Manic episode (an in-depth guide)
This article will provide you extensive detail related to the manic episode so that you will be fully aware of this mental disorder and what is it about.
This article will also provide you detailed information related to the causes, symptoms, and possible treatments associated with a manic episode so that you become completely aware of this mental problem.
A manic episode is a type of bipolar disorder in which a patient faces extreme mood swings along with rising and fall in the energy levels and motivation to do stuff.
A patient suffering from the manic episode shows extreme mood swings, rise, and fall in the level of excitation and motivation to do things.
Most importantly, these patients won’t feel like they need to sleep. This lack of sleeplessness causes irritated and aggressive behavior.
The patient may also be hallucinated on time.
Procrastination, lack of action to do stuff, and suicidal thoughts can all be the result of a manic episode.
Now the question comes that how does one deal with such a bipolar disorder?
What are the main symptoms that will help one know if someone is suffering from a manic episode?
Well, you will get the details about everything related to a manic episode in this article.
It is essential to have good knowledge about this bipolar disorder.
A manic episode is a type of bipolar disorder in which a person shows irritated mood along with extreme mood swings.
The best way to know if a person is bipolar is to ask them about specific stuff.
If they don’t suffer from the disorder, they will answer your question nicely.
Still, if they have bipolar disorder, then they will most likely show irritated, aggressive behavior, and hence wanting you to leave them alone.
Many patients who suffer from the manic episode are also very suicidal. There are many reasons for this.
Firstly it is because of their life problems and personal problems that compel them to think of committing suicide.
When your internal forces become against you, then it becomes hard to live life the best way.
Bipolar individuals suffer from a lot of emotional problems like lack of self-confidence, mood swings, irritating behavior, lack of sleep followed by less desire to rest, inability to focus, and most commonly, they are always lost somewhere.
Sign that a person is manic!
One of the most common signs to see if a person is manic or not is their extent of procrastination.
Most bipolar individuals will have bundles of work too, and they will start doing it.
But in a midway, they will stop doing it because of a lack of desire to do anything.
This is because these individuals are always lost somewhere, which makes it hard for them to come out of that bubble and face the bubble and face reality.
The most common cause of bipolarity…
One of the most common reasons for bipolar behavior is a hormonal imbalance.
Emotional trauma can also cause bipolarity in an individual, and hence the person becomes manic.
Most common causes of Manic episode
The manic episode has not a particular reason that is the root of this problem.
In fact, it is still not known what the actual cause of manic or bipolar behavior is.
However, some of the most common causes of manic episode seen in most of the individuals suffering from bipolar disorder are as follows:
- Extreme changes in sleep pattern.
- Continuous lack of rest.
- Hormonal imbalance
- A fundamental change in your life ( like moving out of the old house, moving to another country, etc.
- Abusive parents and family
- Genetic history (a family who has bipolar mood swings )
All these causes have been seen in the majority of bipolar individuals.
However, it is still not known what causes this manic behavior in people.
This bipolar disorder is most common in teenagers as they are always going through extreme life changes.
They also have to face a lot of things in school and the home as well, which can lead to bipolar behavior, A child can become manic if he/she has abusive parents.
Bullies at school can also lead to a person becoming manic.
Symptoms of Manic episode
When it comes to the symptoms of the manic episode, it is widespread to sort them out in individuals who are bipolar or manic.
Having a thorough knowledge and understanding of these symptoms will help you get to know whether a person is bipolar or not.
- Lowered self-esteem: One of the most common symptoms of a manic episode is that manic individuals have low self-esteem. Whether they are in a vast crowd or even Inside their own houses, they will have a lack of self-confidence. If you talk to a manic person who has low self-esteem, he/she will avoid looking at you or have a face to face conversation. This is because of low self-esteem that may cause chronic distress.
- Easily distracted: Another most common symptom of manic behavior is the loss of attraction or the distractibility in an individual. Individuals who get distracted easily are at a higher chance of being bipolar. A manic person will get distracted easily every time they have to do some critical work. This not only leads to procrastination but also makes the person aggressive.
- The burden of work: Often, the bipolar individuals have a higher desire to succeed and do better, and when they start working, they either don’t work at all or whenever they do, they try to do multiple tasks at the same time. This develops a burden on the individual, and their ability to do work on time decreases.
- Sexual fantasies: A bipolar person is always lost somewhere in his/her head. The ability to think drastically reduces, which also makes it hard for manic individuals to learn a new task. This is because most of these individuals are lost in sexual fantasies that it becomes hard for them to focus on real-life tasks. Jobs are so much more important to them and their careers. But this lack of focus makes it hard for them to get out of that bubblehead and focus on what matters the most.
Possible treatment of a manic episode
Bipolar behavior is treated with therapy and psychological tests.
Often patients who suffer from manic episode need more time and attention to get back on the right track.
But this is only possible with the little practice and strong will.
Usually, a person who has bipolar disorder is subjected to a productive therapy session, including a team of well-trained psychologists and psychiatrists.
The doctors take the psychological exam, physical exam as well as check the patient’s history to figure out the most appropriate treatment plan for the patient.
As every individual is different therefore their problems are various too.
Hence, anyone who is manic should always prefer contacting the doctors to get back on to life with the aid of professional therapy sessions and psychological exams.
Apart from that, the doctor prescribes a medication to the patient according to the severity of his/her problem.
This is by far the best possible way to treat manic episode and bipolar disorder in an individual.
Some helpful resources:
- There are many beneficial books out there in the market that are based on manic behavior. One of these fantastic books is: The Bipolar Spectrum: Diagnosis or Fad? Joel Paris writes this book.
- Here is another book that contains detailed information related to manic behavior and bipolar disorder in general. Bipolar Strong: An Empowering Collection By and For Teens & Adults With Bipolar Disorder, Depression, And Other Neurological Brain Disorders, or “Hidden Disabilities”
- There is another popular book called: Handbook Of Bipolar Disorders: Diagnosis and Therapeutic Approaches written by Siegfried Kasper; Hirshfeld M.A Robert.
- To have the maximum knowledge about bipolarity, you must buy this book called: Bipolar Children: cutting edge controversy, insights and research This book is written by Sharna Olfman.
- Two Bipolar Chicks Guide To Survival: Tips for Living with Bipolar Disorder
A manic episode is a type of bipolar disorder that leads to severe forms of aggressive and irritating behavior in individuals.
These individuals are not suffering from lack of sleep, but also this lack of rest leads to a lack of interest in other aspects of life.
Manic behavior can be genetic and non-genetic.
A person suffering from bipolarity needs more attention and love.
Therefore the best possible treatment when it comes to dealing with manic behavior is a professional and planned therapeutic session with a team of highly qualified doctors, psychiatrists, and psychologists.
Some of the most common questions related to Manic episode are as under:
What are manic episodes?
A manic episode is a type of bipolar disorder that leads to extreme mood swings in an individual.
Most individuals are suffering from bipolarity show a lack of interest, restlessness, lowered self-esteem, and depressive talks.
What does a manic episode feel like?
It surely doesn’t feel okay being manic.
A manic person has to deal with emotional and psychological stress.
They always have a lot of stuff going on in their heads that it becomes hard to focus on just one thing at a time.
Manic people need more love and care than anyone else because this bipolarity can also be a result of a lack of love and care.
How do you stop a manic episode?
If a person suffering from manic episode wants to get rid of it, then he/she must have durable will power and the confidence that he/she can overcome this bipolar behavior.
It all comes from our heads. It is out choice t be happy or continue being sad and ruin our mood.
How long does a manic episode last?
A manic episode can last anywhere between a few weeks to a few months.
If the bipolar person is depressed as well, then the manic behavior can last even longer than that.
However, practical therapy sessions can reduce the time to get over this manic behavior.
Does bipolar worsen with age?
Yes, there are chances that a bipolar can worsen with age.
With time a person can either heal or become more aggressive and lost in bipolar behavior.
However, you can reduce this bipolar behavior with proper treatment.
What causes a manic episode?
Emotional stress, lack of self-confidence, violence, and psychological trauma are some of the few common causes of a manic episode.
Hormonal imbalance can also lead to bipolarity.
Therefore a person should have a thorough understanding of bipolar behavior to help save a life.
Take Control of Your Bipolar Disorder Today: Get Personalized Therapy with BetterHelp
Living with bipolar disorder can be a challenge, but it doesn’t have to be a lonely one.
BetterHelp is here to help you find the support and guidance you need to manage your condition and live your best life. Our platform connects you with licensed therapists who specialize in treating bipolar disorder, providing you with a safe and secure space to talk about your experiences and work towards healing.
With BetterHelp, you can access therapy from the comfort of your own home and on your own schedule. Don’t let bipolar disorder control your life.
Take the first step towards a happier, healthier you with BetterHelp.