What does it mean, ‘If you love someone, let them go’? (+7 Great benefits)
The current article will be looking at the meaning of the saying, ‘If you love someone, let them go’. We will also be discussing the benefits of letting go of someone you love. Furthermore, we will be going through various ways through which you can do this.
What does it mean, ‘If you love someone, let them go?’
‘If you love someone, let them go’ means that if you truly love someone, you need to simply let them walk out of the relationship. If they really cared about you, your partner would definitely come back.
Many relationship experts say that this is a huge test of if the relationship is meant for you and really works for both of you. At the same time, many experts feel that you need to put the most effort in the relationship to keep your partner with you.
The saying, ‘If you love someone, let them go’ does not only refer to ending the relationship, but can also refer to not keeping a tight rein on your partner during the period of your relationship. When there is freedom, both the partners will experience growth and development.
However, many people are afraid of allowing their partners to be completely free in the relationship due to many reasons, of which fears of cheating tops the list. This can lead to trust issues and more problems between the two partners in the relationship.
Benefits of ‘Letting them go’
While the saying ‘If you love someone, let them go’ may be hard for many people to digest, it can bring numerous benefits to not only the relationship, but also to the individual partners who are involved. Some of the benefits of ‘letting them go’ have been discussed in this section.
It can be a test of love
The best thing about ‘Letting them go’ is that it can be a test of your love and the strength of the relationship that you share with your partner. If you and your partner’s love is indeed strong, it can stand any test, including this.
It teaches you more about love
‘Letting them go’ can also teach you more about love. This is not only for you, but even for your partner. Since you truly understand the role that your partner played in your life, you are bound to learn more about love and the uniqueness of the relationship that you shared.
It shows the partner’s priorities
Another important benefit of ‘letting them go’ is that you will truly learn more about your partner’s priorities. If your partner has prioritized you highly, they will come back almost immediately. However, if they don’t consider you important, they might not do so.
It brings you and your partner closer
You might have heard people say that ‘distance makes the heart grow fonder’. This is a very true saying. A little time apart can do you and your partner immense good. You might even find that the next phase of your relationship has become better than the previous one.
It gives both the partners more freedom
Many times conflicts happen in relationships, since the partners feel conflicted and constricted. However, when you let them go, your partner and even you will find a lot of freedom to pursue your own passions and dreams.
When both of you realize that you can have freedom as well as love in a relationship, it brings plenty of security and strength to develop your talents and follow your passions. This is another important meaning of the saying ‘If you love someone, let them go’.
It strengthens your maturity
Another great benefit of ‘letting them go’ is that you find yourself becoming more mature. When you change your perspective about the commitments of your relationship, it gives you a broader mindset and readiness to counter any type of challenge.
It can rejuvenate the relationship
If indeed you and your partner have broken up and then come back together, you might even find a fresh start for your relationship. You can both restart your relationship on a fresh note while using the best of your past experiences with each other.
How do you ‘Love someone and let them go?’
If you are confused about the saying ‘If you love someone, let them go’ but you want to try this to improve your relationship. This section of the post is for you. Here, we have outlined various ways through which you can easily let them go.
- Change your perspective of the relationship. The best thing to do if you want to let someone go is to simply change your perspective. You need to realize that even though you loved someone so passionately, you still don’t own them and don’t have control.
You only own your thoughts and have the ability to control your actions and responses. When you change your perspective about letting someone go, the process becomes a lot easier for you and you also develop a stronger mindset.
- Try the no-contact rule. If you are new to the whole breakup scene but want to make the best use of the time apart from your partner, you can try the no-contact rule. You can even block them on various social media platforms so that you get no news about them.
- Focus on yourself. At this time, it is important that you turn your attention and focus to yourself. Many times, we give it all we have in a relationship, and this can be quite tiring. This is the time for you to put yourself under the microscope and love yourself.
- Write down your thoughts in a journal. Another thing that can be quite helpful in letting someone go is to simply start journaling as an activity. When you start writing down your thoughts in a journal, you will be able to articulate your thinking process a bit more.
You will also be able to sort your thoughts in a better manner which can definitely relieve confusion. In addition to this, the process of journaling can be an extremely helpful venting process which does not involve or hurt anyone else.
- Try going to therapy. You can even try going to therapy when you are trying to let someone go. In therapy, you will learn plenty about yourself. You will also learn new cognitive strategies and exercises to help you effectively let your partner go.
- Start some forms of self-care. Self-care is not only important for your physical health but even your mental health. If you are already practicing self-care, you can even add another activity or try something new to serve as distraction during this confusing period.
You can even go completely out of your comfort zone and start learning a new hobby or class to improve your repertoire. In doing so, you will be able to boost your self-confidence and self-esteem. This may also help you in your career.
- Start planning for the future. One more mistake that we often make when we break up with someone is focus on the past. However, the process of letting someone go is all about focusing on the future. Start planning for the future and watch yourself grow.
The current article has looked at the meaning of the saying, ‘If you love someone, let them go’. We have also discussed the benefits of letting go of someone you love. Furthermore, we have gone through various ways through which you can do this.
If you like this article, please post your comments and questions in the space below.