical disability or mental disability.
These kinds of professionals ensure that those requiring help and assistance from the Government are able to get it and play a key role in the health system.
What mental health conditions qualify for disability in the UK?
The mental health conditions that qualify for disability in the UK are depressive disorders, dementia, chronic anxiety such as anxiety disorders, and bipolar disorder.
These kinds of psychological disorders are referred to as such since they can make a person impaired and dysfunctional in his or her important areas in life.
Citizens advice. Check if you’re eligible for PIP.
Citizens advice. Preparing for your PIP assessment.
Citizens advice. Q13: going out.
Mental Health & Money Advice. What is the PIP medical assessment?.