Important Highlights for mirtazapine:
- Mirtazapine is available in market as brand name drugs and generic drugs. Brand names of mirtazapine are as Remron- Immediate release tablet, Remeron Soltab- orraly disintegrating tablet.
- You can take immediate release table by mouth. It is also available as a tablet that melts in your mouth.
- It is used for the treatment of depression.
What is mirtazapine?
Mirtazapine is available in immediate release tablet form. It is a well known prescription drug used for the treatment of depression.
It is also used as a part of combination therapy which means you can take it with other medications.
Mirtazapine is available under the brand name Remeron Soltab and Remeron immediate release.
Both the forms are available as generic drugs. Brand name versions are costly as compare to generic drugs.
Sometime these drugs may not be available in form of brand name drugs.
Uses of Mirtazapine
Mirtazapine is a best treatment prescription for depression.
People who’ve used it share their success stories with others, in order to encourage them on taking this medicine (under the doctor’s prescription) to treat depression.
Mirtazapine is an anti-depressant, also used for cats.
Mechanism of Mirtazapine
Mirtazapine belongs to a class of antidepressants drugs.
A class of drugs known as a group of medications that works in a same way. The group of drugs used to treat same problems.
The mechanism of mirtazapine is not known while treating depression.
It may boost the quantity of chemicals responsible for persons mood e.g. serotonin and norepinephrine in your brain.
Side Effects of Mirtazapine
Like all other medicines mirtazapine can also have side effects.
All the individuals taking may not have same side effects but few may have these side effects.
You may have side effects after taking mirtazapine like it can cause you drowsiness.
It can result problem in decision making, blur your thinking pattern, or make you give quick reactions.
Things you consider while taking mirtazapine like avoid driving, use of heavy machines, and activities that demands alertness of brain.
It can also cause you restlessness and agitation in first of few weeks of using.
This can also cause some other side effects:
Some More common side effects of Mirtazapine
The more widespread side effects of mirtazapine can comprise:
- increased hunger
- increase in weight
- dried up lips
- odd dreams
In general these side effects can go away in few days if they are not severe.
But if they are severe and you cannot handle them consult your doctor or pharmacist.
If Mirtazapine and Diazepam are taken together, they can also result in these side effects.
Serious side effects
Mirtazapine can also cause some serious kind of side effects.
In case you are having serious thoughts about life and you are thinking that you cannot handle them call 911 or medical emergency.
Serious side effects and their indication may contain the subsequent:
- Suicidal feelings or actions. Symptoms can comprise:
- efforts to commit suicide
- performing on dangerous impulses
- acting destructive or aggressive
- thoughts about suicide or disappearing
- new or aggravated depression
- new or severe anxiety and panic attacks
- feeling nervous, fidgety, irritated, or touchy
- difficulty in falling asleep
- more talkative than usual
- other atypical changes in behavior or mood
- Manic episodes. indication can comprise:
- Marked increase in energy
- Difficulty in falling asleep
- excessive thoughts
- hasty behavior
- flight of ideas
- extreme happiness or bad temper
- more talkative
- Destabilized immune system. Mirtazapine may reduce your white blood cells. White blood cells assist your body fight viruses. This can make you more probably to get diseases. Symptoms can consist of:
- sore throat
- tenderness of mouth or nose
- flu like symptoms, such as body pains, weariness, and nausea
- Serotonin syndrome. This state can be serious. Symptoms can contain:
- trouble opinion
- dexterity problems
- muscle jolt or stiff muscles
- nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- pounding heart
- Hypertension or hypotension
- fret or fever
- Eye issues. Symptoms can comprise:
- eye soreness
- changes in visualization
- bulge or redness in or around your eye
- Low salt (sodium) intensity in your blood. Older age people may be at a elevated danger for this problem. Symptoms can contain
- feeling shaky or feeble
- bewilderment, problem in concentrating or thinking, or recall problems
- Severe skin problems. Symptoms can comprise:
- on the palms of your hands and soles of your feet, severe rash with skin swelling
- open sores on your body or in your mouth, painful reddening of your skin or blisters or ulcers
- Severe allergic response. Symptoms can consist of:
- trouble gasp
- inflammation of your appearance, tongue, eyes, or oral cavity
- Pimples can be seen in allergic response to mirtazapine.
- rash, itchy swelling (pimples), or inflammation, alone or with fever or joint pain
- Increased appetite or weight gain
- elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- Rhabdomyolysis (a serious muscle predicament). Symptoms can contain:
- muscle aches
- kidney issues
Mirtazapine may react with new medications
Mirtazapine oral tablet can react differently with other medications like vitamins, and herbs you may be having.
A Drug interacts when it changes the way it works normally. This interaction can be dangerous and stop other drugs those are working normally well.
Doctor should manage all of the medications cautiously to avoid the interaction of drugs.
You should be careful in telling the doctor about all the medications you are taking like herbs and vitamins.
If you want to know how this drug will react to specific medication ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Below are given some drugs which can interact with mirtazapine.
List of Drugs React to Mirtazapine
Here here some drugs one should not take while taking mirtazapine because it can cuase severe side effect.
These drugs include:
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- These drugs can raise risk of serotonin syndrome. After taking mirtazapine you must wait 14 days to take MAOI. Same condition applies for mirtazapine. If you are exchanging from one of these drugs to the other, seek out medical help right away if you have symptoms of serotonin syndrome.
- intravenous methylene blue.
- This can increase your risk of serotonin syndrome.
Drugs that cause more side effects
Following drugs can cause more side effects while taking them with mirtazapine.
- Benzodiazepines, e.g. diazepam, triazolam, and midazolam: Person may have more sedation and sleepiness.
- Triptans, e.g. sumatriptan: Before taking them with mirtazapine consult your doctor if it is safe to them together because it can elevate the risk of serotonin syndrome.
- Lithium: this too can increase the risk of serotonin syndrome consult your doctor whether it is not dangerous to take these drugs jointly.
- Serotonergic pills, such as fentanyl, tramadol, and St. John’s wort.
- Antipsychotics and antibiotics. Taking these tablets with mirtazapine may raise your risk of a heart rhythm problem called QT continuation.
- Warfarin. This may increase in bleeding. So consult your doctor before taking it with mirtazapine.
Drugs that increase the level of mirtazapine in body
Following drugs can increase the amount of mirtazapine in person’s body.
So before taking them you must consult your doctor about the dosage of mirtazapine.
- Antibiotics, such as erythromycin
- Protease inhibitors for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), such as ritonavir
- Antifungals, such as ketoconazole
Drugs that decrease the level of mirtazapine in body
Here are some drugs that decrease the level of mirtazapine in person’s body.
If you want to take these drugs with mirtazapine, consult your doctor for the dosage of mirtazapine.
Dosage of mirtazapine
Some of the drug forms and dosage are discussed below.
Dosage and drug form, and how frequently you take the drug will depend on:
- your age
- type of the condition
- severity of the condition
- other medical problems you are having
- your reaction to the first dose
Drug forms and strengths
Generic Name: Mirtazapine
- Type: oral immediate release tablet
- strong point: 7.5 mg, 15 mg, 30 mg, 45 mg
- Type: orally disintegrating tablet
- strong point: 15 mg, 30 mg, 45 mg
Brand Name: Remeron
- Type: oral immediate release tablet
- Dosage: 15 mg, 30 mg, 45 mg
Brand Name: Remeron SolTab
- Type: orally disintegrating tablet
- Dosage: 15 mg, 30 mg, 45 mg
Dosage of Mirtazapine for depression
Adult dosage from ages 18–64 years
- Usual starting dosage: typically in the evening before bedtime you can take 15 mg once per day,
- Dosage added to: every 1 or 2 weeks doctor will increase the dosoage of your medication. Dosage will be changed as per the severity of your depression.
- Maximum daily dosage: you can have maximum of dose 45 mg of mirtazapine once per day.
For Children (ages 0–17 years)
For children it has not been established that mirtazapine is safe and useful for use in children younger than 18 years.
For Older Age Population (ages 65 years and older)
As discussed about mirtazapine can have severe side effects on kidneys of individuals with older age.
Kidneys of older people may not be in healthy condition. So, this drug can have harmful side effects on their kidneys.
It also can make drug process more slowly. In slow process drug can stay for longer time in body which increase the health risk.
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
So before taking this medication proper medical checkup is important and also consults your doctor before taking it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How much dosage of Mirtazapine person can take?
You must consult your doctor for the dosage of mirtazapine.
However, normally starting dose of mirtazapine starts from 15 or 30 mg per day.
At what time person can take Mirtazapine tablets?
It will be good if you take mirtazapine tablets before you go to sleep.
Taking mirtazapine at the same time everyday will be good for effective results.
How much time it takes to feel better after taking mirtazapine?
Typically, tablets start working after 1 or 2 weeks of their intake.
Person starts feeling better after 4 weeks.
What to do when a person took more tablets of mirtazapine?
Mostly the signs of over dosage of mirtazapine will be drowsiness, disorientation and accelerated rate of heart beat.
If this is the case call your doctor for medical help.
What to do if person forgot to take mirtazapine?
If you missed the dose, skip the missed dose and take the dose next day at the prescribed time.
What we recommend for depression
If you are suffering from depression then ongoing professional counselling may be your ideal first point of call. Counselling will utilize theories such as Cognitive behavioural therapy which will help you live a more fulfilling life.