In this brief guide, we will be discussing: Clonotril; its uses, side effects, dosage, and other frequently asked questions such as, “is clonotril a sleeping pill?”, “why is clonotril prescribed?” and so on.
Clonotril 0.5 tablet refers to the name of a prescription drug that is mainly used to treat epilepsy (including absence seizures and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome) and anxiety disorder.
It helps in the regulation of the excessive and abnormal activity of the nerve cells and calms the brain. Clonotril is also known as an anticonvulsant or antiepileptic drug. It belongs to a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. The generic name of this drug is known as Clonazepam
Uses of Clonotril
Clonotril is primarily used to treat the conditions of epilepsy and anxiety disorder. Apart from these, clonotril is also prescribed for the treatment of many medical conditions which are as follows:
- Munchausen syndrome
- Periodic limb movement syndrome
- Sick building syndrome
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction
- Tuberous sclerosis
- Status epilepticus (prolonged or repeated fits without any recovery in between)
- Panic disorders (to relieve unpredictable and unexpected fear and tension that arises out of fear)
Benefits of clonotril (for anxiety disorder and epilepsy)
In the treatment of anxiety disorder
Clonotril 0.5 tablet helps you in managing anxiety disorder. clonotril when consumed, stops your brain from the release of those chemicals that causes you to be anxious that in turn reduces the symptoms of excessive worry and anxiety. Also, it helps in managing other symptoms such as restlessness, tiredness, inability to concentrate, irritability, and sleep problems that are often consequences of anxiety disorder
It enables you to engage in your daily activities more effectively by helping you to become more productive. However, the dodge has to be completed as per the doctor’s advice as a sudden stopping of the intake of this tablet can cause severe problems.
In the treatment of epilepsy (seizures)
Clonotril 0.5 is used to treat epilepsy (including absence seizures or Lennox-Gastaut syndrome) that refers to a brain disorder characterized by uncontrolled jerking movements and loss of consciousness.
This is achieved by slowing down the electrical waves in the brain that leads to fits or seizures. Also, it helps in reducing other associated symptoms such as uncontrollable jerky movements, enduring confusion, loss of awareness, and unexplained fear and anxiety. This tablet when consumed gives you the courage to pursue activities such as driving and swimming which you would be scared to do otherwise.
The dosage of clonotril has to be increased gradually and not at a go. Hence, it might take some time for the effects of this medicine to be evident. During this period, you may still encounter seizures. Skipping of doses will trigger more seizures.
Side Note: I grew this blog to over 500,000 monthly pageviews and it now finances our charitable missions. If you are looking to start a blog as a source of income or to help your community then view our how to start a blog guide.
The working of clonotril products.
Clonotril or clonazepam is a benzodiazepine. This drug works by increasing the action of a chemical messenger (GABA) which aids in suppressing the abnormal and excessive activities of the nerve cells situated in the brain.
The dosage depends upon certain important factors that have to be kept in mind before the consumption of this drug. They are as follows:
- Medical condition
- Weight (especially in children)
- Response to treatment
Make it a point to read the medication guide provided by the pharmacist before you start consuming clonotril and each time you get a refill. This tablet is usually prescribed by doctors 2 to 3 times, daily. It is consumed orally and any questions you might be having concerning the tablet should be asked to the doctor or pharmacist.
Older adults usually start with a lower dosage to avoid any kind of side effects. The dosage of the tablet should not be increased nor should it be consumed more than directed by the doctor without his/her knowledge. This medicine must be consumed regularly and at proper times to reap the benefits.
Suddenly stopping the course of this medication, without consulting the doctor can result in some serious problems. Certain situations can also become worse. Hence, the dosage of clonotril has to be decreased slowly. It can be taken with or before food. However, it is advisable to consume it at a fixed time.
When consumption of clonotril is suddenly stopped, there may occur a series of withdrawal symptoms which are as follows:
- Changes in mood/temperament
- Mental health issues such as anxiety, stress
- Shaking of the body.
- Stomach cramps
- Muscle cramps
Withdrawal is more likely to occur if you have used clonotril in high doses for a very long time. This is because when this medication is used for a very long time, it eventually stops working and the effects will not be observed anymore. In such a case, you have to inform your doctor/pharmacist right away.
Clonotril also carries the risk of addiction like many other drugs. The risk is higher if you suffer from substance use disorder (alcohol or drug addiction). This risk can be avoided by the intake of the tablet as prescribed by the doctor without changing the dosage in between.
In the case of several different types of seizure disorders, there are chances of experiencing aggravated seizures with the initial use of the tablet. It is best to consult your doctor immediately if this happens. They might adjust the dosage of your other medications to reduce the number of seizures.
Before consuming this medicine, a set of precautions has to be kept in mind that are given below:
- Make sure you are not allergic to the medication. (such as diazepam or lorazepam)
- Inform your doctor if you suffer from any other kind of allergies. This is because this product may contain certain inactive ingredients that could cause allergic reactions.
- Explain your medical history to your doctor daily and without missing important information.
- Inform your doctor if you suffer from any kind of eye problem (such as narrow eye glaucoma), blood disorder(such as porphyria), liver disease, kidney diseases, and breathing issues (such as asthma).
- Inform your doctor if you suffer from mental or psychological issues (such as mood disorder, depression, and suicidal ideations)
- Inform if you or anyone in your family suffers from substance use disorder that involves overuse or addiction to drugs or alcohol.
- Do not engage in any kind of activities that require mental alertness and focus of mind such as driving or using machinery as clonotril may cause you to feel dizzy or drowsy after its consumption.
- Inform your doctor if you regularly consume cannabis or marijuana.
- Older adults may be more prone to side effects such as confusion and drowsiness as they may suffer from other medical conditions. Hence, the dosage must be kept low initially.
- Try to avoid consumption during pregnancy as it may cause harm to the unborn child. This drug gets infused with breast milk and will have undesirable effects on the infant.
- This medication can cause problems in those patients who find it difficult to handle bodily secretions such as saliva. Clonotril can lead to a surge in salivation and this problem is especially seen in people with respiratory diseases.
The side effects of clonotril are varied and depend upon the dosage, the medical condition, and the general health of the individual. Some of the side effects are as given below:
- Drowsiness, dizziness, and tiredness
- Loss of awareness and coordination
- Increased saliva production.
- Since it is an anticonvulsant, some people may suffer from depression, suicidal thoughts/attempts, and mood disruptions/disorders.
- Unusual changes in thoughts or behavior including memory loss, severe confusion, and lack of focus.
- Allergic reactions may be swelling, itching, and rashes especially of the face, tongue, or throat.
- Trouble in breathing or other associated respiratory problems.
- Blurred vision or other related problems concerning the eye.
- Severe cramps or pain in body muscles.
- A decline in sexual activity as well as interest.
- Severe and uncontrollable nervousness, worry, or fear.
- Frequent urination
- Persistent lethargy, weakness of the body, and anxiety.
- Anemia, a decrease in white blood cells, and platelets.
- Vomiting, diarrhea, dry mouth, and abdominal discomfort
- Hair loss and skin problems
- Excessive sweating and burning eyes.
Interactions with other drugs
Drug interactions will change the working of your medication and may increase or decrease the side effects of the medication. Some products that may interact with clonotril include orlistat and sodium oxybate.
The risk of side effects of shallow breathing and severe dizziness may increase if this is taken with other medications which may cause breathing problems or drowsiness. Try avoiding consumption of products such as opioid pain or cough relievers. (codeine, hydrocodone).
Drugs that are prescribed for anxiety and sleep such as alprazolam or lorazepam could interact with clonotril. Hence, inform your doctor at the beginning itself.
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
In this brief guide, we discussed the drug: clonotril; its usage, side effects, precautions, benefits, and interaction with other drugs.
Is clonotril a sleeping pill?
No. clonotril 0.5 tablets cannot be used as a sleeping pill because it may cause difficulty in sleeping.
What is clonazepam given for?
Clonazepam is sometimes used alone and at other times used in combination with other medications to control different types of seizures and to treat anxiety disorder as well. It can also be used to relieve panic attacks. (sudden, unexpected fear or worry). Clonazepam or clonotril comes under the classification of benzodiazepines.
Is it ok to take clonazepam daily?
Clonazepam could be taken consumed at regular intervals daily. However, the dosage must be followed as per the instruction of your doctor and no changes should be made without further notice. The dosage usually depends upon your medical condition and response to treatment.
What does clonazepam do to your brain?
Clonazepam leads to an increase in a particular chemical in your brain that is responsible for calming you down. It reduces abnormal and undesired activities of your nerve cells in the brain.
This helps in relieving anxiety, reduce seizures and fits and relax tense muscles.
The most common side effect is drowsiness during the day.
Does clonazepam help depression?
Yes. clonazepam may be used for treatment-resistant or protracted depression. It can also be used to accelerate the process of response to conventional antidepressants.
Does clonazepam lower blood pressure?
Yes. clonazepam can reduce fluctuations in BP in 82% of the patients suffering from hypertension.
How long can you stay on clonazepam?
Most people will need to consume clonotril/clonazepam at least two to three times a day to get the desired effects. It usually reaches its peak concentration levels within one to two hours after administration.
However, the speed of absorption will vary from one person to another. The effects of the drug can last up to 12 hours.
Does clonazepam treat bipolar?
Yes. the research so far has indicated that clonazepam can be included in the treatment regimen of bipolar patients. It reduces the frequency of bipolar episodes over time.