In this article, we will explain how long the BetterHelp sessions are. We will also be describing what you can expect from your first therapy session and the various types of therapies that are available in the market today. In addition to this, we shall also be discussing some of the best features of BetterHelp.
How long are BetterHelp sessions?
The live sessions in BetterHelp go on for a minimum of 30 minutes. However, the session can extend up to an hour or so depending on the availability of the therapist or the counselor. The messaging format of therapy is unlimited, which means you can message your therapist at any point of the day and this can go on for the entire length of your subscription.
What to expect from your first therapy session?
While it is amazing that you have finally decided to go to therapy, it still can be intimidating or sometimes even overwhelming to think about what your first session will look like. In this section, we will walk you through the various things that might occur in your first therapy session so that you are better prepared for it.
- It is advisable that you get to your therapist’s office a little earlier so that you have time for filling out other details as part of the process
- You will be asked to fill out some paperwork such as insurance information, your medical history or even HIPAA forms
- These might not be applicable if you are using an online therapy platform like BetterHelp or Talkspace since the platform takes care of all this for you and for the therapist.
- Once you are done with your paperwork, you will meet your therapist for the first session which is more like an evaluation session
- The therapist will ask you about your symptoms and the main reason why you have to come therapy
- They will ask you about what you feel is going wrong in your life. It is important that you be as open and honest as possible with your therapist so that they can help you
- Your therapist will ask you certain details about your childhood, your family, your relationships, your work and others. It is basically an interview so that there is better rapport between you and your therapist
- Once they have completed the interview, the therapist will then discuss the various modes of treatment and what they think is best for you. They will also explain the process as well as let you know the time frame for your intervention
- Most importantly, they will explain the various factors of confidentiality and privacy
- It is important that you ask the right questions and clear doubts right away so that both you and your therapist are on the same page
· While many individuals stick with the therapist for some time, this may not always happen. The therapist might not be a match for you right from the start. In this case, don’t worry; there are always plenty of options. You can still keep looking until you find the right mental health professional for your personality and your preferences.
Types of therapies
There are various types of therapies and therapists out there which you need to be familiar with. Psychology and psychotherapy are broad terms and have evolved from different schools of thought and cater to various mental needs and requirements. The most common types of therapies that you might come across are described as follows:
- Psychodynamic therapy: This is perhaps the oldest form of psychotherapy and has been derived from the psychoanalytic school of thought.
- CBT: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or CBT aims to change wrong thought processes and replace them with constructive and rational ones.
- Behavioral therapy: In Behavioral Therapy, the aim is to bring out new actions or behaviors from the client in order to affect the maladaptive thought processes.
- DBT: Dialectical Behavior Therapy works very well for high risk clients and uses coping behaviors and strategies to get through their trauma.
- Person-centered: Person-centered therapy focuses on using the client’s own personality and understanding to bring self-acceptance and self-growth.
- Group therapy: Group Therapy can be either support groups or interventional groups where the social component plays an important role in the therapy
Best features of BetterHelp
BetterHelp, the online therapy platform, brings plenty of advantages to its users which make it highly appealing and beneficial for anyone who is experiencing mental health problems. Some of the best features of this platform are:
- Highly cost-effective and very affordable online therapy sessions which can work great for anyone
- Financial aid and concessions for those who cannot afford the plans of BetterHelp
- Large network of therapists who bring about a better client-therapist fit
- Several forms of therapy, such as messaging therapy, audio sessions and video sessions
- Complete HIPAA compliance ensuring high levels of security and privacy to the users
- Digital worksheets and journals that can be beneficial to both the therapist and the client
- Complete accessibility through any web browser or even through the BetterHelp app which can be installed on any smart device
In this article, we have explained how long the BetterHelp sessions are. We have also described what you can expect from your first therapy session and the various types of therapies that are available in the market today. In addition to this, we have also described some of the best features of BetterHelp.
If you like this article, please post your comments and questions below.