If you are the type of person who “lights up” immediately and has difficulty keeping calm in certain situations, you should know that you are not the only one.
But there are ways to avoid anger and keep calm when you feel impatient.
8 practical tips to keep calm in extreme situations
- Identify the situations that make you lose your temper. It can be infernal traffic, co-workers or being late. Discover the causes and focus on staying calm at those times of the day.
- Take a deep breath. When you feel a nervous breakdown approaching, recognize it and try to calm down by taking a deep breath and exhaling. Repeat until you feel better.
- Count to 10. You’ve probably heard this advice dozens of times, but it’s true. By the time you finish counting in your mind, your annoyance will be reduced so much that you won’t even know what annoyed you (hopefully).
- Take a step back. Think ahead … if you get angry now and say something to the one who hurt you, how will this help you long-term? Will it matter in an hour, tomorrow or in a month?
- Be zen. Instead of diving deep in the water, let the problems flow around you without affecting you and without believing that everything is a conspiracy against you.
- Find a spiritual motto. “Nothing touches me,” “This shall too pass,” “It’s not the end of the world” … any affirmation you think calms you down.
- See the humor of the situation. Sure, you may not find it funny at the moment that the machine ate your juice money without giving you anything back, but imagine that it would have happened to someone else (maybe someone you don’t really like).
- Find things to distract you. Keep a book or a newspaper with you, or install a game on your phone. Whenever you feel angry, use them to distract you.
15 Keep Calm Quotes
- “Whenever something bad happens, keep calm, take a few deep breaths and shift the focus to something positive.” ― Roy T. Bennett
- “No one else knows exactly what the future holds for you, no one else knows what obstacles you’ve overcome to be where you are, so don’t expect others to feel as passionate about your dreams as you do.” ― Germany Kent
- “If you do not have control over your mouth, you will not have control over your future.” ― Germany Kent
- “Never give up hope. All things are working for your good. One day, you’ll look back on everything you’ve been through and thank God for it.”
- “Today if anything is trying to hold you back, give no attention to it. Get your hopes up, get your faith up, look up, and get ready to rise up.” ― Germany Kent
- “Be the girl you want your daughter to be. Be the girl you want your son to date. Be classy, be smart, be real, but most importantly be nice.” ― Germany Kent
- “Think about every good thing in your life right now. Free yourself of worrying. Let go of the anxiety, breathe. Stay positive, all is well.” ― Germany Kent
- “Who cares about tomorrow?
What more is tomorrow,
than another day?
(-The Avett Brothers, “Swept Away”)” ― Colleen Hoover
- “When the expected occurs, never panic, by keep calming, you gain control over the situation.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Keep calm and grow magic pomegranates.” ― Molly Ringle
- “when a man has little time, he must take care to maintain his calm. We must act as if we had eternity before us.” ― Umberto Eco
- “There are certain things you have control over and there are certain things you don’t have control over, but always remember one thing: nobody has control over everything and nobody knows tomorrow better than God! Always do your best; let it be the best, be cheerful and smile always!” ― Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
- “They might make you feel you are useless or incomplete. Don’t let it affect you. Keep calm and let your future prove that they were wrong.” ― Amen Muffler
- “Do not ever get agitated by provoking thoughts and actions.
Always keep your calm. This will shame the alien.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Don’t stop believing,
Don’t be afraid of change,
Don’t underestimate yourself,
Don’t make excuses,
Don’t cheat yourself,
Don’t ever ever STOP!” ― Germany Kent
25 Keep Calm Quotes
- “Deep down we’re all the same. When life’s storms threaten to drown us we just do our best to keep calm, carry on, and breathe. If I’ve learned one thing along the way it’s that learning to breathe again is a team sport and we all need a little help along the way.” ― Niki Hardy
- “In every circumstance, keep calm.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Flag up your courage high and your fears will salute it in humility. Your fears are like walls without foundations; they are afraid to go down and hence pretend to be strong! Exercise Courage!” ― Israelmore Ayivor
- “Defend your leadership roles with your true character. Never attack your own aspirations with corruption and unfaithfulness! Keep calm and be honest!” ― Israelmore Ayivor
- “Everyone propels at different stages of their life. Just keep calm, work on it and wait on your right moment!” ― Hopal Green
- “You don’t need to be too anxious about anything; you only need to get understanding!” ― Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
- “The day hope shall die, perplexity shall kill so many people. As far as hope is alive, keep hoping!” ― Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
- “Change is important, but if you can’t really change it, just keep calm, understand the situation and go through it with a good heart! Time will surely speak with time!” ― Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
- “Explain yourself when it is a must, but sometimes, in life, keep quiet when people think you are mad or you shall speak and speak how mad they think you are!” ― Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
- “Keep calm and let your heart sing the song of kindness.” ― Debasish Mridha
- “No matter how long the birds shall keep making noise, they shall surely retire to bed with closed beaks!” ― Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
- “There are problems and there are problems. One big problem and a great paradox in the arena of life is the problem of where or how a person is now and where or how he wants to be tomorrow. Had it not been this problem, we would have been relaxing all day long” ― Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
- “Impatience is not the fastest way of getting to where your treasures are. It is the quickest way of by-passing them without even knowing. Keep calm; be patient!” ― Israelmore Ayivor
- “Your brand is your personal lawyer… It defends and speaks for you even in your absence. Keep calm and maintain a good brand!”― Israelmore Ayivor
- “Remain calm, serene, always in command of yourself. You will then find out how easy it is to get along.” – Paramahansa Yogananda
- “Calm mind brings inner strength and self-confidence, so that’s very important for good health.” – Dalai Lama
- “You don’t have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you. “ – Dan Millman
- “The day she let go of the things that were weighing her down, was the day she began to shine the brightest.” – Katrina Mayer
- “Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind.” – David G. Allen
- “I long for the countryside. That’s where I get my calm and tranquillity from – being able to come and find a spot of green.” – Emilia Clarke
- “Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, it empties today of its strength.” – Corrie ten Boom
- “Step outside for a while – calm your mind. It is better to hug a tree than to bang your head against a wall continually.” – Rasheed Ogunlaru
- “Keep calm because pain makes you stronger, fear makes you braver and heartbreak makes you wiser.” – Ritu Ghatourey
- “The most intense conflicts, if overcome, leave behind a sense of security and calm that is not easily disturbed. It is just these intense conflicts and their conflagration which are needed to produce valuable and lasting results.” – Carl Jung
- “Stop a minute, right where you are. Relax your shoulders, shake your head and spine like a dog shaking off cold water. Tell that imperious voice in your head to be still.” – Barbara Kingsolver
35 Keep Calm Quotes
- “Being relaxed, at peace with yourself, confident, emotionally neutral, loose, and free-floating – these are the keys to successful performance in almost everything.” – Wayne W. Dyer
- “Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be.” – Wayne W. Dyer
- “The greatest armament against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.” – William James
- “Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Everything we do is infused with the energy with which we do it. If we’re frantic, life will be frantic. If we’re peaceful, life will be peaceful.” – Marianne Williamson
- “Choose to be optimistic. It feels better.” – Dalai Lama
- “You practice mindfulness, on the one hand, to be calm and peaceful. On the other hand, as you practice mindfulness and live a life of peace, you inspire hope for a future of peace.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Everything you do can be done better from a place of relaxation.” – Stephen C. Paul
- “If you do not have control over your mouth, you will not have control over your future.” – Germany Kent
- “Panic causes tunnel vision. Calm acceptance of danger allows us to more easily assess the situation and see the options.” – Simon Sinek
- “To experience peace does not mean that your life is always blissful. It means that you are capable of tapping into a blissful state of mind amidst the normal chaos of a hectic life.” – Jill Bolte Taylor
- “Those who act with few desires are calm, without worry or fear.” – Buddha
- “Learn to calm down the winds of your mind, and you will enjoy great inner peace.” – Remez Sasson
- “Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like the dickens underneath.” – Michael Caine
- “He who is of calm and happy nature will hardly feel the pressure of age, but to him who is of an opposite disposition youth and age are equally a burden.” – Plato
- “Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer.” – William S. Burroughs
- “Peace of mind is attained not by ignoring problems, but by solving them.” – Raymond Hull
- “Do not ever get agitated by provoking thoughts and actions. Always keep your calm. This will shame the alien.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Being under stress is like being stranded in a body of water. If you panic, it will cause you to flail around so that the water rushes into your lungs and creates further distress. Yet, by calmly collecting yourself and using controlled breathing you remain afloat with ease.” – Alaric Hutchinson
- “The enormous vermilion sun was dropping toward the sea, its reflected glow making a blazing path across the water to the very beach, where the last ripple was spangled with garnets. Otherwise, the sea was periwinkle purple, spilling and whispering and sidling with an easy going prattle of foam round the steeper rocks.” ― L.M. Boston, The Sea Egg
- “When we observe the flow of our breathing, we transcend our thoughts and are able to bring mind and body into harmony with each other. Thus, we create calm.” ― Christopher Dines, The Kindness Habit: Transforming our Relationship to Addictive Behaviours
- . “Nothing conquers the chaos around me like the calm assurance that I am at peace with God.” ― Ron Brackin
- “I love the storm and fear the calm.” ― Christina Queen of Sweden
- “Why are we afraid of the silence that ensues after our death? Wasn’t it the same silence we endured before birth? Isn’t it the same silence we revel in when we are completely immersed in the present moment? Let us not be afraid.” ― Kamand Kojouri
- “I take showers to think.” ― J.R. Rim
- “…ya can’t get to Nevada on five bucks and a bad heart…” ― Dave Matthes, Return to the Madlands
- “Knowing when you should weigh up your options, remain calm and not take everything at face value has certain benefits. Ending the day with a peaceful soul is one…” ― Virginia Alison
- “…people who don’t live at least a little bit in fear, have nothing left to live for.” ― Dave Matthes, Return to the Madlands
- “You don’t have to go back to the way things were. Just go back to the point where you left off. Don’t start over… just keep going, but there’s a right way of keeping going. And no one here is going to be angry at you for leaving. We all have to leave sometimes.
And some of us never come back. But there’s always a choice, even if you’ve already decided never to return. You can still come back from this. That is the only kind of faith that matters. Not in the world, not in…God…, not in our friendship… just in yourself.” ― Dave Matthes, Return to the Madlands
- He thought perhaps it was a woman’s way, to come out of such a storm of emotion and pain as if she were a ship emerging onto calm seas. She had seemed, not at peace, but emptied of sorrow. As if she had run out of that particular emotion and no other one arose to take its place.” ― Robin Hobb, Blood of Dragons
- “Let the night take you. Let the stars evaporate into your dreams. Let sleep be the only comfort for you to believe.” ― Anthony Liccione
- “Never lose your temper.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita, Pearls of Wisdom: Great mind
- “Echo of the waves appears in the sky, their lights reflected in your eyes. I’m back in our world and happy again. The sound of your voice, compassionate embrace… The power in your touch, serenity of stride…
The beating of your heart calms down my presence, gracing with eternal peace of mind… Bathing in the sunshine of your arms I’m deeply aware of the melodic stream that has no language…gliding beneath the quiet Heaven of your eyes…” ― Oksana Rus
- “Rationality and calm self-determination were one of the great illusions of the universe… in the end, we were all ruled by our passions.” ― Michael R. French, Once Upon a Lie
- “Be calm like a calm lake, then you will look beautiful like a beautiful calm lake!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
50 Keep Calm Quotes
- “They sicken of the calm who know the storm.” ― Dorothy Parker, Sunset Gun: Poems
2. “Well, I can’t eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them. I say it’s perfectly heartless you’re eating muffins at all, under the circumstances.” ― Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
3. “You are the sky. Everything else – it’s just the weather.” ― Pema Chödrön
4. “Patience is not the ability to wait. Patience is to be calm no matter what happens, constantly take action to turn it to positive growth opportunities, and have faith to believe that it will all work out in the end while you are waiting.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart
5. “Whoever’s calm and sensible is insane!” ― Jalaluddin Rumi, The Essential Rumi
6. “To learn to see – to accustom the eye to calmness, to patience, and to allow things to come up to it; to defer judgment, and to acquire the habit of approaching and grasping an individual case from all sides.
This is the first preparatory schooling of intellectuality. One must not respond immediately to a stimulus; one must acquire a command of the obstructing and isolating instincts.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols
7. “I like trains. I like their rhythm, and I like the freedom of being suspended between two places, all anxieties of purpose taken care of: for this moment I know where I am going.” ― Anna Funder, Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall
8. “Rushing into action, you fail.
Trying to grasp things, you lose them.
Forcing a project to completion, you ruin what was almost ripe.
Therefore the Master takes action by letting things take their course.
He remains as calm at the end as at the beginning.
He has nothing, thus has nothing to lose.
What he desires is non-desire; what he learns is to unlearn.
He simply reminds people of who they have always been.
He cares about nothing but the Tao.
Thus he can care for all things.” ― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
9. “Right at that moment it was as if we were the only two people left in the world. And I don’t mean that to sound corny; it just honestly did. The only sounds were the droning crickets and chip-chips of the bats, the faraway wind against the sand, and the occasional distant yowl of a dingo.
There were no car horns. No trains. No jack-hammers. No lawnmowers No planes. No sirens. No alarms. No anything human. If you’d told me that you’d saved me from a nuclear holocaust, I might have believed you.”
― Lucy Christopher, Stolen: A Letter to My Captor
10. “Be like a duck, paddling and working very hard inside the water, but what everyone sees is a smiling and calm face.” ― Manoj Arora, From the Rat Race to Financial Freedom
11. “The ideal of calm exists in a sitting cat.” ― Jules Renard
12. “Be patient. Your skin took a while to deteriorate. Give it some time to reflect a calmer inner state. As one of my friend’s states on his Facebook profile: “The true Losers in Life, are not those who Try and Fail, but those who Fail to Try.” ― Jess C. Scott, Clear: A Guide to Treating Acne Naturally
13. “Perhaps there are those who are able to go about their lives unfettered by such concerns. But for those like us, our fate is to face the world as orphans, chasing through long years the shadows of vanished parents. There is nothing for it but to try and see through our missions to the end, as best we can, for until we do so, we will be permitted no calm.” ― Kazuo Ishiguro, When We Were Orphans
14. “The storm before the calm.” ― Cameron Conaway, Caged: Memoirs of a Cage-Fighting Poet
15. “Who’s crazy: people who trust other people, or people who don’t?” ― Lenore Skenazy
16. “The woman recovering from abuse or other stressful life situations may feel she’s in no way in charge of anything, least of all her own world. She faces the horse with trepidation. The horse senses the fear and becomes tense and concerned. The wise instructor starts small.
The woman is handed a soft brush and sent to fuss over the horse. It’s pointed out that if she stands close to the animal, she will be out of range of a well-aimed kick. She is warned to watch for tell-tale signs of fear in herself and the horse. She’s warned to keep her feet out from under the horse’s stomping hoof.
They’re both allowed to back away and regroup and try again until they reach an accord regarding personal space. Calm prevails, and within a few minutes, hours or sessions, interaction becomes friendship. It happens almost every time a woman is allowed enough time and space to work through the situation.
So a woman whose daily life is overwhelming her learns to step back. Is this a cure for her endless problems? Of course not. Simple is not simplistic.” ― Joanne M. Friedman, Horses in the Yard
17. “A man of calm is like a shady tree.
People who need shelter come to it.”
― Toba Beta, Betelgeuse Incident: Insiden Bait Al-Jauza
18. “Don’t let the rain drive you to the wrong shelter; the shade can turn out to be your protector and also your destroyer, and sometimes the rain is the perfect protector from the rain.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
19. “Music burst through him, perfect notes he heard rarely. Fire and ice, wind and calm, sky and earth, water and rock all fused together. Joley seemed as wild and turbulent as the sea, yet beneath her fiery passion, at the very core of her, she was as forceful and strong and as constant as the deepest ocean currents.
Ilya seemed as calm as a windless sea, yet beneath the surface smoldered a volcano of such explosive magnitude, his power could easily sweep everything from his path. Together they completed each other, his melody and hers merging together into a single, perfect harmony.” ― Christine Feehan, Turbulent Sea
20. “A samurai must remain calm at all times even in the face of danger.” ― Chris Bradford, The Way of the Sword
21. “When you are angry try your best to go to sleep, it keeps you away from speaking, writing and thinking while you are angry.”― Amit Kalantri
22. “…I’ve been with you all day.
I’m trying to stay calm.
I’m impatient and it’s really hard to breathe.
I’m going to empty you and fill you in with me…” ― Slipknot, Slipknot, Vol. 3
23. “Those who believe and their hearts become calm and content with the remembrance of Allah…know that it is the remembrance of Allah alone that brings rest to the hearts. (The Qur’an-surah ar-Ra’d; 28)” ― Anonymous
24. “It stood calm against the suburban storm raging around it. The thunder screamed across the sky; it slapped the clouds into a heated turmoil that flew towards the south.” ― J.D. Stroube, Caged in Darkness
25. “You cannot wait for an untroubled world to have an untroubled moment. The terrible phone call, the rainstorm, the sinister knock on the door—they will all come. Soon enough arrive the treacherous villain and the unfair trial and the smoke and the flames of the suspicious fires to burn everything away. In the meantime, it is best to grab what wonderful moments you find lying around.” ― Lemony Snicket, Shouldn’t You Be in School?
26. “Peaceful disputes are maintained when men sincerely believe that they are morally, logically correct about the issues at hand. It is when neither side is really certain that wars are instigated.”― Criss Jami, Killosophy
27. “I lay there with my mind running amuck, on the brink of madness. And somehow, gradually, early Sunday morning, I became calm. I can’t think of any other word for it. I was thinking about the beach poem again, and I started to feel that I was being looked after, that everything was OK.
It was strange: if there was ever a time in my life when I had the right to feel alone this was it. But I lost that sense of loneliness. I felt like there was a force in the room with me, not a person, but I had a sense that there was another world, another dimension, and it would be looking after me.
It was like, “This isn’t the only world, this is just one aspect of the whole thing, don’t imagine this is all there is.” ― John Marsden, A Killing Frost
28. “Indeed, she often wondered if she were dead, or dying from the inside out, and that was the root of her calm, the reason she could surrender her character.” ― Gregory Maguire, A Lion Among Men
29. “And someday, when the parties don’t dazzle you anymore,
and when the alcohol fails to amuse your senses, come to me.
We’ll lie on the grass, stare at the stars, and talk about Life.
Maybe I will become the Moment you rediscover yourself again.” ― Meraaqi, Divine Trouble
30. “The nature of the world is to be calm, and enhance and support life, and evil is an absence of the inclination of matter to be at peace.” ― Gregory Maguire, Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
31. “When you gaze out on a quiet, peaceful meadow, next to a still pond, under a motionless blue sky, you wonder how the noisy, busy cacophony of life could have arisen from such a silent, motionless beginning.” ― M., The Meaning(s) of Life: A Human’s Guide to the Biology of Souls
32. “If we are calm,” replied the policeman, “it is the calm of organized resistance.”
“Eh?” said Syme, staring.
“The soldier must be calm in the thick of the battle,” pursued the policeman. “The composure of an army is the anger of a nation.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare
33. “When one tunes in into nature’s frequency, life becomes change, change becomes hope!” ― Aniekee Tochukwu Ezekiel
34. “But somehow, standing in the clear night air, under a sky that glowed like a shower of sparks, none of that stuff mattered. It slipped off me. It was like shedding your clothes before you step in the shower. I felt I was down to essentials again. In fact I felt very close to God at that moment. I guess if you’re ever going to feel close to God it’ll be while you’re looking at the heavens.” ― John Marsden, The Night Is for Hunting
35. “Patience, more than the ability to bear pains or endure waiting, is to be calm no matter what happens – constantly take action to turn it to positive growth opportunities – and have faith to believe that it will all work out in the end while you are waiting.” ― Roy T. Bennett
36. “Maybe if we just lay beneath the stars long enough, all our worries will dissipate into the cosmos. And we can lay there motionless, yet sailing across the stars.” ― Trevor Driggers
37. “When I’m depressed, I read Caeiro — he’s my fresh air. I become very calm, content, faithful — yes, I find faith in God, and in the soul’s transcendent living smallness, after reading the poems by that ungodly anti-humanist who goes unsurpassed on earth.” ― Álvaro de Campos
38. “There is so much power in choosing to love yourself against all odds and I hope with every kind of painful experience you become more aware who you are and what you are truly capable of. Life hurts but it’s also remarkably beautiful if you look past the chaos.” ― Nikki Rowe
39. “Whatever you value, it becomes your sun! If you value a calm night, your own sun will rise with the sunset on the horizon!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
40. “Let’s accept that dead people are in position for relaxing and watching.” ― Deyth Banger
41. “The weather is nature’s disruptor of human plans and busybodies. Of all the things on earth, nature’s disruption is what we know we can depend on, as it is essentially uncontrolled by men.” ― Criss Jami, Killosophy
42. “It’s more than OK to say no to the people and places that harm your peace.” ― Nikki Rowe
43. “It was a wonderful feeling, a sense of release and boundless freedom that he had never known before. He was beyond the reach of all the things that had weighed him down and hemmed him in.” ― Michael Ende, TheNeverending Story
44. “Stay at peace with everyone you meet and hold no grudge with anyone for any reason.” ― Israelmore Ayivor, Become a Better You
45. “When problems come, remain calm in two cases. One when you know you can solve them so smile; second when you know you can’t be silent.” ― Vikrmn, 10 Golden Steps of Life
46. “The new disease of our age is being OK doing everything at exactly the same time.” ― Nigel Cumberland, 100 Things Successful People Do: Little Exercises for Successful Living
More Stay Calm Quotes for Anger and Anxiety
47. “Control your anger, be calm.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
48. “If you find yourself engaged in an argument that only stirs anger in the heart, quickly make peace and carry on.” ― Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute the Sun: The Writings of Suzy Kassem
49. “Life could have been way easier if we could just use “Please, do not disturb” sign in our social lives!” ― Mohsen Sheha
50. “Quiet mind, quiet soul.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
Other Mental health quotes which you may like
Below are other mental health quotes which may be of interest to you:
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
|Lion King Quotes|
|Little Girl Quotes for Mothers and Daughters|
|Lone wolf quotes to inspire you|
|Lord of the Rings Quotes|
|Marie Kondo quotes for an organized life|
|May Quotes and Poems|
How often do you lose your temper? What are the things that annoy you the most?
Which of these Keep Calm quotes do you think will help you relax and detach yourself from a tense situation?
Let us know in the comments section!