In this article, we are going to discuss the pros and cons of Free online counselling chat 24/7.
You will also find everything about the most popular and easy to access online counselling platforms.
What are online counselling chats?
Online counselling chats are online forums, that can be accessed by someone who is looking for like-minded people to meet and discuss their issues and daily struggles.
There are numerous platforms, such as Free Text Counseling Services that offer Free online counselling chat 24/7 for issues such as depression, anxiety, career counselling, anger management, grief, relationship issues and more.
Is there a hidden cost?
There is no hidden cost, as most platforms offer this service for free.
If you are looking for online counselling and support, most websites will offer you the possibility to access either a Free online counselling chat 24/7 or to book an online therapy session with a licensed therapist.
Some platforms will charge you for specific services.
You will be notified what are the costs. You might even receive an offer as an annual subscription in order to have more benefits.
On Talkspace, a famous online counselling platform, for $99/week you get text, video & audio messaging + 4 Live Sessions/month. Your therapist responds to messages daily, 5 days/week.
However, most online counseling chats are free of charge.
We will give you a few options and examples from which you can choose what suits you best.
We will also clarify the differences between online counseling chat rooms and online therapy sessions.
is there any free online therapy?
Yes, there are various free online therapy solutions available depending on the country you currently live in.
Online counseling chat rooms versus Online therapy sessions
Many people are attracted to the idea of online counseling. There are lots of platforms that give you the opportunity to access a Free online counselling chat 24/7, for whatever your reasons are.
Maybe your anxiety won’t let you sleep, you had another fight with your partner, or perhaps you just had a bad day.
Why not access an online counseling chat room and speak to people with similar symptoms and that ultimately understand you the best?
Keep in mind, that chat rooms are not the same as online therapy for mental health. Online therapy (or online talk therapy) is a therapeutic session with a licensed counselor, psychologist or psychotherapist.
Online counseling chat rooms are forums where you connect with like-minded people, that may or not have any psychological background.
Counseling chat rooms are the best place to vent and talk with peers, and not all chat rooms are run by licensed mental health professionals. Confidentiality is not guaranteed in a chat room.
Chatting with members of an online support group might be good for your mental health, however, support groups are not therapists.
We will discuss more of this later at the Free online counselling chat 24/7 – Disadvantages section.
What is the best Free online counselling chat 24/7?
Depending on what your needs and expectations are, there are many platforms that offer Free online counselling chat 24/7 rooms.
We choose a few to talk about, some of them with millions of daily accesses. We will let you decide.
7 cups is an on-demand emotional health service and online therapy provider.
Anyone who wants to talk about whatever is on their mind can quickly reach out and will receive immediate support.
People connect with listeners on 7 Cups for all kinds of reasons, from how to get through depression symptoms to advise on how to meditate or do better at the workplace.
7 Cups listeners don’t judge or try to solve problems and say what to do. They just listen and do their best to understand.
What they offer is Free 24/7 Chat where you can talk with volunteer listeners or chat with others who are going through similar issues in a chat room.
You also have the option to talk to a licensed therapist, for $150 per month.
7 Cups also received the 2016 Stanford Medicine X award for excellence in Health Care Systems Design.
According to their statistics, since August 2013 7 Cups had:
- 322,350 listeners
- 1,167,440,706 messages sent
- 39,061,213 people helped
iPrevail is a wellness program that claims it’s as effective as in-person therapy.
If you want to be part of an iPrevail program, which is free of charge, by the way, there are three easy steps you need to follow.
- Take an assessment: an easy and intuitive process with research-based questions that cover many symptoms
- Start your program: a customized program with interactive tools and lessons, supportive peer coaching and progress assessments.
- Progress and help others: have access to more resources, additional programs, rewards, and benefits.
Of course, you don’t have to enrol in a program, and there is a Free online counselling chat 24/7 available as an option, also. iPrevail wellness chats where you can connect to a peer who can listen, and help you set goals and achieve them.
The good news is that they have a very secure platform and all their peers are vetted and approved by their team.
Below are some options where you do have to pay a fee but the level of care given can be greatly increased.
BetterHelp is the largest online counselling platform that can be accessed worldwide.
Their main goal is to change the way people get help with facing life’s challenges by providing convenient, discreet and affordable access to a licensed therapist.
BetterHelp makes professional counselling available anytime, anywhere, through a computer, tablet or smartphone.
The cost of counselling through BetterHelp ranges from $40 to $70 per week and it’s billed monthly.
They offer counselling for individuals, couples and teenagers. There is no free online counselling chat room available on BetterHelp.
An extensive study by the Berkeley Well-Being Institute found BetterHelp to be as effective as face-to-face counselling.
TalkSpace is yet another platform for online counselling that lets you connect with a licensed therapist, no matter where in the world you are.
With TalkSpace, you get unlimited messaging therapy, couples therapy, social media therapy and assessments at a significantly lower cost than the traditional in-person therapy.
Talkspace works with many employers, health plans, employee assistance programs (EAP), and educational organizations to make therapy available and affordable.
Their therapists are licensed and experienced mental health counselors with expertise in a range of issues such as depression, anxiety, substance abuse and more.
Talkspace online therapy is typically 80% less expensive than face-to-face therapy and there are several payment options to choose from.
Talkspace is a subscription therapy service. All of their subscriptions are automatically charged on a monthly basis.
- Unlimited Messaging Therapy Plus: $65/week (Billed as $260 monthly)
- Unlimited Messaging Therapy Premium: $79/week (Billed as $316 monthly)
- LiveTalk Therapy Ultimate: $99/week (Billed as $396 monthly)
- Couples therapy: $99/week (billed as $396 monthly) or $89/week (billed $1068 every 3 months).
Free online counselling chat 24/7 – Benefits
Online counselling is easily accessible to all those who wish to use it.
People who leave in remote areas, people that are physically disabled or unable to leave their homes can easily access such services with little inconvenience.
Online counselling has also shown to be effective in encouraging children and teenagers to receive therapy as they seem to be more comfortable with using the internet.
Online counselling is considered to be more economical for both the therapist and the client.
Therapist do not have to rent commercial places in order to open a private practice, and clients benefit from the reduced charges.
Online therapy is convenient. Both the therapist and the client have the convenience of corresponding with each other at a range of various times. Appointments can be potentially scheduled for over 24 hours and reach a larger geographical region.
Online counselling can prompt clients to communicate more openly without concerns for a bias of race, gender, age, size or physical appearance.
The internet clearly offers a level of anonymity that is perceived by many users as non-threatening by allowing anonymity.
Free online counselling chat 24/7 – Disadvantages
- Confidentiality and security
Mental health practitioners have an ethical responsibility to protect and maintain the confidentiality of their clients.
With online counselling, the security of the client’s records, information, and confidentiality is at greater risk of being inappropriately breached given the written nature of the internet.
- Absence of verbal and nonverbal cues
Traditional counselling relies heavily on the characteristics of both verbal and nonverbal cues as a form of communication and as a way of gaining insight into the client’s thoughts and feelings.
Online therapy does not give an indication of characteristics such as voice tone, facial expression, body language, and eye contact.
This can potentially impact negatively on the counselling outcomes as the therapist has no opportunity to observe and interpret such cues.
- Therapist credibility
The client receiving online therapy has little or no assurance about the qualification and credentials of their therapist.
This might expose the client to the exploitation of inexperienced individuals.
- Ethical issues
As online counselling services grow and continue to gain popularity, attention will have to be given to the construction of legal and ethical codes.
For example, if a practitioner does not know where a client is, how can they call for help in the case of an emergency, such as s**cidal threats?
These are some of the questions that therapists will have to consider before they embark on providing such services.
Free online counselling chat 24/7 India
Online counselling and psychotherapy offer great flexibility in the sense that it is tailored to the client’s needs and can be used at any time and from any place: from home, from the office, on vacation, on weekends.
- At Living in Wellbeing the counsellors are under the supervision of Dr Purushothaman, and they offer General Counseling Services for children, teenagers and adults. It is easy to request an appointment, you just have to choose a time most convenient for you, from the available time slots.
- At YourDost you can either choose to chat now or make an appointment with a mental health professional at a more convenient time. This service includes 24/7 round the clock support, no matter where you are in the world. Their website also has many useful articles and recommendations for your general wellbeing.
Free online counselling chat 24/7 South Africa
If you are looking for free online counselling chat 24/7 in South Africa, there are a few options you can choose from:
- LifeLine Johannesburg – LifeLine offers free online counselling 24/7 to help people deal with issues they face before they become a crisis. They also give people the tools they need to better handle stress and improve their emotional health.
- LifeLine Western Cape – The role of LifeLine Western Cape is to create a safe space for people to share what is happening in their lives.
- South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG) – The SADAG offer support for depression, bipolar, anxiety, ADHD, OCD, trauma, substance abuse and other issues you may be facing.
- Childline SA – this is a non-profit organization that has a purpose to protect children from South Africa from all forms of violence. On their website, you can find free ways of contacting them in order to get help ASAP.
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
Free online counselling chat 24/7 Canada
You can get access to free online counselling chat 24/7 in Canada at:
- BlahTherapy – At Blah Therpahy you can either speak to a licensed therapist for a minimum fee or talk for free with a stranger in a chat room. They offer anonymity and 24/7 online support.
- Talk With a Stranger – offer free online chat rooms for everyone to discuss their issues and to meet new people as well. You don’t even have to create an account, is as simple as that.
Or get free support by telephone at:
- Canada S**cide Prevention Service (CSPS) – Although their free online chat rooms are currently unavailable, you can still call or text to talk if you are thinking about s**cide or you are concerned for a friend.
- First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness – Hope for Wellness Help Line offers immediate help to all Indigenous peoples across Canada. You can either call them or access their free online chat 24/7 at hopeforwellness.ca.
- Crisis Call Centre – This service is available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. You can either call or text. They help with matters related to depression and anxiety, substance abuse, domestic violence, sexual assault, and other mental health related issues.
Free online counselling chat 24/7 Australia
If you are looking for free online counselling chat 24/7 in Australia, you can contact either of the following services:
- Free Drug & Alcohol counselling 24/7 at Counselling Online – To start you have to choose between joining their community or starting a single access session. After that, a chat window will open and you can start chatting to your counsellor.
- Eheadspace – Offers free online group chats or 1-on-1 counselling sessions for young people 12 – 25 and their families and friends.
- MensLine Australia – offers online and phone counselling to help men manage their mental health issues and worries regarding relationships, being a dad, or dealing with depression or substance abuse.
Free online counselling chat 24/7 NZ
The best options you can choose from while looking for free online counselling chat 24/7 in NZ are:
- YouthLine – lets you chat free with a counsellor online from 7 pm to 10 pm. This is a service available for any young person in New Zealand, or anyone who is supporting a young person.
- HeadFirst – Redirects you to online chat rooms such as: LifeLine, Depression hotline, Anxiety hotline, YouthLine, The Lowdown, or Auntie Dee. This is a great website if you don’t know where exactly to look for free online or telephone counselling services.
- TalkingMinds – If you feel the need to talk or know more about the issues you are experiencing, this website is a great resource. They offer support services groups for people experiencing psychosis.
Free online career counselling chat 24/7 India
If you are confused over your career choices and looking for a free online career counselling chat 24/7 in India, a good place to ask for guidance would be Future Focus India.
At Future Focus India, you will find a complete guide about career options, career windows and more information for teens.
You can also take a free career quiz to find out which courses match your interests, personality & aptitude.
Or you can ask a career guru for personalized advice.
Free online Christian counselling chat 24/7
Perhaps some of the best free online Christian counselling chats 24/7 are:
- Chatnow – offer support for Depression, alcohol, addiction, relationship advice and any information about God you want to know. Recently they have developed an app, called meetJ app, which send you 40 daily readings with easy to understand notes.
- Faithful counselling – lets you connect with a fellow believer online within their network of licensed, professional therapists. You can connect either by phone, video or text.
- GroundWire – this website lets you chat online if you are looking for support, find a church near you or even get involved if you want to help fellow believers.
Free online counselling chat 24/7 UK
There are a few options if you are looking for free online counselling chat 24/7 in the UK:
- NHS England – Here you can find what areas in England offer free online counselling. Some of them offer self-help tools and a 1-to-1 session with a licensed psychotherapist.
- Childline – offers support for young people, either by telephone, email or online chat support. Anyone under 19 can contact the Childline chat about anything that concerns them.
- Kooth – Is an online service for people aged between 10 and 25 years old in the UK. You can contact them Monday to Friday from 12pm to 10 pm, or Saturday to Sunday from 6 pm to 10 pm.
- BreathingSpace Scotland – Breathing Space is a safe space where anyone from Scotland can contact an online free chat to receive support when feeling depressed or anxious. They also offer information and support for people concerned for a loved one.
Free 24-hour online counselling chat UK for teenagers
Among the most popular free 24-hour online counselling chat in the UK for teenagers are:
- Childline UK – offers support for young people, either by telephone, email or online chat support. Anyone under 19 can contact the Childline chat about anything that concerns them.
- Kooth – Is an online service for people aged between 10 and 25 years old in the UK. You can contact them Monday to Friday from 12 pm to 10 pm, or Saturday to Sunday from 6 pm to 10 pm.
- The Mix – anyone under 25 can access the free online counselling chat from The Mix. They offer 1-to-1 chat, a crisis messenger or a free telephone number. They deal with the following concerns: sex and relationships, mental health, your body, money, work and study, safety and lifestyle.
Free online counselling chat 24/7 free assessment
You may be wondering if there are free online counselling chat 24/7 for a free assessment. The following websites offer free access to doctors on call:
- Doctor on Demand – This website gives you access to a 24/7 doctor care, they also offer emotional support from the privacy of your home.
- MDLive – This service can offer psychiatric support 24/7 if this is a kind of assessment you are looking for.
- YourDoctors Online – This is a 24/7 free online doctor chat, who lets you connect with a board-certified physician, no matter your concern.
Free Online Relationship Counselling
Free online relationship counselling is quite common these days, given the hectic life of people, as well as the epidemic that is forcing people to stay indoors, there has been a realization everywhere that therapy and counselling can easily be provided to people online.
There are many websites that provide paid as well as free online relationship counselling, and some of them may have free trials that may well serve as introductions to the concept of relationship counselling, if the couple needs that first.
Regain.us is one such website where someone might be able to find paid or free online relationship counselling, and the process is simple:
- Register for your free therapy account
- Take an online questionnaire.
- Get matched one of the licensed therapy providers to conduct your online therapy sessions.
- Start online therapy sessions with a relationship counselor individually or as a couple.
Another great website for free online relationship counselling is Talkspace, which is a leading counselling service for many other problems as well, and it has some great resources for couples counselling that one must make use of if they are facing relationship problems.
The process of free online relationship counselling on talkspace is very simple too:
- Take a Brief assessment: Answer a few questions about your preferences.
- Pick a therapist: You may Select from a list of recommendations.
- Start therapy.
If you are facing problems in your relationship you should certainly make use of paid or free online relationship counselling, because this is a sector that has become more and more frequently used in the past months, and 2020 has proved that there really is no limitation to seeking therapy.
In this article we found more about the Free online counselling chat 24/7, what are their advantages and disadvantages.
What you have to remember is that online therapy includes a therapeutic session with a licensed counselor, psychologist or psychotherapist.
Online counselling chat rooms are forums where you connect with like-minded people, that may or not have any psychological background.
Among the advantages of online counselling are anonymity, accessibility and the convenience of accessing 24/7 online therapy.
Some disadvantages are confidentiality, security and ethical issues.
FAQs about Free online counselling chat 24/7
Can I talk to a counselor online for free?
Yes, you can talk to a counselor online for free. There are many options for attending free counseling online.
Services like 7Cups or BetterHelp.com offer online sessions a licensed professional counselor.
Can you get Counselling for free?
Yes, you can get free counseling for a range of issues such as anxiety, depression, anger management, couples therapy and more.
Is 7 cups free?
Yes, 7 Cups is free and appropriate for both teens and adults.
While the trained therapists do cost money to access, there is a 3-Day free trial available.
Is Online Therapy Effective?
Online Therapy can be as effective as traditional face to face therapy sessions.
Research shows that cognitive-behavioral therapy is as good on the telephone or over Skype as it is face-to-face.
How much does BetterHelp cost?
BetterHelp membership plans cost $35/week, with one free 20-minute call per month and extra calls at $29 per 20 minutes.
Therefore you would pay $87 per hour for a phone call, which is the typical length of a traditional therapy session.
Why is therapy so expensive?
Therapy is expensive since to receive a license, therapists have to go through years of training before they can actually work.
As well, the therapist has to pay tent and utilities for their private practice office, state licensure annual fees, and more.
- The Anxiety and Worry Workbook
- The Mindful Way Through Depression
- The Anger Workbook for Teens
- Online Counseling: A Handbook for Mental Health Professionals
- Online Guidance and Counseling: Toward Effectively Applying Technology
- 7 Cups Community Q&A
- Better Help – Advice About Mental Health
- iPrevail – Wellness Programs
- TalkSpace -FAQ