In this guide, we will discuss kalms tablets and high blood pressure.
Kalms tablets and high blood pressure
Kalms tablets and high blood pressure can be a real concern.
This is why there are some things you need to consider before taking Kalms tablets since this medicine is available without a prescription.
Consider contacting your doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner if your symptoms get worse or you don’t see an improvement after 4 weeks, however, according to Lloyd’s Pharmacy, you should attempt to contact your doctor if there is worsening of the symptoms or no improvement after 7 days.
Even though there is no specific known information on Kalms tablets and high blood pressure association, one thing we do know and that is how anxiety seems to be related to temporary spikes in your blood pressure.
If you suffer from high blood pressure, make sure to get advice from your healthcare provider before starting to take Kalms.
Since one of the ingredients of Kalms is valerian root, avoid using it if you are using a medication to treat any of the following conditions (everyday health):
- any type of infection (including HIV, malaria, or tuberculosis);
- anxiety or depression;
- asthma or allergies;
- erectile dysfunction;
- heartburn or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD);
- high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or a heart condition;
- migraine headaches;
- psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, or other autoimmune disorders;
- a psychiatric disorder; or
What are Kalms tablets?
Kalms Tablets are hop strobiles and extracts of Valerian root and Gentian root, which is a traditional herbal medicine treatment for the temporary relief of:
- Symptoms associated with stress (e.g mild anxiety, worry, irritability)
- Symptoms related to menopause (e.g flushings, worry, wakefulness, cold sweats)
- Sleeping problems, promoting natural sleep
If you have any of the following, do not attempt to take Kalms tablets:
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You are under the age of 18
- You are already taking medicine for anxiety or for sleep
- You are taking other medicines
Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you can take Kalms tablets when taking other prescription medicines or medicines without a prescription.
It is important to know that this medicine contains sucrose so if you know you are intolerant to some sugars, contact your doctor for additional advice before taking the medicine.
Also, if you feel sleepy due to the medicine do not attempt to drive or handle any machinery.
In addition, the effects of this medicine may be increased by alcohol intake, meaning, alcohol should be avoided while taking the medicine.
How to take Kalms tablets
If you want temporary relief symptoms associated with stress such as mild anxiety and irritability or symptoms that are associated with menopause, the adults and children over 12 years, the recommended dose is 2 tablets three times per day with water after meals, according to the Kalms Tablets leaflet.
It is not recommended for children under the age of 12 years old.
In contrast, if you are going to use it for the temporary relief of sleep disturbances, the recommended dose for adults and the elderly is 2 tablets 30 to 60 minutes before bedtime.
One additional tablet can be taken earlier during the evening if necessary.
Remember always to consult with your doctor and read the instructions (leaflet) carefully before starting the medication.
Additional recommendations include:
- For oral short term use only.
- The tablets should be swallowed whole with water or other liquid
- The use of this product in children or adolescents under 18 years of age is not recommended because data is not sufficient and medical advice should be sought.
- As treatment effects may not be apparent immediately, this medicine should be taken for 2-4 weeks continuously
- The maximum daily dose is 6 tablets, Do not exceed the stated dose.
For how long can I use it?
As discussed, if symptoms worsen or do not improve after 4 weeks, a doctor or a qualified healthcare practitioner should be consulted.
If you take more Kalms tablets than you should If you take too many tablets, consult your doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner as soon as possible.
Do not attempt to take a double dose to make up for any missed dose if you forget taking your Kalms tablets.
Also, if you are unsure about this medication, consult your doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner for advice.
Possible side effects
Every medicine has its side effects, even though this is considered a natural and herbal remedy.
Kalms tablets can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them:
- Gastrointestinal effects such as nausea and stomach cramps have been reported with Valerian root preparations. However, the frequency is still not known.
- Gastrointestinal disorders have been observed with Gentian root. The frequency was uncommon.
- In rare cases, tachycardia and pruritus have been reported.
- Headache may occur. The frequency is unknown.
- If any of the side effects become serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed here, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Kalms tablets ingredients
The active substance per coated tablet is:
- 45mg of Hop Strobiles (Humulus lupulus L.)
- 33.75mg of extract (as dry extract) from Valerian root (Valeriana officinalis L.) (equivalent to 135 to 167mg of Valerian root)
- Extraction solvent: Ethanol 60%v/v
- 22.5mg of extract (as dry extract) from Gentian root (Gentiana lutea L.) (equivalent to 90mg of Gentian root)
- Extraction solvent: Ethanol 50% v/v Each coated tablet contains 247mg sucrose.
Other ingredients include:
- Extract: Maltodextrin, Silicon Dioxide
- Core: Acacia (Spray-dried), Icing Sugar, Magnesium Stearate, Maize Starch, Silicon Dioxide, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Stearic Acid.
- Coating: Acacia (Spray-dried), Calcium Carbonate (Light), Carnauba Wax, Mastercote White SP0950G, Talc, Shellac Varnish, Sucrose, Titanium Dioxide E171, Yellow Beeswax.
Types of Kalms
There are 4 known types of Kalms.
The first two are intended for anxiety during the day, and night versions to help with sleeping problems according to Nosleeplessnights.com:
1. Kalms tablets (Kalms Day)
These can be used during the day to help people with mild anxiety symptom relief.
It is recommended to take two tablets, three times a day. The ingredients are valerian and hops.
They used to contain gentian, but that was removed.
2. Kalms Lavender
Research has been focusing efforts on showing how Lavender has sedative properties that can help reduce anxiety and stress.
Kalms Lavender is a capsule containing lavender oil 80 mg, intended to help with anxiety.
3. Kalms Night
Kalms night are intended to be used during the night to help you sleep. You take four tablets one hour before going to sleep.
Each pill contains valerian root extract 96 mg, so you can take less than four if you prefer.
4. Kalms One-A-Night
Rather than having the option to take less if needed, Kalms One-A-Night is a single pill at a stronger dosage of valerian extract 385 mg.
Reviews on Kalms
If you are considering taking Kalms, then these reviews from Nosleeplessnights.com may be useful.
“I find that they tend to work well as long as I’m actually ready to sleep soon after I take them- if I stay awake for any more than an hour after I take one (and therefore it’s past when it would normally work) I CAN’T sleep. They’ve definitely made a difference, its not like with prescribed ones where you just get knocked out but if you work with them they’re really helpful. That said, I take them with my bedtime dose of 40mg propranolol for anxiety so perhaps that has something to do with it (although I also take 40mg of propranolol in the morning). Either way, I’ve been taking them for about a month and a half and I don’t see any changes to that in the near future. I like that they’re safe to use for longer periods of time and also that they won’t kill me when combined with my medication, which is always handy.”
“I haven’t been able to sleep well at night and then end up exhausted and drained during the day at work. I have been using the Kalms one a night tablet for the past few nights and I have to say they have worked really well for me!! I manage to get a good 8hrs solid sleep and don’t wake up at all during the night which is a first for me.”
Thanks for sharing your experience. I imagine it was great to get some decent sleep again. I hope you manage to get on top of the sleep problems without needing to take the Kalms long-term.
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
Why is this blog about Kalms tablets and high blood pressure important?
Stress and anxiety are very common problems and we tend to look for medicine, supplement or herbs that can help us reduce them.
You can check out the Best Natural Herbs for Anxiety.
As we discussed, Kalms tablets have valerian root as one of the main components which has been associated with having a relaxing effect which in term relieves stress and anxiety symptoms, sleep disturbances and symptoms related to menopause.
This is a very good and natural option, however, there are some things that need to be considered before taking this medication.
Always talk to your doctor and ask for medical advice before starting the medicine.
Please feel free to comment in the comments section below!
What we recommend for curbing Anxiety
Below are some of the services and products we recommend for anxiety
- Online therapy is another thing we should all try. We highly recommend Online therapy with a provider who not only provides therapy but a complete mental health toolbox to help your wellness.
- Anxiety Weighted Blankets are by far the number 1 thing every person who suffers from anxiety should at least try. Anxiety Blankets may improve your sleep, allow you to fall asleep faster and you can even carry them around when chilling at home.
- Amber light therapy from Amber lights could increase the melatonin production in your body and help you sleep better at night. An Amber light lamp helps reduce the amount of time it takes you to fall asleep and increases overall sleep quality.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Kalms tablets and high blood pressure
Can kalms help with high blood pressure?
Anxiety has been associated with high blood pressure and valerian root could be used to produce a gentle lowering effect on high blood pressure that usually comes with stress.
Does Valerian raise blood pressure?
On the contrary, some research suggested that taking Valerian for 7 days before a stressful event, could help reduce blood pressure, heart palpitations, and feeling of being under stress.
What are the side effects of Kalms tablets?
Common side effects associated with Valerian root use include headaches, upset stomach, focus and thinking problems, dry mouth, feelings of uneasiness and daytime drowsiness.
Can stress and anxiety cause high blood pressure?
Stress and anxiety can cause your blood pressure to temporarily rise.
What is the best natural sleep aid?
There are several natural sleeping aids such as melatonin, valerian root, magnesium, lavender, passionflower or glycine.
Amazon.co.uk: Kalms Tablets