In this guide, we will answer the question ‘Do Kalms contain Valerian?’, the main ingredients and others that may be included, what are Kalms tablets and what are they used for, who shouldn’t take them, possible interactions with other drugs, how to take them, what happens if you take more than the recommended dose and additional considerations.
Do Kalms contain Valerian?
Kalms do contain valerian root except for Kalms Lavender One-A-Day capsules which contain Lavender oil instead of Valerian.
Check the collection of the best lavender essential oils for anxiety. Also, check the best blends offered by dōTERRA that help with anxiety. Aside from herbal essences, a famous product is Fish Oil for Anxiety, check out which ones are the best. Also find them in roll-on.
This tall, flowering grassland plant has been used for many years due to its sedative properties.
However, as indicated by the Mayo Clinic “ Of the many valerian species, only the carefully processed roots of the Valeriana officinalis have been widely studied. However, not all studies have shown valerian to be effective, and there may be some dangers.”
Moreover, if you are suffering from insomnia, consider that medication may not be the answer you are looking for.
Think about how it is not an effective cure if you are bleeding and you put a band-aid on it. You will keep bleeding for sure so in this case, the medicine will only be a temporary solution.
However, what you could do is changing your lifestyle habits such as:
- Avoiding substances such as caffeine and alcohol before going to sleep.
- Maintain a regular sleep schedule, which means going to sleep almost at the same hours and getting up as well at the same hour.
- Exercise regularly and avoid doing it right before going to sleep.
- Consider going to therapy or counseling.
It could also be the case that the product you may be using, not only Kalms but many others you may have been recommended, is not guaranteed to work in every case or every person the same.
Also, there are some side effects to every medication even if it is natural and it is almost like a lottery, you may get them or you may not.
Kalms Night Ingredients
First of all, be aware that Kalms night is a traditional herbal medicinal product used for the temporary relief of sleeping problems.
Here at Holland & Barrett you will find the Best Herbal Remedies.
Be aware there is also a Kalms One-A-Night type.
There are 4 types of Kalms but here we will include the ingredients of the ‘Kalms Night’ tablets.
To see the other versions and their ingredients you can see them here.
According to the Kalms Night patient leaflet, here are the ingredients:
- Dry extract from Valerian root…………………………… 96 mg
(Valeriana officinalis L.) (equivalent to 384 – 480mg of Valerian root) Extraction solvent: Ethanol 60%v/v
Excipients: Maltodextrin, Colloidal Anhydrous Silica.
The other ingredients are:
- Core: Croscarmellose Sodium, Magnesium Stearate,
- Silicified Microcrystalline Cellulose, Talc, and Silicon Dioxide.
- Coating: Hypromellose, Talc, Titanium Dioxide,
- Macrogol, Saccharine Sodium.
What are Kalms tablets?
According to the patient leaflet “Kalms contains Hops, Valerian root, and Gentian root and is a
traditional herbal medicinal product used for the temporary relief of symptoms associated with
stress such as mild anxiety and irritability including symptoms associated with menopause
such as flushings and cold sweats and for the temporary relief of sleep disturbances, based on
traditional use only.
However, before you decide to take Kalms consider the following:
- If you are allergic or you suspect you may be allergic to any of the ingredients we have
- mentioned, do not take Kalms and talk to your physician.
- Do not take Kalms if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You are under the age of 18.
- If you are taking medicine for sleep and/or anxiety avoid using Kalms.
Types of Kalms
There are a variety of Kalms products such as:
- Kalms Night One-A-Night
- Kalms Night
- Kalms Day
- Kalms Lavender One-A-Day Capsules
Consequently, depending on the type of Kalms tablets you are considering taking, ingredients
may vary but the main active component (Valerian Root) stays the same.
Here is a list of the best Kalms range of products for anxiety.
However, the Kalms Lavender One-A-Day capsules is the only type that has Lavender instead of Valerian as the main component. If you like lavender, you should try the best lavender teas for anxiety.
What is anxiety?
Even though anxiety is considered normal and part of our lives, experiencing it at higher levels
than usual or feeling too overwhelmed or unable to cope with it can actually result in a
significant impact on our daily activities.
Anxiety can have different root causes which can vary from one person to the other, but here
are some of the most common:
- Your current life situation or certain specific events you have gone through recently.
- Childhood experiences such as trauma, being abused, a death in the family.
- Having a medical condition or suffering from chronic illnesses.
- Having a mental health illness such as depression or having phobias.
- Certain medications and substances can exacerbate anxiety symptoms.
Can I combine Kalms while using other medicine?
It is not recommended to start taking Kalms if you are taking prescribed or over the counter
medicines. Talk to your doctor or pharmacists first if you have started or you have been taking
Moreover, it is important to consider that Kalms contains sucrose and if you have been told by
your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, consult with them before starting to
take the tablets.
How to take Kalms Tablets
For the temporary relief of the symptoms of stress, mild anxiety, and irritability including
symptoms associated with menopause such as flushings, cold sweats, and even as a sleeping aid.
For instance, Kalms Night is recommended to be taken as (according to the patient’s leaflet):
“Swallow 4 tablets 30 to 60 minutes before bedtime. If necessary, on subsequent evenings, swallow 4 additional tablets earlier during the evening.”
The tablets should be swallowed whole with some water or other liquid, also the use in children
and adolescents under 18 years of age is not recommended. The maximum daily dose is 6
tablets and as the effects of this product may not occur immediately, the tablets should be
taken continuously for 2-4 weeks. If symptoms worsen or do not improve after 4 weeks, a doctor or a qualified healthcare practitioner should be consulted.
In addition, consider that the specifications on how to take Kalms may vary from one
presentation to the other so make sure you check the box or the leaflet included for additional instructions.
What happens if I overdose?
If you take too many tablets at once or more than the recommended amount, consult with your doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner as soon as possible.
In addition, if you forget to take one dose, do not attempt to take two at the same time to make up for the missed dose.
Valerian possible side effects
Everyone can react differently to the use of Kalms and especially to the main ingredient,
Valerian Root, but it is important to consider the possible side effects. Here are some of them:
- Upset stomach
- Thinking problems
- Dry mouth
- Feeling excited or uneasy
- Strange dreams
- Daytime drowsiness
Even though not everyone gets to experience the side effects, be aware you might and if it is
the case, pay attention to them. If the symptoms get worse seek immediate medical attention.
Recommendations to store Kalms tablets
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- Do not take Kalms tablets after the expiry date which is stated on the packaging.
- Do not store above 25ºC.
- Store in the original package.
What Kalms tablets look like and contents of the pack
Kalms Night tablets are white circular film-coated tablets. They are available in bottles containing 50, 100, and 200 tablets. Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
The other types of Kalms tablets may have a similar presentation but the pack sizes may vary.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or nurse. This includes any possible
side effects not listed in the leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow
Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide
more information on the safety of this medicine.
Why is this blog about Do Kalms contain Valerian important?
As we discussed, there is only one presentation within the Kalms range that has Lavender oil as the main active component instead of valerian root, which is the case of Kalms Lavender One-A-Day Capsules.
In addition, we have seen the uses of Kalms and the common side effects of Valerian root, even if this is considered a safe herbal remedy.
Remember, consult with your doctor before starting to take Kalms so you can be instructed in case you are already taking any type of prescribed medication or if you need additional instructions.
In addition, if you have any of the side effects or they tend to get worse, seek immediate medical assistance.
Many are inquisitive about whether Kalms contain other components other than the one mentioned above, such as Caffeine, paracetamol etc.
The answer to these questions therefore, help them to choose whether they want to take kalms or not.
Please feel free to leave any comments or thoughts about the content of this article!
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Do Kalms contain Valerian
Are Kalms any good for anxiety?
Kalms are said to be good to relieve mild anxiety symptoms.
It is considered by many a natural herbal remedy that can also help relieve periods of irritability and stress.
In addition, it is also considered a sleeping aid due to the properties of the Valerian root.
What are the side effects of Kalms?
Some of the most common side effects of Kalms or its main active component, Valerian root include:
– Upset stomach
– Thinking problems
– Dry mouth
– Feeling excited or uneasy
– Strange dreams
– Daytime drowsiness.
What do Kalms contain?
According to the patient leaflet from Kalms Day, the active substance per coaxed tablet is:
– 33.75mg of extract (as dry extract) from Valerian root (Valeriana officinalis L.) (equivalent to 135 to 167mg of Valerian root) Extraction solvent: Ethanol 60%v/v
The other ingredients are:
– Extract: Maltodextrin, Colloidal Anhydrous Silica.
– Core: Hops Extract, Acacia (Spray-dried), Icing Sugar,
– Magnesium Stearate, Maize Starch, Colloidal Anhydrous
– Silica, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Stearic Acid.
– Coating: Acacia (Spray-dried), Calcium Carbonate (Light),
– Carnauba Wax, Mastercote White SP0950G, Talc, Sucrose,
– Titanium Dioxide E171, Yellow Beeswax.
Do Kalms help you sleep?
Kalms Night Tablets are said to be helpful to promote natural sleep, leaving you feeling refreshed and energetic the morning after.
Are Kalms dangerous?
Kalms are not considered dangerous but if you have certain medical conditions such as liver
disease, refrain from taking Kalms due to the valerian.
In addition, remember that Kalms can
make you feel drowsy so avoid driving or operating any machinery since it can be potentially
What we recommend for curbing Anxiety
Below are some of the services and products we recommend for anxiety
- Anxiety Weighted Blankets are by far the number 1 thing every person who suffers from anxiety should at least try. Anxiety Blankets may improve your sleep, allow you to fall asleep faster and you can even carry them around when chilling at home.
- Online therapy is another thing we should all try. We highly recommend Online therapy with a provider who not only provides therapy but a complete mental health toolbox to help your wellness.
- With over 50,000 participants, this anxiety course may be just what you need to regain control of your life.
- Amber light therapy from Amber lights could increase the melatonin production in your body and help you sleep better at night. An Amber light lamp helps reduce the amount of time it takes you to fall asleep and increases overall sleep quality.
Patient Information Leaflet (can be found here)
Kalmsrange.com: “Kalms Night”
Everydayhealth.com: “What Is Valerian Root?”
Mayoclinic.org: “Valerian: A safe and effective herbal sleep aid?”