This article is a detailed overview of mood disorder and discusses some pertinent aspects related to this disorder.
Also, this article reveals possible symptoms, diagnostic aspects and possible treatments that offers insight into this problem.
Since everyday life is a roller coaster of different types of emotions. On one day, you might feel yourself on the top of the world’s edge.
This is because of the high-grade promotion and the brilliant test results.
On the other hand, you might feel dump due to the relationship problem, financial crisis, or might be because you may get a flat tire during the work time.
These are the fluctuations that are incredibly normal that might come and go in the mood.
But when your mood fluctuations have a significant impact on your overall personality, education, social, and other relationships, then you are suffering from the mood disorder problem.
What is a mood disorder?
The mood disorder of an individual always depends on the emotions and the scenario or the circumstances that a person is going through.
If a person is going through any mood disorder, then it will severely harm the workplace of that person. It will also affect the outcome or the level of productivity of that individual.
The mood disorder is not always depicted or intended as a bad mood; sometimes, it also results in such a pleasant atmosphere.
The behavior of an individual or the way any specific person acts is the reflection of whatever the person is thinking or if the person is going to any mood disorder.
The mood disorder either results or ends up as a bad mood or the pleasant mood, for example, depression, anxiety, boredom is the type of bad moods but the pleasure, happiness is the expressions of good mood.
Examples of mood disorders
Some of the major examples of mood disorders are:
- Major depressive disorder and prolonged tenure of extreme sadness
- Bipolar sadness is the other name of manic depression or bipolar effect on your mood as it includes the alternating time of mania and depression
- Sessional affective disorder (SAD) is a strange mood disorder that is primarily associated with daylight. It usually attacks the people of southern latitudes and far northern that is from late fall, everyone.
- Cyclothymic disorder is an emotional disorder that is the reason for the ups and downs that have less impact as compared to the bipolar disorder.
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder is the irritability or mood changes that usually occur in the premenstrual phases of women cycle and go away as that phase move away
- Persistent depressive disorder (Dysthymia) is an extended form of chronic depression form
- Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder is a severe disorder that is mainly associated with severe chronic and persistent irritability in children that usually associated with frequent temper outbursts, and this is inconsistent with the developing child’s age.
- Depression related to medical illness is the persistent depressed mood and due to the significant loss of the pleasure in most of the activities that are directly related to the other medical conditions. Depression induced by the substance or the medication
These are the symptoms that are developed during or after the withdrawal of the exposure of the medicine.
Causes of Mood Disorders:
There are not like such kinds of objects of Mood Disorder in general, but psychologists say that there are many various reasons that cause mood disorder.
These several other causes include stress, depression, anxiety, rejection, mental health issue, the influence of someone’s behavior, failure, etc. are considered as the significant causes of Mood Disorders. Scientists also say that mood disorder is caused by the hormonal change or the imbalance of neurotransmitters.
Side Note: I grew this blog to over 500,000 monthly pageviews and it now finances our charitable missions. If you are looking to start a blog as a source of income or to help your community then view our how to start a blog guide.
Neurotransmitters are those cells that stimulate the function of someone’s acts or behaviors.
They are responsible for the transmission of cells that are related to the brain cells that can easily control one’s actions or ways of how they behave.
Treatment of mood disorder
There has been some of the medical treatment and if you don’t prefer the medical treatment then there are some of the physical treatment through which you can fix all the problems related to the mental disorder.
Moving and exercising are a great way to repair your psychological and physical health by the help of regular exercise
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and sugar
- Try the supplements of calcium
- Change your diet
- Do stress management activities
- Get better sleep
Symptoms of Mood Disorders:
There are several symptoms of a mood disorder. In the case of emotional depression, it includes:
- Unexplained crying spells and the prolonged sadness
- Disturbed sleep pattern
- A profound change in appetite
- Indifference and pessimism
- Persistent lethargy
- Loss of energy
- Feelings of guts
- Inability to concentrate
Other causes of mood disorder
A person with depression doesn’t want to eat, write, talk, or drink something in public because of a fear of being embarrassed by someone.
Normally the symptoms observed by a person are heart palpitations, dry mouth, tremors, sweating, nauseous or sick to their stomach, gastrointestinal discomfort, diarrhea, muscle tension, or trembling, a shaky voice, blushing, and even confusion. In severe cases, a person may experience a full-blown panic attack.
Just like other anxiety disorders, the disorder of mood disorder is not confirmed that what are the exact causes, but the possibilities are:
Someone in your family background had this problem; then, on a particular chance, you are at risk of having it too.
- MEDICAL ISSUES:
Overactive amygdala — the part of the brain that controls your fear response.
- TRAUMATIC EVENTS:
Or physical abuse may also be the reason.
- LIMITED SOCIAL INTERACTIONS:
The person might have a finite event in which he could have a chance of
Overview of depression
If you are suffering from the feelings of negativity and that negative feeling is affecting your whole personality, then that is the depression.
Different types of depression exist like; sleep, behavioral, cognitive, mood, weight affects, and the entire body.
In addition to this, you might be feeling a sense of loss of interest in things, mood swings, feelings of apathy, and general discontent that might be used to be pleasurable.
All these behaviors contribute to the overall sadness.
Because of the depression feelings, you might feel the sense of suicide, the issues related to sleep excessively irritated, restless, and socially isolated.
Moreover, due to the depression, it may affect the overall weight of the individuals as well when you feel overly hungry.
Overview of mania
This is the mood affect that is the cause of the mood swings and high energy. The feelings of euphoria are often present in these cases.
These sorts of feelings usually stay for almost three days or more than three days. The symptoms of classic mania are:
- Rapidly and excessive talking
- Need less sleep than the normal
- Making the careless decisions
- Poor judgment
Bipolar or manic depression is a severe mental illness that is responsible for bringing severe high and low moods and the changes in thinking, energy, behavior, and energy.
People who had bipolar disorder sometimes feel overly happy and energized, and sometimes they feel unfortunate, sluggish, and hopeless.
However, in between this period, they feel healthy. Due to the bi nature of this disorder, it is called bipolar.
Symptoms of bipolar disorder
- Excessive happiness, excitement, hopefulness, and excitement
- Sudden mood changes from happiness to being irritable, hostile and angry
- Poor concentration and rapid speech
- Fewer sleep needs
- Increased energy
- High and unusual sex drive
- Unrealistic plans
- Making grand
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Feel more impulsive
- Poor concentration
- In the depressive time, the bipolar affected patient may feel like:
- Low energy
- Feel hopelessness and worthlessness
- The things he was enjoying once are not enjoyable at all
- Trouble in concentration
- Want more sleep
- Difficulty in making decision
- Loss of appetite that might gain or lose weight
- Evil thoughts of suicide and deaths
- Attempt suicide
Medical treatment of the bipolar disorder
Since the bipolar needs long term care and concentration that is in continuation.
The treatment of bipolar disorder includes mood stabilizers like:
- Lamotrigine (Lamictal)
- Carbamazepine or Tegretol
- Depakote or valproate
But sometimes some other antipsychotic drugs have also been used like:
- Olanzapine (Zyprexa)
- Quetiapine (Seroquel)
Sometimes some other drugs also used that are not related to the field of psychology
Causes of bipolar disorder
There is not a single cause. The brain changes, stress, and genes all played a vital role in it.
Moreover, some of the researchers have shown that there is a different reason that contributes to bipolar development.
How it can be diagnosed
There is a crucial need to talk to the family doctor or psychiatrist. When you know someone who is suffering from bipolar syndrome.
The doctors will ask about the mental illness associated with you or anything that is running in the family.
Along with that, the person will run through the complete questions and answers session to get full knowledge about the disease.
Diagnosing bipolar disorder is all about to get the complete knowledge if the person is passing through any of the following symptoms like mood symptoms, low thyroid, which is caused by alcohol abuse or drug.
How intense are they, and how long they will last? How often will it last?
The most common symptoms are the lows or high flow of blood.
This will come with changes in energy, behavior, and thinking. In this regard, when the doctor talks to the family person or the other friends, then he might get a clear picture that if the person is involved in changes in behavior or thinking.
Who can get it?
In late adolescence or young adulthood, the person can develop this sort of problem.
After that, it can happen even in early childhood as it can run into families. Many people affected by drugs or alcohol who are suffering from severe depression or manic.
In such people are drug abusive or seasonal depression.
It can also affect people in post-traumatic stress, obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Some helpful resources:
- A Spectrum Approach to Mood Disorders: Not Fully Bipolar But Not Unipolar-Practical Management
- Mind Over Mood, Second Edition: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think
- Mood Disorders: A Practical Guide (Practical Guides in Psychiatry)
- Beyond the Blues: Understanding and Treating Prenatal and Postpartum Depression & Anxiety
- Mood Swings Understand Your Emotional Highs And Lows
The conclusion of this mood disorder, in a nutshell, is that there are different symptoms or the various causes of the mood disorders that vary from one person to another person.
An individual may face two types of emotional disorders, and either they are negative or depressed ones, or they are the irrational mania that is related to happiness.
This is treatable and curable too.
After reading above, saying it an ashamed thing that if someone is in trauma because of our fun of a few seconds. Being a part of a community, it’s our responsibility to support them, who are struggling with any disorder.
This is the planet that is given to us for sharing and caring.
We have to motivate the one who is struggling with any disorder In return, you’ll be more passionate about getting to your goals, successful people surround you, and others will want to help you reach your dreams … Oh, and you’ll become a motivational superhero. Time to get a cape!
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is mood disorder a mental illness?
It is a kind of psychological condition which needs to be managed and should get proper treatment before it gets worsened.
Q2. Can a mood disorder be cured?
It depends on the severity and the type of treatment as well as management the person is taking.
Q3.What kind of doctor treats mood disorders?
The psychiatrists should be the first ones to get the patients because they are specialized for all of this, they can further refer the patients to other kinds of doctors or specialists.
Q4. Are anxiety disorders mood disorders?
They are connected to some extent in some ways and can be present simultaneously in a person or can stimulate one another.
Q5. How do you treat mood swings?
The mood swings are treated in various ways.
Both bodily and psychological managements are important parts while the treatment of mood swings, discussed above in detail.
Q6. What causes sudden outbursts of anger?
They are various stimulants for outburst of anger varies from one patient to another.
- Overview of mood disorders
- General background information on mood disorders
- Mood disorders- An overview
- The various types of mood disorders
- Mood disorders, depression and bipolar disorders