In this article, we will give you 70 emotional self care tips. Some of these tips you can use as writing prompts for your journal. It would be a great idea to make a tracker in which to write down your daily activities and how these emotional self care tips made you feel once you have implemented them.
Our emotional health is neither more nor less important than physical and mental, so we must know how to take care of it. Constant changes and stress can also affect our emotions, but you can relax in different ways. People often complain about getting tired easily. The reason can be, being too emotionally and physically active throughout the day.
By learning about different emotions and the way to control them for your own benefit, you can acquire emotional competence.
- Let go of stress – Dealing with worry or the pressures of everyday life is not impossible. Take time with yourself.
- Physical well-being – This can be achieved if you try a balanced diet where you eliminate the intake of alcohol and tobacco.
- No more drama – Much of the stress has its origin in the problems, however, consider that all have a solution and that worrying will not be of much help.
- Pamper yourself – How about a massage session at the spa? or how about a beach vacation? or just a moment with yourself.
- Meditate – A study by scientists at the University of California (UCLA) shows that meditation is capable of regulating emotions. This is because meditation encourages certain areas of the brain to grow.
- Join a group – It is never too late to learn new things. Look for writing, painting or crafts classes, this, in addition to helping you acquire new skills, will stimulate your creativity and keep your emotions positive.
- Make time for yourself every day. This is practically mandatory.
- Read more or download an audiobook app. Search within that half hour daily that you can do every day or a longer time on weekends.
- Start the morning with a large glass of water, we dehydrate when we sleep after so many hours without drinking.
- Have a nice and rich breakfast. What breakfast ideas can you have that are nutritious and rich? Make a list of your essentials and plan a little in advance.
- If the news depresses you in the early morning, take the opportunity to put on a playlist that charges your batteries, or softer music.
- Practice mindfulness. A few minutes of safe meditation helps you keep your mind calm during the day. Do it as many times as you need.
- Stretch or exercise in the morning too. Doing some asanas (yoga poses) or an entire session can come in handy.
- Move. Everyday. Sedentary lifestyle is killing us (there are thousands of articles from people who know what they are talking about on the internet, look them up).
- Do strength exercises. Same as above: search the internet for why and above all, always consult a professional in case of any ailment.
- If you live in the city and you have to take a lot of public transport, or you are overwhelmed by people (which I understand perfectly), get some good headphones and download this cool and free app that I have discovered: Atmosphere.
- Write. If you don’t have a journal, you can start one. If you prefer to write something fantasy or fiction, sign up to one of the free channels for writers online.
- Take a shower a little longer than usual or a long bath once in a while.
- At least once a week do a good beauty ritual. Especially pampering your feet that takes you so many places. We often forget about them.
- Extend the care ritual: fix your nails, put a mask on your hair and one of your favorite movies.
- If you are more creative than me, paint or draw, that relaxes a lot.
- On Sundays spend a little time preparing next week: on Monday you will be more prepared and planning always helps to be a little calmer to face what comes more calmly.
- There are also people who plan weekly menus on Sundays and do what is now called batch cooking. There are a lot of easy recipes to get down to work and not eat pre-cooked meals.
- Try a new recipe. Find the one that you like the most and plan the ingredients, go find them at the market and pamper yourself and dedication in the kitchen
- Little plants, flowers and more little plants. The joy they give and what they relax is something from another planet.
- More nature. If you don’t have the countryside nearby, find the parks in your city and plan to spend at least a few times a week there.
- In addition to doing a marathon of your favorite series, have you tried meeting a friend? Is your friend too far away? What was WhatsApp invented for then?
- Call and spend time with your grandmother. If you still have the great luck of having it, of course.
- Make your house smell amazing using candles, incenses or an aromatherapy humidifier.
- Talk daily with a friend or a family member. It is important to stay in touch.
- Look through family photos. The goal here is not to get very sentimental, but to remind yourself who you are, where you belong and what you’ve been through.
- Watch your favorite movie over and over again. And then write about it. Write in your journal what you like about the plotline, the characters, what you would do differently and what you would keep.
- Write a list of your goals. It is extremely important to know what you want. Read about the power of intention and setting goals, then get to work!
- Prepare your favorite food. Then write in your journal the recipe. Play with it, try to find a secret ingredient to make it better!
- Write about someone you love. You can send them a letter or just keep it for yourself in your journal.
- Write 100 things you are grateful for. Yes, 100 things. You will be surprised how many reasons you have to be happy.
- Go to a museum or an art gallery. It will help you disconnect and it is also a great source of inspiration.
- Spend 10 minutes a day outdoors. Ideal it would be 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the afternoon.
- Garden. Did I mention already how important plants are? How about growing your own vegetables and fruits?
- Say no when you’re overwhelmed. It is alright to say No when you feel tired, emotionally overwhelmed or if you just don’t feel like it.
- Say yes when you’re stuck. It is humane to ask for help if you cannot handle something by yourself. It doesn’t mean you are weak!
- Get up at dawn. There’s nothing more inspiring and that can make you feel more alive…
- Take a photographic walk. Take great photos of your favourite walking path. Next time you miss home, browse through your album!
- Volunteer for a cause you believe in. By helping others we also help ourselves. Besides, volunteering is a great way of meeting new people, of doing something really good.
- Go on a retreat. Let yourself go, learn something new, embrace your fears.
- Talk to someone about your fears. Or write about them. Write 3 fears for every goal you have and your plan in overcoming them.
- Write your family history. You will be grateful for this one day.
- Write everything you would say to your boss / mother-in-law / neighbor… And do not hesitate in being honest. This is a great exercise to express repressed anger.
- Write a song about your love life. Who knows, maybe it will be the next hit!
- Celebrate a small achievement. This will make you realise that you are doing great. Small steps are also valuable steps.
- Imagine a perfect day, what would it be like? Where would you be? What would you do? Who is also there?
- Make lists.Things you don’t want to forget. Things you’ve done for the first time. Places you want to visit. Books you plan to read.
- Nostalgia trip: Tell how things were in your youth. Or how you would have wanted them to be…
- Write what you’ve done today: You don’t need a great story, just tell it in an interesting way.
- Look at someone on the street and imagine their story. What is their job? What are they thinking about? What would they have to teach you?
- Learn how to create boundaries. You deserve to be respected and loved for who you are.
- Forgive yourself for the past mistakes. There is no point in dwelling over the past. What happened happened. Learn your lesson(s) and move on.
- Learn about emotions. And how to feel them.
- Stop justifying your actions. You should not give explanations for wanting what you want. Period.
- Make a goal to get rid of the bad habits. It prevents you from being the best version of yourself
- Apologize only for those moments when you’re truly sorry. Do not apologize for the way you think or for your dreams.
- Learn to accept compliments. You deserve them. Also, compliment yourself. Daily.
- Prioritize your needs. Because in the end, you are the only person who can make you happy. It is your responsibility.
- Create a support system. Someone that you can turn to, no matter what.
- Let go of regrets. Forgive yourself. After all, you did the best you could, considering the circumstances at that moment.
- Create rituals for when you feel sad. This way, you will be prepared and you will know what you need in order to process this emotion.
- Soothe your inner child. It is so important to make peace and to be compassionate with our inner child.
- Be your own best cheerleader. Nobody is going to be as happy for your achievements as you can be.
- Learn your emotional triggers. It will help you manage better stressful events in the future.
- Practice self-compassion. Become aware of the dialogue you have with yourself within your own head. Be kinder to yourself, you are doing your best.
All these self care tips are a type of self therapy.
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
You might also want to know how to achieve better in life, because you deserve better. Taking care of your health is important, but it is also important to talk about your emotions and take care of your mental and emotional health. Don’t hesitate to ask for help and reach out to those who support you when you need it. Your emotions are valid and it is necessary to express them.
Enjoyed this article? Then Repin to your own inspiration board so others can too!