Does monday.com have dependencies? (+How to set up task dependencies)
This blogpost will answer if monday.com has dependencies. We shall also describe the different steps involved in setting up dependencies for your project management needs in monday.com. Furthermore, we shall also discuss some advantages of monday.com and also some of the disadvantages that users have faced.
Does monday.com have dependencies?
Absolutely yes! monday.com has dependencies. Task dependencies are important for project management as tasks and assignments are rarely independent from each other. Each task is usually dependent or tied to another one and is meant to be started only when another is completed or finished.
How to set up task dependencies in monday.com?
To set up task dependencies for your project management needs and requirements in monday.com, you will need to follow these steps described below:
- You will need to add a Dependency column to the board that you are working on. To do this, simply click on the ‘+’ that is present on the right of your last column. From the options, choose ‘Dependency column’. You can also search for this using the search bar if you are not able to find this option.
Picture credit: monday.com
- Once you have added this column, you will be prompted to choose a time column, such as the Date column or the Timeline column. You can then click on the ‘Connect Columns’ option to connect these two columns.
- Now that these two are connected, you can create your dependencies. In order to do so, click one cell in the Dependency column. From the menu that drops down, choose any one item. This will also set an automation which means only when one task is completed will the next one start.
Advantages of monday.com
Some of the great advantages of using monday.com for your project management needs have been described in this section:
It can automate tasks for teams
Projects require many tasks and actions to be repeatedly done over and over again. An example of one such task is, notifying a team leader when a task can been completed. These repetitive tasks can take up a lot of time and can also create frustration for users. With the help of the automations feature in monday.com, these tasks can be taken care of without intervention.
It can provide several views
For teams who require multiple views and a lot of data, the platform provides several views. This can provide additional information and can also be used to pinpoint problem areas and risk factors. Teams can easily opt to see their content in the form of a Gantt view, a Timeline view, a Kanban view, a Calendar view, a Form view, and many more.
It can easily integrate with tools
Since teams rarely work with only one project or collaboration tool, monday.com offers more than 40 integrations that can be used to connect with apps and tools like Slack, Gmail, Outlook, etc. These integrations can be found in the Integrations Center of monday.com and others can be set up using an external party like Integromat or Zapier.
It has ready to use templates
The platform also features many ready to use and customizable templates that busy team members can make use of. There are templates for almost any type of task or assignment for many different business verticals. Furthermore, teams can also create their very own templates and use it among their members.
It is user friendly
One of the best features of monday.com is that it is quite user friendly. This means team members can learn the ropes of the platform in a short span of time. The various items and factors in the platform are placed quite visibly and are filled with bright and vibrant color codes which make for easy accessibility and utilization.
The customer support is great
The customer support in monday.com is easily available and offers priority treatment for the upper tier plans. The website is also filled with useful resources and blogs which will make any newcomer a learned master in a short span of time. In addition, the customer support team regularly conducts webinars and Q&A sessions to solve their issues.
Disadvantages of monday.com
While the platform has a very strong suite of useful features, it also has some disadvantages that users have experienced. Some of these are:
- The limited number of automations that certain plans have. This is especially the lower tier plans which can discourage users and make them look for an alternate project management tool.
- There is no chat option for communication between team members. Though this can be easily resolved with an integration with an app like Slack, this can still deter teams who are used to such a communication method.
- The limited number of integrations available in the Integrations Center. While monday.com offers more than 40 robust integrations, there are many other project management tools that offer a lot more.
- The task dependencies cannot be too customized. This is quite important as teams need to be aware of when to start a certain task in a project. The platform in monday.com does not offer too many customization options for task dependencies, which can be frustrating for users.
This blogpost has answered if monday.com has dependencies. We have also described the different steps involved in setting up dependencies for your project management needs in monday.com. Furthermore, we have also discussed some advantages of monday.com and also some of the disadvantages that users have faced.
If you like this blogpost, please leave your comments and questions below.
What are functional dependencies in project management?
Everything you need to know about task dependencies