In this comprehensive overview, we will be dealing with how to get rid of anxiety from Adderall. A brief detailing into the primary nature and features of the drug shall be followed by its usage for the treatment of ADHD, the causation of anxiety due to Adderall and effective coping strategies to deal with anxiety stemming from the usage of the drug.
Adderall refers to a combination drug and a type of stimulant which is mainly used for the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
How to get rid of anxiety from Adderall?
You can get rid of anxiety from Adderall by various techniques ranging from controlling the dosage level to the administration of behavioral therapies such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. There are certain verified and effective ways to get rid of anxiety developing from the use of Adderall.
Some tips to get rid of anxiety from Adderall are as follows:
- Contacting your concerned doctor to discuss the situation with him/her.
- Anti-anxiety medications such as Xanax and Diazepam
- sertraline and fluoxetine that are long term medication without addictive properties
- Cessation/regulation of the dosage of the drug.
- Refrain from use of other stimulants such as coffee and cigarettes.
- Activities that help calm down your brain such as breathing exercises and listening to calm music.
- Adderall addiction can cause severe symptoms of anxiety.This can be treated with the help of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
Adderall refers to a brand name for the combination of dextroamphetamine and amphetamine. It’s a prescription drug used primarily to treat ADHD or narcolepsy (daytime sleepiness). It falls under the category of drugs known as stimulants. Amphetamine and dextroamphetamine are stimulants of the central nervous system.
These drugs function by altering the natural substances in the brain that work on hyperactivity and impulse control. The medication enhances the effects of neurotransmitters such as dopamine and norepinephrine.
Adderall belongs to the category of Scheduled II under Drug Enforcement Administration, as they are considered dangerous and carries high risk of dependence and abuse.
Adderall is mainly used for the treatment of ADHD and certain sleep disorders such as narcolepsy. It largely helps in enhancing concentration and attention span by aiding you to stay focused on one particular activity of interest and in addition, increases your listening skills as well. Your ability to meticulously organize tasks is also enhanced with the usage of Adderall.
Adderall is also used for treating sleeping disorders such as narcolepsy in order to make you stay awake during the day. Sometimes, medical providers may prescribe it for unapproved, off-label uses to treat cases of depression, anxiety, bipolar depression and weight loss.
The consumption of Adderall comes with an array of side effects that can be categorized as short term and long term effects. The intensity of the side effects will vary with your physiology of the body and the amount of consumption of the drug.
The most common and recurring side effects of Adderall are as follows:
- Lack/loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Difficulties in sleeping
- Stomach pain
- Numb fingers
Usually the above mentioned side effects last only for a couple of days to a week and hence these come under the category of short- term effects. However, it’s highly advisable to contact your doctor or pharmacist in case of severe persistence and continuance of these symptoms.
Serious side effects and their corresponding symptoms are as follows:
- Heart issues including rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure, heart attack and stroke.
- Hallucinations in particular for those suffering from any kind of mental illness.
- Delusional thinking
- Increased aggressive behavior
- Persistent irritability and restlessness
- Eye problems such as blurred vision, dilation of pupils.
- Rhabdomyolysis (muscle breakdown)
- Skin disorders
- Anorexia (unwanted weight loss)
- Swelling of tongue, face or throat.
- Constricted blood vessels
- Slowed growth for children who consume Adderall.
Contact your doctor immediately, in case of occurrence of the above given symptoms. These symptoms require urgent attention as they are highly dangerous and can even turn out to be life threatening.
The dosage is in most cases decided by the doctor/pharmacist. The dosage depends upon a set of factors.
They include the type and severity of the condition you’re using Adderall for treatment, age, the form of Adderall prescribed and medical history.
Typically the dosage is started from a low level and adjusted over time to reach a level that’s appropriate for your therapeutic needs and response levels.
Whenever possible, the administration of the drug must be disturbed so as to determine the recurrence of behavioral symptoms sufficient to continue with the consumption of the drug.
Effect of Adderall on ADHD Patients:
Adderall being a stimulant drug is highly recommended for the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. It helps in the management of the following symptoms of ADHD:
- Lack of focus
- Excessive talking
Adderall mainly helps ADHD patients in calming down and enhancing their attention and concentration abilities.
The two main neurotransmitters important for the regulation of brain areas concerned with attention and executive function are dopamine and norepinephrine.
Stimulant drugs such as Adderall work by increasing the dopamine levels in the brain. This is achieved by slowing down the process of reabsorption of dopamine back into the neural network. Hence, it reduces ADHD symptoms in diagnosed patients. Amphetamine, which is a constituent of Adderall increases the amount of dopamine and norepinephrine from their storage sites into the synapses.
Adderall and the development of Anxiety:
The course of development:
Adderall leads to a boost in the general mood of an individual which makes them gain a feeling of ‘high’ while under the spell of the drug. This is followed by increased and rapid brain activity that could lead to development of anxiety.
However, in some cases Adderall causes anxiety in an indirect way. Since it increases the amount of neurotransmitters such as dopamine in the brain, some users may experience negative emotions and feelings as the effect of the drug wears off.
Further, withdrawal symptoms also contribute to increased anxiety due to diminished self-esteem. In case of development of addiction towards the drug, anxiety is bound to show up, in absence of the drug.
In worst scenarios, anxiety attacks can also occur persistently with associated physical symptoms. There are certain symptoms of anxiety that may show up which are as follows;
- Feeling on edge
- Excessive worrying
- Excessive fidgeting
- Increased nervousness
- Increased stress
- Inability to focus.
How to get rid of anxiety from Adderall? (Effective Coping Strategies)
There are various conscious and worked out methods to deal with anxiety stemming from consumption of Adderall. It depends on the intensity of the anxiety you experience and other physiological conditions.
- Contacting your concerned doctor to discuss the situation with him/her is one of the safest methods to proceed, initially. They help with providing reassured and appropriate ways to manage with anxiety.
- Anti-anxiety medications such as Xanax and valium are also recommended. However caution should be developed for avoiding addiction for the same. This method can be used in case of emergencies or when you cannot get through your doctor/pharmacist.
- Less addictive alternatives such as sertraline and fluoxetine are also available. These are long term medications sans addictive properties and also possess strong evidence for their positive effect on anxiety.
- Cessation of drug use is also another way to manage anxiety. However, this should be carefully used in case of addiction or abuse of the drug due to the high probability of occurrence of withdrawal symptoms that could lead to increased anxiety.
- Activities that help in relaxing your brain activity level such as breathing exercises, listening to calm music can help in managing anxiety to a great extent.
- Avoid the usage of other stimulant substances that could cause more trouble such as cigarettes and coffee.
- Adderall addiction can cause severe symptoms of anxiety over time and this can be treated with the help of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. With CBT, a therapist aids you in stopping the use of Adderall by making you aware of the roots of addiction and its consequences. This is mainly achieved through the process of cognitive restructuring.
With this understanding, strategies for long term sobriety develops gradually, as you learn to replace the need for drugs with positive alternatives. Unlearning destructive behaviors and learning healthy behaviors is a crucial step to reduce the symptoms of anxiety caused due to the use of Adderall.
Working with compassionate professionals in a caring and secure environment also helps in the smooth running of the process of recovery.
In this article, we briefly examined how to get rid of anxiety from Adderall by analyzing the nature of the drug, potential uses, and side effects and how it leads to the development of anxiety.
If you are looking for an alternative, review The Best Strains for ADHD and Anxiety.
FAQs: How to get rid of anxiety from Adderall?
How do you get ADHD medication to wear off?
ADHD medicines can energize you and disturb your normal sleep pattern. To avoid this, taking your medication earlier during the day helps as it wears off well before your bedtime.
Why do stimulants cause anxiety?
Stimulant drugs lead to anxiety, responsible both for the onset and exacerbation of anxiety as they cause rapid excitement of neurotransmitters in the brain.
Does Adderall get rid of anxiety?
No. Adderall does not get rid of anxiety. When the effects of Adderall wears off and the level of dopamine drops, the positive sides disappear and will be replaced by anxiety, depression and panic.
Does Adderall permanently change brain chemistry?
Yes, long term use of Adderall can cause serious side effects, including changes in how your brain produces neurotransmitters. These side effects are reversible by stopping the use of the drug.
Should I take Adderall if I have anxiety?
No. it’s not recommended to take Adderall if you suffer from anxiety as Adderall is a stimulant drug. It will end up making you feel more anxious. In case you suffer from panic disorder it will also increase the number of panic attacks you have.
Does Adderall affect you sexually?
Yes. Erectile Dysfunction is a potential side effect for men taking Adderall. Some men also complain about decreased interest in sexual activity and also in getting and keeping an erection. These problems further cause distress and embarrassment.
Adderall is sometimes prescribed as an off label treatment for depression for patients who suffer from the symptoms of depression in combination with ADHD. This is because stimulants are mood boosters for those experiencing depression.