How do I create dependencies on monday.com? (+7 project management features)
This post will explain how you can create dependencies on monday.com. We will be listing the various steps involved in this process. We will also be looking at some of the project management features in monday.com and discuss some of the other apps that can be used for project management purposes.
How do I create dependencies on monday.com?
You can create dependencies in monday.com by following the steps which can have been described below:
- You will first need to add the dependency column in monday.com. To do this you can click on the ‘+’ icon that is present on the right of your last column. In the options that open up, choose ‘More columns’.
Picture credit: monday.com
- This will open the Column Center from where you can add the Dependency Column. You can also find it by searching in the search bar.
- Once you have added this column, you will be prompted to choose the type of time column that you want your tasks to be dependent on. You can either choose the Date column or the Timeline column according to your needs and preferences.
- You can then click on ‘Connect columns’. You can see a ‘link’ icon next to the name of the column that indicates that the connection has been successful.
- In order to set the items for the dependencies, you will need to click a cell in the Dependency column. This will open a menu from which you can choose the item that you want it connected to.
- As soon as you have added the Dependency column, monday.com will immediately add an automation to your board. This means that the dependent item will never start before the original item has been completed.
- You can also customize these automations by choosing an alternative recipe in the Automations Center.
Project management features in monday.com
monday.com is used for project management and many other needs and purposes. Some of the project management features in monday.com are described in this section:
The platform provides multiple avenues for communication and collaboration between team members. The collaboration can also take place both synchronously and asynchronously. Although monday.com does not have a chat app option, teams can easily communicate through board comments, updates section and through @mentions.
Integrations are necessary for teams as they work with multiple project tools and collaboration apps at the same time. The platform offers more than 40 integrations that can be found in its Integrations Center. The most popular integrations that users set up are Slack, Zoom, Gmail, Outlook, Mailchimp and Zendesk among many others.
Automations are preferred by teams as they shave off a lot of the workload. These automations can easily help teams focus more on constructive and creative tasks while leaving the mundane repetitive tasks to the platform. monday.com not only allows plenty of automations but also has several recipes that users can utilize.
Ready to use templates
Templates can save teams, time as well as effort. monday.com has an extensive collection of ready to use templates that team members can use for a wide array of tasks and assignments. Furthermore, the platform also allows users to create their own templates and use it among their team members for various work processes.
Teams require multiple perspectives and views on the information and data as this helps them make better decisions and also solve problems in an efficient manner. monday.com offers teams several views that can help them view their boards in different lights. Teams can opt to see their boards through Gantt charts, Kanban boards, Timelines and even Calendars.
The platform is tremendously easy to use. Not only is it visually pleasing due to the wise use of vibrant and fun colors, but is also quite visible. Users can easily access the features and gimmicks in this platform as they are intuitively placed. This high visibility and ease of use makes monday.com the go-to project management tool for many teams.
The creators of monday.com understand the high need for accessibility today. Teams may work from various parts of the world and they need continuous and easy access to their workspaces and work files. To help teams face this, monday.com can be easy used in any web browser, downloaded as a desktop app and even used as a mobile app.
Alternative project management apps
Two of the other project management apps that have features similar to monday.com are discussed below:
This is a relatively new project management system that is already creating waves among companies and teams. Through this tool, managers can easily delegate and track tasks. The app also has features that encourage and improve the process of collaboration among teams.
This is another highly popular tool that is purposed for way more than just creating Gantt charts. This tool is extremely lightweight and flexible to use. The navigation uses a simple drag and drop method which makes it relatively a breeze for small and large teams alike.
This post has explained how you can create dependencies on monday.com. We have listed the various steps involved in this process. We have also looked at some of the project management features in monday.com and discussed some of the other apps that can be used for project management purposes.
If you like this post, please leave your comments and questions below.
Everything you need to know about task dependencies