Gratitude is like most pleasing personality characteristics and traits in this personality is generally not sufficient to simply make a decision to be grateful; we must keenly practice it to make stronger its position in our lives.
In this article, we will discuss the gratitude journal template.
Gratitude Journal Template:
A gratitude journal template is, to some extent, a tool to keep track of the good things that happen in life.
No matter how complicated and defeating life can sometimes feel, there is always something to feel grateful for.
As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them. – John F. Kennedy
It’s very simple to start: just write down or type the things you are grateful for every day.
You can draw and write in a journal, diary, notebook, or just a piece of paper.
If you are devoted to being green or just find it easier to do things electronically, you can utilize one of the many gratitude apps or even a simple word document.
When you have your journal ready, simply start note down the things you are grateful for.
Advantages of a Gratitude Journal Template:
We have already written about the advantages of a regular gratitude practice, but here are a few advantages people have observed when practicing gratitude journaling in particular:
- Gratitude journals, like many gratitude exercises, can lower your stress levels.
- It can help you feel calm at night.
- Gratitude journal template can give you a new perception on what is significant to you and what you really are grateful for in your life.
- By noting down what you are grateful for, you can grow clarity on what you want to have more of in your life, and what you can do without.
- Gratitude journal template can help you discover and emphasize on what really matters to you.
- Keeping a gratitude journal template helps you learn more about you and become more self-aware.
- Your gratitude journal is for only your eyes, so you can write anything you feel without worrying about the verdict from others.
- On days when you feel down, you can read through your gratitude journal to readjust your thoughts and feelings and remember all the good things in your life (Jessen, 2015).
Ideas for Writing your Gratitude Journal Template:
Your gratitude journal template is a personal effort that must be exclusive to you and your life.
No one can let you know what makes the scratch for you and your fussy circumstances, but there are some suggestions that may help if you’re struggling in the start.
Brianna Steinhilber of everup.com planned a list of 20 gratitude prompts that can get you writing about all the gears you have to be grateful for.
If you are jammed at the start, at least a few of these cues should be able to kick start your gratitude inspiration:
- List five little habits that you can contribute to your gratitude today.
- Write about an individual in your life that you are particularly grateful for and why.
- What expertise or talents are you grateful to have?
- What about the challenges you are practicing right now that you can be thankful for?
- Where you are in life today unlike a year ago and what constructive alterations are you thankful for?
- What tricks and leisure pursuits would you miss if you were not capable of doing them?
- List five body features that you are thankful for and why.
- Are you grateful for the city you live in and why?
- What are you taking for granted about your day to day routine?
- List five people in your life who are tough to get along with and why?
- What worldly items are you most thankful for?
- Write about the music you are thankful to why?
- Who has done a little something this week to make your life easier?
- What foods or feasts are you most grateful for?
- What essentials of nature are you thankful for and why?
- What part of your morning custom are you most grateful for?
- Write a letter to someone who has optimistically influenced your life.
- What is something you are thankful to have well-read this week?
- When was the last time you laughed nonstop, relive that memory.
- What features of your work environment are you grateful for (Steinhilber, 2015)?
People to write about:
- A person you haven’t spoken to
- Those who live far away
- Your kid’s tutor
- Your co-worker
- Someone you have a tough time getting all along with
- A musician, author or artist whose work, on the whole, encourages you
- A stranger who cheered you up
Things to write about:
- You use daily
- Your morning coffee
- Tricks or hobbies you enjoy
- Your job
- Your favorite food
- Your sense of smell, sight, taste, etc.
Places to write about:
- Your desk at work
- Your favorite store
- The city you live in
- Your neighborhood playground
- Your favorite holiday target
- Your hometown
- Your bed
Ideas to write about:
- A family custom
- A childish instant
- A great effort you are facing
- A new alteration in your life
- A current achievement
- The existing season
- Something impressive you learned newly
How to Make a Gratitude Journal Template:
- Selection of what kind of Journal.
Before you start to write a gratitude journal template, anything you are thankful for like about the day or simply life, decide first where you would want to write it about?
You could go conventional by lettering your feelings and thoughts on a notebook or an exact journal, or you can type it down and save a file on your laptop.
Moreover, the important object is that you identify where you are content in writing.
At this moment that you have chosen which possibility to write your beliefs and thoughts on gratitude on, it is now time to replicate or reflect.
By reflecting means you have to think of the things you are thankful for before you write it down and find out the reason why you are grateful for this.
It is compulsory to assemble your thoughts first.
Once you have assembled your thoughts or feelings, you will notice that you can write down what you would like to say exactly without hesitating too much to include in your gratitude journal template.
- Start off with a limit:
By limiting means that you should start thinking about how many things and people you are going to thank on a particular day.
You can set a target that you would write 3-4 things to be grateful for today and boost the number by the next day.
But since life is flexible, you can also be flexible by writing down all the things you are grateful for the day.
Just keep in mind the cheerful emotions you have encountered and that can provide something you can write about in your gratitude journal template.
- Be Specific:
People frequently ask what it takes to be a good writer.
One can be if he/she is precise with his/her words on a particular subject matter and would stay away from oversimplifying and over-explanation of the things to the point so that listening or reading it would get tedious and get on your nerves.
That is similar in the gratitude journal template you are going to write. You have to be Specific.
We are not saying that it is not acceptable if you would write “I’m glad and grateful for my hard work today.” that is totally fine.
What we are just trying to spot is that you may explain why and what were the hard works that you did in a way in which it would not be as well a great deal.
- Practice Seeing the Positive in the Negatives:
You can use this in lettering your way in and can be a target on your approach to becoming a positive if done constantly.
You have to strive in considering the good instants or learning in a bad occurrence you have experienced in the day.
This might need you to write the terrible things that happened, but do keep in mind that no one will read it because it is your own personal journal and you have the right to show it or not.
There will always be cheerfulness in a tempestuous moment, you just have to discover it and just the once you do, write about it.
The more you accomplish that; it will become the next character considering the optimism in everything.
Effect of Writing a Gratitude Journal Template:
As you start writing and gradually state your thankfulness to someone or something, and also see the positive side in all terrible occurrences, you would not observe at first the probable good effects that have approached upon you.
Here are the following effects of writing a gratitude journal template:
- It makes people like you:
Writing a gratitude journal template honestly makes people like you and who would not be grateful for a person who thanks you for the big and little things you do.
- It makes you happier:
Writing a gratitude journal template makes you really happy because there is always a sense of calmness when you notice the happy face of an important person after you are done saying thank you and making him feel that.
- It boosts the emotion:
The gratitude journal template honestly boosts the emotions.
Having a personality to be grateful lets us stay away from getting too stressed out because we would by then diminish our behavior to guilt and make us emotionally stable.
- It bounces back:
By means of having the ability to be grateful, it can also enhance our mood in times of distress and worry.
People who are more grateful have an improved positive coping way of life.
- Happy memories:
You start to be grateful for memories you never considered were that happy just the once you start appreciating all the things around you.
- You get to be more friendly:
People will recognize you as a friendly and welcoming person once you start thanking the big and little things in life.
This would direct you to have more real friends. Social maintenance is also one of the things that can make you happy.
These usually are the grounds why having that sort of approach, being thankful for things, can spin your pessimistic thinking into an optimistic one.
Make it a routine to start lettering every big or little thing that happens to you every day and that you are thankful for.
Being steady makes that performance a normal thing to do day by day. Do it.
Do not hang back if you really wish to modify your life around.
Go get that journal and write down the memories that you are grateful for and just carry on. Don’t stop.
Take that with you all through your life span.
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
FAQs about gratitude Journal Template
How often should you write in a gratitude journal?
15 minutes per day, at least once per week for at least two weeks.
Studies suggest that writing in a gratitude journal three times per week might actually have a greater impact on our happiness than journaling every day.
What does a gratitude journal look like?
Your journal may even become a symbol of gratitude so that when you just look at it, you will feel a sense of appreciation.
Write as many things as you want in your gratitude journal.
Writing down 5-10 things that you are grateful for each day is a good number to aim for.
Your gratitude journal doesn’t have to be deep.
Can gratitude change your life?
Gratitude can change your life because it makes you appreciate what you have rather than what you don’t have.
Gratitude can change your life because it is the single most powerful source of inspiration that any person can tap into if they simply just stop and pay attention to the simplistic beauty and miracle of life.
What should I do with old journals?
If you wrote them for therapeutic reasons, as a way to work through problems in your life, then go ahead and burn or shred and recycle them.
If you wrote them as messages to your future self, then keep them.
If you wrote them as a record that you were alive at that moment, then keep them.
- Gratitude Journal: A Collection of 67 Templates, Ideas, and Apps for Your Diary by Courtney E. Ackerman (2020)
- How To Start A Gratitude Journal You’ll Actually Keep by Shutterfly 2019
- 3+ Gratitude Journal Templates