Negative personality traits list (signs & behaviors)
In this brief guide, we will be discussing the topic: negative personality traits list. We will initially start with a discussion about personality traits and character and then move to the types of negative personality traits that exist. Further, questions related to traits and personality.
Negative personality traits list
Here is a comprehensive list of negative personality traits and how they exert bad influence in your life:
Negative personality traits refer to those traits that are harmful, undesirable, unhealthy, and leads to the damage of self-esteem and the humane traits of an individual. People who possess negative personality traits are highly manipulative and controlling. They never seem to notice the good things that come their way and do not let people around them live their life as well.
Some of the signs of a person with negative personality traits are as given below:
- They are self-centered and dismissive of the needs of other people. They tend to overlook the emotions of other people and solely care about their opinions and wants. They fail to understand perspectives that are different from theirs and do not consider what another person has to offer, in any situation
- They hate being wrong and do not admit their mistakes. They have a constant need to be the center of attention and cannot tolerate someone else pointing out their wrong deeds or words. This applies to their close circle of people as well.
- They indulge in telling lies just to get their way out of something or to put someone else in trouble. They also lie to prove their point right and do not value the importance of honesty and integrity in their life.
- They do not possess the ability to appreciate and compliment other people. This often happens because they are envious of the success of other people and do not enjoy the limelight being taken away from them. They want to be given prominence over anyone or anything else and do not wish for the welfare and happiness of others around them.
- Toxic people are those who keep account of every trivial thing that happened in their life and cannot easily forgive other people for their mistakes or wrongdoings. They tend to hurt the feelings of others or embarrass them to make them feel shameful and guilty for their actions. They find joy in bringing down others and seeing their misery.
- They avoid offering help to other people in needy situations and do not share their resources at any cost. They mostly like to keep things to themselves and do not take help from others as well. They like to be the “know-it-all” in their surroundings and want to be made felt needed and important.
- They behave differently to different people, depending upon their background and value to them. They fail to sincerely love and care for other people, because of their inability to think beyond themselves and their needs.
The character of an individual is inclusive of those traits that are expressed only in specific and uncommon circumstances. Some of the character traits include honesty, virtue, and kindness. The character of an individual takes longer to evolve. However, when compared to personality, the character of a person can undergo faster changes.
This is because the character of a person is shaped by their beliefs and values and with a sufficient amount of motivation and effort one can change one’s perspectives and beliefs, thus bringing about a change in the character. This shift in character is especially important to adapt to changing environments and times.
When an individual sense changes happening in their environment, their beliefs and viewpoints tend to get shaped and accommodated according to the changing environment. This is irrespective of the inherent preferences of the individual. This quality of malleability of character is of utmost importance for survival in the world.
Personality traits are reflective of the characteristic pattern of thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that are observable in an individual. Personality traits are generally consistent and stable. The personality trait set of one individual differs from others in terms of persistence and the type of trait possessed. For instance, someone who is highly sociable and outgoing will be having the trait of extraversion whereas, someone who keeps to themselves and does not take part in social events will be having the trait of introversion.
The most popular and widely used system of traits is called the five-factor model. This system includes five types of traits that are marked by the acronym OCEAN. They stand for openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism. The scores on the five-factor model, for each individual, are independent of one another.
Negative trait behaviors
People who possess negative traits are often termed as judgemental, neurotic, and their behaviors are ruled by an external locus of control. Certain behaviors that fall into his category are as follows:
- Persistent inability to endure setbacks
- An immense lack of clarity and an inability to make decisions for oneself.
- Low capacity and flair for critical thinking
- Inability to form secure, stable, and strong interpersonal relationships.
- Fear and lack of motivation to get out of one’s comfort zone.
- A constant feeling of helplessness and a stark absence of persistence in achieving one’s goals and aspirations
- A high tendency to have pessimistic thoughts and to express negative opinions about most of the things that influence their life as well as of others.
- Weak imagination skills and inability to define and visualize their desired outcomes and end goals.
Those individuals who display the above-given behaviors are often neurotic and possess an inflated ego. They express narcissism, anger, hostility, and inflexibility in most situations.
In this brief guide, we discussed the topic: negative personality traits list. We examined the signs of a negative person, discussed the meaning and nature of character and personality traits, and looked at some of the behaviors of people with negative traits.
FAQs: negative personality traits list
What are some good words to describe a person?
Adaptable: someone who is able to adjust and blend into any situation, circumstance, or environment.
Affectionate: someone who is highly capable of displaying genuine warmth and affection towards any group of people.
Adventurous: someone who is filled with zest and loves to undertake daring risks and explore novel experiences.
Ambitious: someone who possesses a strong desire and willpower to achieve their goals and aspirations and who does not think twice about working hard and being consistent.
Amiable: someone who is level headed, knows how to deal with difficult situations peacefully and rationally, mostly including heated arguments and disagreements.
Compassionate: someone who can convey empathy and sympathy for those suffering from any kind of trouble.
Considerate: someone who rightfully and sincerely expresses concern for the rights and emotions of other people.
Courteous: someone whose behavior is characterized by politeness and gracious manners.
Generous: someone who is willing to and possesses the quality of sharing and giving away, without qualms or being stingy.
What are the seven character traits?
Seven character traits constitute the key to success for an individual. They are as follows:
Grit: grit refers to passion and unwavering commitment to long-term goals and aspirations. It is the ability to persist and persevere in the face of obstacles, to achieve your most desired goals and dreams.
Curiosity: curiosity refers to that quality which enables a person to explore new things and understand the logical and dynamic perspectives behind everything that one comes across in daily life. A curious person is someone who always asks questions and eagerly tries to find the answers behind complex concepts and theories of life.
Self -control: self-control is that quality in a person that allows him/her to make decisions rationally, without being driven by emotional influences and hasty thinking. People who have a good sense of self-control tend to be calm, composed, level-headed, and do not easily get swayed by their emotional or psychological flaws.
Zest: zest refers to the quality possessed by people who have an ardent desire to experience life to the fullest and to live in the present moment. They are passionate about life, consistently, and find joy in every little thing life has to provide.
Social intelligence: social intelligence refers to the quality possessed by those people who have the capacity to know themselves as well as others. Social intelligence develops and flourishes through several experiences with people and achievements and failures in social settings.
Optimism: optimism can be considered more of an attitude that an individual possesses. Optimistic people tend to be persistently hopeful, confident, and excited about their future or about achieving a particular goal in their life. They are highly intrinsically motivated and do not get affected by negative comments or judgments.
Gratitude: gratitude refers to that quality that is characterized by the ability to be genuinely thankful for everything. Grateful people tend to be highly sensitive to their surroundings and people around them and appreciate every good thing that comes their way. They accept and return kindness readily.
What are the positive personality traits?
Positive personality traits are those which enhances and facilitates your growth as a person, in a desirable and fulfilling manner. For instance, being honest and taking due responsibility for your actions are truly admirable qualities. These are traits that will help you to flourish anywhere in life and to get along easily with other people. Similarly, determination and passion are two positive traits that will help you to persist even during difficult times and to face any challenges that come across in your life.
What is a cool personality?
An individual with a cool personality is often named a cool person. A cool person is someone who owns a unique set of attitudes and behaviors that sets them apart from other people and make them desirable. Cool people are generally confident, fast-minded, witty, humorous, and appear attractive to others. People easily get drawn to cool people because of their natural charm and ability to exert their good influence, through their personality.
How do you compliment?
Complementing someone is an art. It should come across as genuine, appropriate, and must be appealing to the person on the receiving end. You compliment someone to make them feel seen and appreciated. Hence, the person receiving the compliment must be able to enjoy the compliment you give them. When you compliment someone, link your compliment to your genuine feelings and observe why you are appreciating that particular quality over others, in that person.
Try to be authentic and specific while giving compliments and let them know why you chose to compliment one particular quality of theirs.
What is a toxic trait?
A toxic trait refers to those traits that have the potential to cause harm to the mental and physical well-being of others as well as oneself. A toxic person is someone who tries to hold you back, discourage you from being yourself, tarnishes your self-esteem, and make you feel hurtful. Their behaviors are always hidden behind a facade and they do not possess authenticity as a person.