How do I create a monday.com Gantt chart? (+9 tips)
This post shall discuss how you can create a monday.com Gantt chart. We will be listing the different steps involved in this process. We shall also be looking at the advantages of using a Gantt chart and some tips teams can use when they are creating Gantt charts. monday.com provides teams with many features that can teams work smarter and more efficiently.
How do I create a monday.com Gantt chart?
In order to create a monday.com Gantt chart, you will need to follows these steps described below:
- You will need to first ensure that your board has the right columns for the Gantt chart. The most important are the Timeline column and the Dependency column.
- You can also add the People column and the Status column to make your Gantt chart even more effective.
- Once your data has been incorporated, all you need to do is to add the Gantt view to your board. You will find an option for ‘Add View’ at the upper left part of your board. Click this and from the resulting menu, choose ‘Gantt’.
Picture credit: monday.com
- You can also choose to make the Gantt View your default view if you wish by using the options in the three dot menu located at the right of your Gantt View title.
- Now you can go ahead and customize this view as per your needs and requirements. Click on the cogwheel icon at the upper right part of your board. This will open the Gantt View settings.
- Once you have added your column types and groups, you can also make use of colors for better visibility in your Gantt chart.
- To make work processes even clearer for teams, you can make use of the task dependencies that monday.com offers in its Gantt charts.
Advantages of using a Gantt chart
Gantt charts can bring teams a lot of advantages and hence they are quite popular, especially among large teams who are working with multiple projects simultaneously. Some of these advantages are listed below:
It can bring team members to the same page
Leaders and managers can struggle often to bring team members on the same page. However, this is highly necessary for teams as it ensures lesser disruptions in the work processes and workflows. Gantt charts help teams get clear overviews of the projects easily and thus the team members work together toward the shared goal with better coordination and productivity.
Progress can be easily tracked
Teams can have fluctuations in their work progress and decrease in speeds of working can be affordable for organizations, as it can cause deadlines and milestones to be missed. With the help of Gantt charts, managers can easily track the progress of teams and also use this information for payroll or performance review purposes.
Dependencies can guide work processes
Work processes have multiple tasks and assignments. It also becomes necessary for teams to complete certain tasks before starting others. Otherwise, it can disturb the work flow. For teams to understand this better, task dependencies can be set up in Gantt charts using project management systems, so that only when one task is completed can another one be started.
Productivity is increased
Productivity and work efficiency depends on many factors. One of them is the right access to information and awareness of the progress of other team members. Since Gantt charts provide plenty of information about the project and also individual roles and responsibilities, teams work with better productivity and work efficiency.
Balancing several projects becomes easier
Teams rarely work on only one project. Usually there are multiple projects and assignments that require constant focus and attention. Multitasking is important but needs extra help for attention to be distributed equally. Gantt charts can provide help for teams who work on multiple projects at the same time, helping them achieve deadlines and milestones on time.
Resource allocation is better
Resources need to be shared among teams so that they are used efficiently and effectively. However, leaders and managers can get confused about allocating the right resources at the right time for teams and team members. Gantt charts can help managers distribute resources and tools in a much better manner.
Tips for creating better Gantt charts
Gantt charts can be tricky and even overwhelming at times to create. Some tips that can help teams are mentioned below:
- Clearly understand the project goal and the deadline by which it should be reached
- Make it Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and set in a Time Frame
- Be aware of the critical path and check its feasibility
- Break the project down into small and measurable tasks
- Understand the order of tasks to set up task dependencies
- Delegate responsibilities and roles keeping in mind qualifications, expertise and also personalities of team members
- Incorporate the right collaboration tools for better communication and interaction
- Allocate resources and tools appropriately
- Set aside time to celebrate small successes and also for buffer time
This post has discussed how you can create a monday.com Gantt chart. We have listed the different steps involved in this process. We have also looked at the advantages of using a Gantt chart and some tips teams can use when they are creating Gantt charts.
If you like this post, please leave your comments and questions in the space below.