Is Massage Therapy a good career?
This blog post will answer “Is Massage Therapy a good career?” We will also be talking about it’s benefits and drawbacks as well.
Is Massage Therapy a good career?
Yes. Massage Therapy is a good career. This is a career that offers many benefits. If you’re interested in working in the health and wellness profession, then massage therapy can be the perfect career option for you.
Massage therapy is a fast growing profession and massage therapists are very much in demand. This is also a rewarding and low stress career field. It also provides great income, flexible work schedule, opportunity for growth and the training is also quick and inexpensive.
Massage therapy, along with other physical therapies are considered as some of the ancient healing methods. These natural therapies have been around on earth since a very long time. Research also indicates that massage can be beneficial for people with conditions like, back pain, headache, anxiety or a recovery from an injury. Even physicians sometimes recommend this therapy to their patients to promote their well being.
Employment of massage therapists has also been growing rapidly. The demand for massage therapists is very high in the health and wellness sector. With each passing day, massage therapy has been getting recognized and accepted by people for treating pain and improving their wellness. There has also been an increase in the number of massage clinics in recent years.
Reasons why Massage Therapy is a good career
- Fast Growth Profession – The massage therapy field is growing very fast and isn’t going to slow down anytime soon. The alternative healthcare sector is rapidly growing day by day, as people are getting more aware to incorporate such therapy in their life to prevent illnesses.
According to US Bureau of labor statistics, employment of massage therapists is expected to grow 32% from 2020 to 2030. This is higher than any other occupation. A career which is high in demand and growing at such a fast pace, can be considered a very good career.
- Flexible work Schedule – Massage Therapy can be an excellent career option for people who don’t want that typical 9 to 5 office job. Although some massage therapists work full time as well from Monday to Friday, it depends on the place they’re working at.
Mostly, they work part-time and for a maximum thirty hours per week. Massage therapists can work as an employee or as an independent practitioner and the setting they work in, is also flexible.
- High demand for Massage therapists – Massage therapists are very high in demand as it’s a very fast growing career. The unemployment rate is also very less for massage therapists, according to a US news report. After graduating from massage school and getting the license, individuals can find this job at the earliest.
There are many reasons why massage therapy is high in demand. Massage is popular for promoting good health and well being. Therapeutic massage has also been accepted as an effective form of treatment for various health issues.
- Career Growth – Massage therapy also promotes growth in your career. You can take additional training to specialize in a particular massage. There are many types of massages, such as sports massage, lymphatic massage, pregnancy massage, medical massage, shiatsu, thai massage, etc.
Massage therapists who specialize in a particular massage therapy, can charge a high amount for their sessions. The competition is also low because only few massage therapists provide such specialized services. Some therapists can also opt to teach massage therapies at any massage school.
- Suitable for Entrepreneurs – Massage Therapy is also an excellent career for individuals who have a business mindset and like freedom and autonomy in their work. You can make your own decisions and organize your plans according to your preferences. A study indicates that seventy nine percent of massage therapists are self employed.
Massage Therapy can be an ideal business for an entrepreneur. The cost to start this business is low, you don’t have to hire any employees and there are no files to manage. You can be your own boss and have complete freedom in making your own decisions.
- Great Income potential – A job with a good income is desirable by everyone. Working as a massage therapist can provide us with a very good income as this is a rewarding field. However, there are certain factors that can affect this income as a massage therapist.
According to an American Massage Therapy Association survey, massage therapists charge an average of $75.23 for a one hour massage. Therapists can also increase their income by giving a specialized form of massage such as aromatherapy.
- Healthy career and work atmosphere – In massage therapy, the environment is calm, soothing and relaxing. You will also become strong and be in good shape as massage therapists stay on their feet most of the time. The work environment is also safe as it requires gentle activity, whereas in some other careers, the work environment can be risky and harmful.
A Massage therapist is not exposed to stressful situations and harmful chemicals. They also do not have to sit for longer durations (which can cause various health issues) or lift heavy things.
- Training is affordable and fast – A massage therapy program is short in duration and quite affordable as well. This program also has very little entrance requirements. Students can complete massage therapy training, pass the related exam and start working in six to twelve months. Massage schools also provide a full time or part time option according to student’s preference.
- Fun and low stress career – In massage therapy program, the courses taught and therapy techniques taught, create personal development and growth of the student. This can ultimately lead to more happiness and joy, self discipline, less internal disputes and more benefits. In massage therapy school, the skills and concepts taught will also be valuable to the student’s other aspects of life.
This career is also a low stress job. In other professions, people work at a fast pace, whereas in this profession, therapists work at a slow pace. The environment is also designed in a way to reduce anxiety and stress. This can be a perfect career option for people who don’t want to stress out from their jobs.
What is Massage Therapy?
In Massage Therapy, therapists press, rub or manipulate the soft tissues and muscles of the body. They mostly use their hands and fingers but may also use their elbows, forearm or feet if required. The therapist uses circular movements, strokes, tapping and kneading movements.
Massage Therapy is used to treat various health related concerns such as relieving pain, reducing stress, helps in sports injuries, reduces anxiety and increases relaxation and overall wellness. Massage therapists can work in hospitals, private offices, fitness facilities, chiropractic or integrated healthcare clinics, etc. If required, they can also travel to client’s homes to provide massages.
Massage Therapists work environment also depends on the place where their massage is taking place. To help the client relax during the massage, the place is dimly lit, candles, scented sticks are placed and calm music is played. The therapists try to provide a calm and soothing environment to their clients.
When is Massage Therapy used?
Massage therapy is used to treat various health conditions such as:
- Body Pain
- Sports injury
- Reducing stress
- Addressing anxiety and depression
- Promoting wellness
Massage Therapists also talk to clients about their medical history, symptoms and their expected results from the therapy. After that, the therapists decide what type of massage they should give. There are different types of massages according to the client’s physical condition.
Although scientific research on effectiveness of massage therapy is limited, there is evidence that it has been beneficial in treating certain health conditions.
Risks and Drawbacks of Massage Therapy
If massage therapy is performed by a trained and experienced therapist and the necessary precautions are taken, the risks are less. Some side effects of Massage Therapy include swelling, bruising, temporary pain or uneasiness and an allergy to massage oil or gel.
Some cautions have to be kept in mind before performing massage therapy. Massage should not be done on any area of the body with fractures, skin infection, open or healing wound, blood clots or weakened bones. People with bleeding disorders or a tumor should also avoid massage therapy. It should not be used as a replacement for regular medical care.
Individuals should always consult their health care provider before going for massage therapy as they might be having a medical condition and might be at risk.
Just like every other profession, massage therapy also has its set of drawbacks. Some therapists can suffer burnout by continuous therapy sessions, because this is a physically demanding job. If an individual is not comfortable touching people, then this is not the suitable profession for them. Another drawback is that the income is inconsistent as there’s no fixed salary and the income also depends on various factors.
In this blog post, we discussed “Is Massage Therapy a good career?” Yes, it is indeed a very good career. This is a growing career field, where massage therapists are very high in demand. It also provides opportunity for growth, good income, flexible work schedule, has a low stress environment and many more benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ): Is Massage therapy a good career?
Is it worth becoming a massage therapist?
Yes, it is indeed worth it to be a massage therapist. If you’re someone who loves helping people and making their lives better, then you will enjoy being a massage therapist. This career comes with many benefits like good income, low stress environment, flexible work schedule and many more.
Is massage therapy high in demand?
Yes, the demand for massage therapy is high. From hospitals and healthcare clinics to spas and gyms, everyone has been hiring massage therapists. Massage is popular for promoting good health and well being. Therapeutic massage has also been accepted as an effective form of treatment for various health issues.
Do I need a degree to be a massage therapist?
A college degree is not mandatory to become a massage therapist. However, a certain amount of training is required to qualify for a licensure. There are many certificate and diploma programs that can train you in becoming a massage therapist.
What are the good qualities considered in hiring a massage therapist?
Massage therapists should have certain qualities such as:
- Good physical stamina
- Good communication skills
- Good decision making skills
- Good physical strength
What are the disadvantages of massage therapy?
Massage Therapy also have certain disadvantages such as:
- Muscle ache
- Lingering pain
Massage Therapist. Retrieved from https://www.truity.com/career-profile/massage-therapist
16 reasons why massage therapy is a great career. Retrieved from https://mblexguide.com/reasons-massage-therapy-great-career/
Is Massage Therapy a good career? https://www.naturalhealers.com/blog/is-massage-therapy-a-good-career/