How To Become A Therapist On Betterhelp?(A Complete Guide)
This article will look at how you can become a therapist at Betterhelp by explaining what the steps are to signing up and what Betterhelp looks for in therapists! Also, the article will explain what benefits therapists can get by working with Betterhelp but at the same time it will highlight what types of services they need to give to clients. For the understanding of the audience, the article will also introduce Betterhelp to the readers and explain what a good therapist is!
How To Become A Therapist On Betterhelp?
You can become a therapist on Betterhelp by signing up on their website. There are a number of steps involved but we will list a few here so you have an idea of the sign up process!
Take a look at the steps involved:
- Choose Your License Type
- Fill Out The Questionnaire
- Provide Your Details
- Other Steps
We will take a look at these steps in detail.
Choose Your License
- In this step you need to choose the type of license you possess. The website does allow you to choose more than one option. The options that are present here include:
- Clinical Social Worker (LCSW, LICSW, LISW, LICSW, etc.)
- Marriage and Family therapist (LMFT, LCMFT, LIMFT, etc.)
- Mental Health Counselor (LMHC, LCMHC, LMHP, LPMHC, etc.)
- Professional Counselor (LPC, LPCC, LCPC, etc)
This is necessary so that the website knows what type of questions they need to ask you and what documentation to ask for from you. It will also allow them to determine where to place you and keep a record of what type of service providers are on board.
Fill Out The Questionnaire
This is an interesting stage of the sign up process where they ask you a number of questions to see how much time you can alot for this job. The site is also curious to see what you are currently engaged in. Questions they ask include the following:
- Where do you spend most of your time (work related)?
- How much of your time is spent on billing?
- What makes you most interested in betterhelp?
- How much time do you intend to spend with Betterhelp clients?
- How did you hear about us?
It is necessary to ask these questions because they will be able to know what type of work you are looking for or how much time you can commit to the job and the clients of Betterhelp.
Provide Your Details
Here the website asks for your full name – first and last name – your email ID and the state you have a license in. This will not only help the cross verify information you provide them with but it will allow them to update their records if you join their platform to provide mental health services to their clients.
The Requirements – Therapists At Betterhelp
What does it take for a person to be a qualified therapist at the mental health platform – Betterhelp? There are a number of things a therapist needs to make sure they have before they can apply for and expect to be offered a job on this platform.
Here is the list of requirements to become a therapist at Betterhelp:
- Excellent Writing Skills
- Reliable Internet Connection
- Currently Residing In The USA
To work as a therapist or any type of service provider you need to be licensed by a state board and possess credentials like LCSW, LMFT, LPC or PsyD. It is necessary to have some sort of recognized credential to provide counseling services online to BetterHelps clients.
As a therapist you need to have around 3 years of experience with 1000 hours of hands on work to apply and be accepted as a qualified therapist at Betterhelp. This is to ensure that you have the knowledge, skills and experience to work with clients from across the globe and present them with the best of services according to their situation and requirements.
Excellent Writing Skills.
Betterhelp also requires that their service providers have excellent writing skills. They need to be well versed in the English language and be able to write well and articulate speech clearly.
Reliable Internet Connection
This is a must because service providers have to interact over the internet with their clients. They need to engage in multiple services like chat rooms and video calls hence they need a good internet connection or it can badly affect the quality of services being provided to the client.
Currently Residing In The USA
At the moment Betterhelp only recruits service providers who are residing in the country for unknown reasons but this could be because of the ease in verifying their information, reaching out to them easily and following any policies of the country. For example, SpaceX can only hire Americans – not because they do not recognize other nationalities but because of government policy.
The Services A Therapist Provides – The Betterhelp Experience
There are a number of services therapists at Betterhelp need to provide. They can be in the form of chatting with clients, calling them up or having personalized 1 to 1 sessions. Let’s take a look in detail:
- Chatrooms: These services are available to a client 24/7 and they will drop you a message whenever they feel like it. They can share a problem with you, get your opinion or just express how they feel. Although you don’t have to be there all day long, it is good you address their queries 2-3 times a day.
- Live Chatting Sessions: Even though you are a counselor, you need to possess basic management skills. Your clients may want to chat with you in real time so they will ask when you are available. Plan well and give your clients the time and attention they need.
- Phone Sessions: You won’t be able to see your clients contact details but they can call you through the system during a scheduled session. This option is available for clients who want to talk about their problems and not just chat.
- Video Sessions: These are more personalized, intimate, one to one sessions where clients want a real touch of therapy. You, as a counselor, need to be prepared to cater to their needs.
What Makes A Good Therapist?
A good therapist is not someone you come across easily. Just because you have the knowledge or skills or possibly even the experience does not necessarily make you a good therapist. You need to possess a certain personality and skill set to nail the job. For our viewers understanding we have listed some traits of the ideal therapist:
- Empathy: The therapist needs to feel and experience the pain or problems of the client and not just sympathize
- Communication: It can be tough conversing with someone who is quiet – while many will get frustrated the ideal therapist will be patient and ensure they give the client the time they need to open up.
- Listening: Ever been around those people who have a habit of interrupting you or those television hosts and interviewers who talk so much that they purpose of inviting the guest basically dies. Let the client talk and restate what they say so they are confident you are listening to them.
- Organization: An important trait therapists must have especially since there is so much disorganization in some manner or the other in the clients life.
Do you think you have the skills it takes to become a good therapist at Betterhelp? Well what are you waiting for? Sign up today and contribute to the world of mental health.
What Is Betterhelp – A Platform For Therapists & Clients
Betterhelp is one of the largest online platforms that provides multiple services for all types of people who are suffering from mental health problems and require counseling.
Members and clients do not have to go anywhere but can sit at home and avail a multitude of services that are affiliated with this online platform. Hence they avoid traveling, save time and can avail services keeping in mind their limitations caused by their mental health problems; sometimes people are not in the condition to go outside the house for therapy or counseling, they need services at home!
With around 1700 licensed professionals onboard, more than 900,000 clients and having conducted at least 70 million sessions online, it would be insufficient to say it is just one of those online platforms that provide mental health services! The best thing about Betterhelp is that it is available to all people regardless of their background and ensures people can choose the medium of communication that is most appropriate for them such as chatting, calls or video sessions with their counselors.
Betterhelp is a great platform where you cannot only become a therapist but sign up as a therapist too! Click here to get more details.
This article looked at how someone can sign up as a therapist at Betterhelp while keeping in mind what qualifications they must have and the skill set, experience and other necessary requirements they must possess to be eligible for this position. The article also explained what a good therapist is and introduced the online company to the viewers.