Cover letter for a position at BCG (5 samples)
This article will list samples of “cover letters for a position at BCG.”
Samples of BCG cover letter
When applying for a position at BCG, your cover letter is an opportunity for you to tell your story, without being stuck in the formatting constraints of the BCG resume. The best format for writing a cover letter is:
- Address the employer with a formal salutation. For example, “Dear/Hello (name of the recipient).” If you do not know the recipient’s name, you can refer to them as the hiring manager.
- The next step is to state the position you are applying for and how you found the opening.
- Make a brief statement about why you’re interested in the position. Write a paragraph about why you are the perfect candidate for the job.
- State your skills and work experience. Ensure your skills and experiences are similar to the job position. When highlighting skills, provide the accomplishment you have achieved.
- Conclude your letter with a forward-looking statement. For example, “I look forward to discussing the position with you further.”
Sample 1: “BCG cover letter”
Dear Recruiting Manager:
I first learned of the Boston Consulting Group when I visited the Forbes website and read through the list of “Best Companies to Work for in 2015.” I immediately visited the company’s website only to find myself impressed by the values statement and approaches used sections. Rather than try to mold a client’s problems into an existing framework, BCG deconstructs the problem and finds solutions from the ground up. I have decided to apply for a position as a management consultant at BCG for its well-established reputation internationally and commitment to its nine values.
I believe that my professional experiences have prepared me for the detailed, analytical and interpersonal components of compliance. This past summer, I worked with McKesson Corporation as a Public Affairs intern. During this time, I was tasked with writing draft comment letters, as well as researching and analyzing policies that I later briefed to the public affairs team in the form of a memorandum. Also this summer, I interned with the nonprofit organization Enterprise for High School Students where I designed and analyzed a survey using Qualtrics that was administered to over 300 past participants to gauge the effectiveness of the program in several key areas. Additionally, in previous summers I served as a policy intern at San Francisco City Hall where I was tasked with researching existing policies in the city and working with legislative aides to identify ways to improve them. Also during this internship, I had to establish a task force of government agencies, contractors/developers, community stakeholders, and residents to resolve the issue of construction noise in the city. This required me to research city noise ordinances, identify possible places of conflict between these ordinances and the actions of contractors, and create a compromise between residents, contractors, and stakeholders.
I believe that in addition to my internship experiences and skillsets, I possess leadership skills from a variety of extracurricular activities as an undergraduate that will make me an asset to your company. My optimistic attitude, resourcefulness, detail-oriented behavior and unwavering determination are derived from a variety of life experiences and will be beneficial in the consulting setting.
I look forward to showing you my commitment and preparation to starting a career in management consulting with the Boston Consulting Group.”
Sample 2: “BCG cover letter”
“DD / MM / YYYY
Dear Sir / Madam,
I would like to apply for an Associate position at BCG in London.
I started working as an Analyst at Big Finance in New York in September 2020 and was quickly promoted to Associate in a year and a half instead of the average of four years. While at Big Finance, I advised a broad range of clients who constantly gave me positive feedback and regularly asked to work with me again. Before joining Big Finance, I graduated as the top student of my MEng in Chemical Engineering at a Prestigious University in the UK. While studying, I received two competitive scholarships and awards. In addition, I developed my leadership skills as the President of the Prestigious University Consulting Club. High energy was essential to lead a team of 5 managing the club and growing the number of members by 20%.
There are several reasons why I want to pursue a consulting career. To start with, I know I will enjoy being a strategy consultant because I have already worked in a strategy team in the past. This was in the summer of 2019 when I was a Strategy Intern at Big Grocery Retailer in London. In addition, I think consulting is a unique opportunity to comprehensively learn about business management by working on a variety of company situations. Over the past two years, I have started building my business skills while advising clients on financial matters at Big Finance. I now look forward to learning more about company management at BBC. Finally, I want to work in consulting because I truly enjoy interacting with clients. Throughout my work experiences, I have built a successful track record of developing and maintaining relationships with clients including, for instance, the senior strategy team at Big Grocery Retailer.
BCG appeals to me for three reasons. To start with, the different people from the company I have met and worked with all told me they had truly enjoyed their time there. For the past two years, I have worked for Michael Smith, a former Engagement Manager from the London office, who now works for Big Finance. Additionally, I regularly read BCG’s reports on financial services and think the insights delivered by Sarah James and others in the Finance practice are truly superior to that of other consultancies. By joining BCG, I, therefore, think I would have an opportunity to work with and learn from the best consultants in the industry.
For all these reasons, I am very enthusiastic about the chance to work at McKinsey. I am available for an interview at any time and look forward to hearing from you.
Sample 3: “BCG cover letter”
I am interested in the Associate Consultant position at the Boston Consulting Group. I have an avid interest in management consulting and my conversation with your team about the challenging working environment, unique culture and the company’s commitment to developing its consultants during the University of Pretoria information session last year reinforced my belief that this separates BCG from other firms and further deepened my determination to seek this position.
My three years of experience as an Engineer and GIS Data Analyst, where I have led in the design and implementation of various projects worth millions of dollars, has honed my project management abilities and made me a strong team leader and partner for my colleagues. Through my strong determination I taught myself GIS and computer programming and today I am heading Database Management in the City of Bulawayo’s GIS office. I am also part of a 6 member GIS consulting team for City of Harare alongside the head of Geospatial Technologies for the City of Munich and The head of Survey for EThekwini Municipality and 4 other GIS professionals from Bulawayo, EThekwini and Munich. Because of my love for data analytics, diverse knowledge fields and problem solving I decided to further my education through a master’s degree by research at the University of Pretoria which has allowed me to sharpen my research skills and learn self-discipline since I do not have the guidance of regular coursework. My story stretches beyond the classroom and workplace, I founded the Student for Students Trust which empowers underprivileged, high-potential children to continue and thrive in education whilst simultaneously building mutually beneficial relationships between students of varied backgrounds. To date, we have taken four students through primary school and we are currently sponsoring two high school students. I believe that my strong work ethic, analytical skills, and initiative have given me the requisite skills and abilities needed for management consulting and contributing to the growth and success of BCG.
I have loved every minute of my work as an engineer, especially the unique opportunity to see my efforts and work come together to make a real, tangible. Although I enjoy all this, I realise that I am not going to be satisfied with carrying out routine engineering procedures. I want more direct exposure and active involvement in the development of strategies that are shaping up the world’s leading companies and industries and I believe management consulting at BCG will offer that to me. My senior colleagues have encouraged my ambition and I know that I have what it takes to do very well as a consultant. Attached is my CV for your consideration.
I look forward to the opportunity of being interviewed in order to share more about my experience, qualifications and interests that I could bring to your company. Please do not hesitate to contact me with further questions. I can be reached at +xxxxxxxxx or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your time and consideration, I look forward to hearing from you.
Sample 4: “BCG cover letter”
“MONTH DAY, YEAR
NAME OF RECRUITER
TITLE OF RECRUITER
FIRM OFFICE ADDRESS
Dear Ms. LAST NAME and members of the BCG recruiting team,
Thank you for considering me for the position of Associate Consultant at BCG. If given the opportunity, I would bring to BCG my passion for results, drive and character, and ability to have a lasting impact, as the following outlines.
- Passion for Results: During a recent work-related project for COMPANY, I was placed in an innovative concept location for healthcare and lifestyle services, that had previously accounted for a monthly loss of $60,000 per month. I arrived as a transitionary replacement for the managing director with little time to adjust. Knowing that I had to turn around a loss-making business quickly, I began examining the most relevant products, services, costs and customers. After translating this analysis into a strategy, I convinced management through my presentation of recommendations to pursue a number of key steps in order to turn around the business. Three months later, we managed to create a business that generated $20,000 per month. Through the use of a structured analysis, combined with consistent execution of plans, I came to understand the value of an external consultant in a challenging business situation. Indeed, this project has motivated me to continue this type of result-driven work as a consultant at Bain & Company.
- Drive & Character: Before starting university, I worked as a paramedic in an ambulance, as part of Austrian mandatory civilian service. We worked in emergency teams, sometimes even throughout night shifts. This experience taught me a lot about first aid and human nature, and about working with colleagues amidst emergency situations. Moreover, I learned about my own performance, and how to stay calm and professional when it matters the most. Although handling emergencies became part of the daily business, I also developed professionally by performing services with great social impact, like taking care of disabled individuals several times a week. Regardless of the nature of the case, I learned to work diligently and always put the patient at the center of every action. As consulting also requires putting the interest of the client first at all times, I am confident that I can deliver value for Bain’s clients.
- Lasting Impact: At NAME OF UNIVERSITY, I was elected president of NAME OF ORGANIZATION, a residential community of internationally minded members with over 1000 members worldwide. Heading a board of six representatives, I developed valuable teamwork and delegation skills throughout our meetings. One day, a member of the board abruptly stopped communication. I saw it as my responsibility to ask for clarification and how I could support him. However, upon learning that his father had been diagnosed with cancer, I immediately and discreetly took steps to delegate his workflow to other board members and myself, so that he could focus on his family. As I led the other board members through a process of working overtime, we still managed to deliver results on time. This experience underlines my belief to always care for all members of a team and to be a leader by enabling them to perform.
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Sample 5: “BCG cover letter”
“MONTH DAY, YEAR
Dear [RECRUITER] and members of the BCG recruiting team,
Thank you for considering my application for Business Analyst at BCG. I am attracted to BCG because of the firm’s commitment to creating an unrivaled environment for exceptional people by developing one another through apprenticeship, mentoring, and sustaining a caring meritocracy.
Given the opportunity to join BCG, I would bring to the firm my entrepreneurial drive, problem-solving skills, and collaborative approach.
- Entrepreneurial drive: I was a scholarship athlete on the [UNIVERSITY] football team and was expected to arrive on campus a month before classes started. This reduced summer availability left me at a disadvantage for traditional summer internships, so I founded my own landscaping business. It was grassroots, and I conducted business relationships built on trust and relied on word of mouth. To ensure superb deliverables, I taught myself Google Sketchup to model my projects before building them. I learned about drainage and construction techniques using YouTube videos and manufacturer websites so that I could build retaining walls and outdoor structures. Using self-taught skills, I netted $30,000 in profit over the course of 3 summers which was a major source of funding for my education.
- Problem-solving: To increase the competitiveness of our off-season testing, the [UNIVERSITY] strength staff started an event called the “Tricolour Draft.” As a captain in this draft, I was responsible for drafting a team of my peers. Rather than relying on my perception of players, I took a more empirical approach. After seeking out the previous year’s testing numbers, I entered them into Excel and added projections for players who were new to the team. I was then able to rank all my teammates based on their average performance across all the tests. I drafted my team strictly according to the unbiased rankings on this list and let the opposing teams draft based on their subjective feelings. My team ended up winning the competition and, using the exact same approach, I won the following years Tricolour Draft as well.
- Collaborative: When I was 4, my parents took roles as expats and moved our family to Khartoum, Sudan. I went to an international school but lived among the locals. This resulted in a unique environment to grow up in and one where I developed some great relationships. One such relationship was with a company employed driver, for whom I was the best man at his wedding at the age of 7! I quickly realized that everyone, from my peers to the locals, brought something to the table. I learned that people from all walks of life possessed valuable perspective and input worth considering. This recognition of diversity and drive to collaborate has given me the skills to produce results on teams and to form meaningful relationships with people of varied backgrounds.
I hope to bring these same attributes to BCG. Thank you for your consideration.
Frequently Asked Questions: Samples of BCG cover letter
How do you write a consulting cover letter?
To write an excellent cover letter, your letter should answer the following:
- Why you?
- Why consulting?
- Why you want to work with the company.
What are the tips for writing a perfect cover letter?
- Keep it to one page.
- Avoid using a template.
- Start writing early.
- Use the correct grammar and proofread your work.
- Use standard format and font.
If you like this blog post, please leave your comments and questions below.