Certificate in counselling skills
In this brief article, we will be discussing a certificate in counselling skills, how to earn a certificate in counselling skills, the things you need to learn to get a certificate in counselling skills, and more information about a certificate in counselling skills.
What is a certificate in counselling skills course?
A certificate in counselling skills course is a kind of online or face-to-face course to help you develop counselling skills for your social work jobs such as a teacher or a counsellor.
This kind of counselling course is authorized to make certificates that have been validated by governing bodies of counselling to let those students who took this counselling course obligated to have an experience and knowledge of counselling skills.
What will a certificate in counselling skills course cover?
The following are the topics covered in the certificate in counselling skills course:
• The theoretical approaches and practice of counselling technicalities
• Counselling skills and attitudes
• Establishment of intrapersonal and interpersonal awareness.
• Ethics and boundaries in the counselling relationship
• Short introduction to person-centred, cognitive-behavioural, psychodynamic and skilled helper models of counselling and how these kinds of counselling apply in the counselling room
You can learn more about the skills needed in counselling by buying this book on this website.
Aims of certificate in counselling skills course
This kind of counselling course allows students to apply and understand the needed skills that a counsellor will have in his or her career.
The following are the specific aims of this counselling course:
- Those beginning the first level of training as a professional counsellor
- Those who want to learn these kinds of skills in other professional or helping jobs
- Those who want to enhance their professional and personal relationships as part of personal improvement
This kind of counselling course can help people have the skills necessary for work that allows you to help people such as advocacy and mediation, health care work, and other helping and supportive roles.
This kind of counselling course can also help people who are already in these kinds of roles to improve their skills more.
How would you know if the certificate in counselling skills course is for you?
You will know if the certificate in counselling skills is for you when you know that these kinds of skills are not developed through how you score in exams but how you perceive people and taking care of them because you know that they are in need of help.
This kind of counselling course can help you flourish in your self-improvement and helping others who are in need of these services.
This kind of counselling course will emphasize the application of counselling approaches to your supportive roles in the world.
You can have these kinds of skills with the use of this course’s hands-on approach in learning these skills.
You can do this by doing activities such as role-play like you are in a counselling session and you need to attend group discussions to help improve your skills.
You can also deepen your understanding of counselling theories and you will learn how to apply them such as person-centred theory and psychodynamic theory.
This kind of counselling course is suitable for people who want to improve these kinds of skills and learn how to be a qualified counsellor.
This kind of counselling course will take 18 weeks to complete only on Thursdays.
This kind of counselling course can adjust to your personal schedules that you have to keep with your loved ones such as family trips or vacations with friends.
You can review this kind of counselling course by buying this book on this website.
Entry requirement for certificate in counselling skills course
Some websites who have this counselling course don’t require you to have previous experience or qualifications to join this course.
However, some websites who provide this course has been accredited by the ABC Awards.
This is an organization that has been providing counselling courses for 5 years.
This organization has even earned the level 3 standard of these courses.
You also need to finish a minimum of 30 hours for 3 years in counselling experience.
You also need to be able to understand and open up about yourself in English.
Some of these websites will need you to write about your counselling experiences and have some drafts about your work.
Fees and expenses for a certificate in counselling skills course
The cost of your counselling course will depend on the duration and quality of your training.
In recent years, diploma courses cost £2,200 to £3,000 annually.
Degrees from foundations cost £6,000 a year and master’s degrees cost between £12,000 and £15,000 based on the course provider.
You also need to take note of the following expenses that might have been calculated by these courses:
- supervision – when you start seeing and guiding clients, you’ll need frequent and ongoing supervision. Individual supervision costs differ from around £30 to £80 an hour, while group discussion supervision is around £20 an hour.
- personal therapy – some counselling courses anticipate students to be in therapy themselves. This therapy can cost between £40 and £80 per session you have attended.
- insurance – if you’re seeing clients, you should be covered by personal indemnity insurance as a health insurance. Some placement providers will cover you under their insurance but you should always find out about this coverage. Insurance can cost around £50 to £80 a year and some insurers provide discounts for BACP members which is an organization for counsellors and psychotherapists.
- BACP membership – your course instructors may join that you join this authorized body for counsellors or you may choose for yourself you want available to the group’s support and resources. You can also check out their website on student membership which you are eligible to apply
- books and stationery
- conferences and events
- travel and parking
- childcare – as counselling or psychotherapy is typically a second career, you may have a family to look after whilst you train in this counselling course
You can learn more about counselling in children if you are interested in pursuing counselling for children by buying this book on this website.
Different kinds of centres that offer counselling courses that can give you a certificate in counselling skills
The following are the different counselling courses that offer this kind of certificate.
City lit uses has a counselling course that is more central in person-centred counselling. This place is located at Holborn where you can address this counselling course in their location.
The level 3 foundation year is available in this centre where you need to write an application form and get involved in an individual or group interview.
You can apply for this course once you have finished an introductory course in counselling in this centre or another centre.
This course has group work and practical discussions that can help you apply your skills in a simulated counselling session.
You might need to have therapy yourself when you are going to move to the later years in this course.
- foundation: person-centred
- format: 30 weeks of engagement in this course once a week with some weekends
- price: lower
- future study with this centre: person-centred or integrative counselling diploma
- accreditation: none needed but complies with BACP framework
You can learn more about person-centred counselling by buying this book on this website.
MARY WARD CENTRE
Mary Ward Centre can give you a counselling course where you can be in a centralized setting with nature on your surroundings.
This counselling course will give you competition since you will be compared to other applicants to be eligible for this course
This centre will be anticipating you to have an experience with an introductory counselling course.
You will be able to learn in a counselling course that includes person-centred, CBT, and psychodynamic approaches.
Some have stated that this course is more on the psychodynamic counselling.
- foundation: integrative
- format: weekly
- price: average
- future study at this centre: level 4-6 integrative counselling diplomas
- accreditation: BACP.
What skills will I earn after a certificate in counselling skills course?
The following skills that you will earn after this kind of counselling course are:
• understand and explain the background, the underlying philosophy and core concepts of 3 core counselling theories
• Respond with enhanced congruence and an improved capacity for empathy and unconditional acceptance
• Appy counselling skills competently within a guiding climate organized by Rogers’ core conditions of counselling
• understand and explain the core concepts of person-centred, cognitive behavioural and psychodynamic theory for counselling
• understand and explain the distinctions between working as a counsellor and using counselling skills
• Apply the BACP ethical framework to ensure safe and ethical practice as a counselling skills practitioner
• Explain the methods in which individuals and groups experience discrimination and oppression
• Manifest openness to and acceptance of distinction and diversity in practice
• Think about your own assumptions, stigma, beliefs and values, and express respect for different perceptions, perspectives and cultures.
• Express enhanced awareness of self and self in connection with others.
• think about your self, your experiences and your relationships, and apply your reflective ability to increase your personal and professional development.
You can learn more about the ethics that should be applied in counselling sessions by buying this book here.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) after a certificate in counselling skills course
You may think that you should work in a specialized area in counselling after this counselling course.
This may obligate you to have extra training in that specialized area.
You might even start a private practice with your counselling skills.
As a professional counsellor, you are obligated to further your training as a counsellor.
Activities that will be done if you want to further your training in counselling are the following:
- professional education discussions, seminars and courses
- e-learning CPD platforms
- in-service training, work shadowing or teaching
- attending or presenting at psychological conferences and workshops
- committee work or attendance in special interest groups
- renewing your counselling knowledge through books, articles, TV, radio, internet
In this brief article, we have discussed a certificate in counselling skills, how to earn a certificate in counselling skills, the things you need to learn to get a certificate in counselling skills, and more information about a certificate in counselling skills.
If you have any questions about a certificate in counselling skills, please let us know and the team will gladly answer your queries.
theories such as Cognitive behavioural therapy which will help you live a more fulfilling life.
FAQs: certificate in counselling skills
What qualifications do you need to become a counsellor?
The qualifications you need to become a counsellor are acquiring a diploma in a postgraduate course in counselling or psychotherapy.
There are undergraduate courses that provide counselling integrated with other subjects such as psychology, criminology or sociology.
You should also find this kind of course with practical counselling skills and supervised placements.
What are the counselling skills?
The counselling skills are attending, reflecting and paraphrasing, silence, clarifying by using questions, developing rapport with the client, focus on the session, making early intervention for the client possible, and summarising the counselling session.
What can you do with level 2 counselling?
With a level 2 counselling, you can be employed in a role where you can guide and help others such as health and social care work, advocacy and mediation, teaching and learning, support and project work, and other jobs that can let you help others.
How do I become a NHS counsellor?
You can become an NHS counsellor if you have a counselling qualification in a recognized institution.
You can have a degree in an undergraduate course or a postgraduate course.
You can be a counsellor in this kind of service with these kinds of qualifications and be able to work for full-time or part-time.
Some organisations may refer you as a counsellor in this kind of service.
Can I be a counsellor without a degree?
No, you can’t be a counsellor without a degree.
This kind of situation only shows that you are not credible for this kind of job.
You have to get at least a degree on level 4 counselling which is already part in the master’s program for counselling.
BACP. Training to become a counsellor or psychotherapist.
Citylit. Certificate in counselling skills.
CPCAB. Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills (CSK-L2).
Harley Therapy Counselling Blog. Counselling Courses in London – What One to Take?.
LSBU. Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills (CPCAB).