This article will explain how you can request a certain therapist on the online mental health platform. It will also explain the standard way of how a client is matched with a therapist for counseling services. Furthermore, the article will talk about Betterhelp’s policies with regards to the service providers on its platforms and what they recommend when it comes to being paired with a therapist. The article will also cite reasons as to why you may want to change a counselor and services your counselor must provide to you.
Can You Request A Therapist On Betterhelp?
Yes you can request a therapist or counselor on Betterhelp according to your needs and preferences apart from the standard way of being matched with one that the platform carries out.
To choose your own therapist you can follow the 5 steps explained below:
- The Link: Visit Betterhelps online mental health platform by clicking here
- Find A Therapist: Go all the way down on their main webpage and take a look at the footer. You will see some phrases and terms; choose ‘Find A Therapist’ by clicking on it. It is written in a lighter font hence you might miss it so look closely.
- Enter Your State: You need to choose your state so that Betterhelp can provide options on what therapists accordingly. The site matches you with therapists in your state; that is their first preference. In case you are not residing in the states you will be provided a therapist on the basis of your preferences.
- Counselor Options: The website will now show you a list of available counselors that you can choose from. These individuals are licensed professionals who are allowed to practice and are approved by your state board.
- Choose The One: You must now choose from a list of 20 counselors the website provides to you. It is important to mention that you will only be given 20 options however, if you refresh the page you will be led to new options. This is a tip we have for you! On this page you will be able to read the profile of each counselor and choose the one that seems suitable.
You can also change your counselor while being a client of the online platform. It is an easy process that entails 3 steps:
- Press Change Counselor: While logged into your account, look for the option that says ‘Change Counselor’. This redirects you to another page that shows a number of options that you can choose from; basically it shows you profiles of new counselors available for having sessions with you.
- The Options: You will only be shown the profiles of 6 counselors on this new page however their profile will be more detailed. For example, they will show you at what times a counselor is usually available. Again, you can refresh the page and see new options.
- Choose The Best One: Keeping in mind your preferences, schedules and the profile of the counselors available, choose the one that suits you the best. You will then be matched with that counselor and you can start your sessions.
You Can’t Change Your Counselor – Contact Betterhelp
What happens if you can’t choose a counselor of your choice when logged in as a client? There are a number of options you can choose from to either change your counselor or choose one of your preferences despite the fact Betterhelp encourages a system where they place you with the counselor based on the intake form they have you fill out before registering with them!
In case you are not able to find or access the ‘Change Counselor’ option within your account, you can also use the following options:
- Call them at 888-688-9296 and ensure you have your personal and account information to verify you are a Betterhelp client as well as details of your request which may include why you want to change a counselor, any details pertaining to conduct of the counselor and the counselor you want to be placed with if any.
- You can fill out their contact forms available at their website. You will have to provide your name, email address and choose the correct option that will inform the company of your reason for reaching out to them.
- Reach Out: It is necessary to contact the company to inform them of your complaint/request/concern The correct way to contact them is by sending them a thorough email of the issue at firstname.lastname@example.org. You must provide them with your account details so they can process your request keeping in view your account activity and also put forth your demand for a new counselor.
Why Choose Your Own Counselor?
You may have had issues with the previous one so now you want to choose one yourself! There are a number of reasons behind this which we will explore in this section.
There are a number of reasons why someone would want to change their counselor such as:
- Inappropriate Behavior
- Lack of Interest
- No Compatibility
- Prefer Another Counselor
It is important that clients be aware of any inappropriate behavior the counselors may partake in. This can extend to but is not limited to sexual remarks, racism, making uncomfortable or rude comments, requesting for inappropriate material, extending sessions to spend more time with the client for irrelevant reasons, delaying sessions and/or talking in a condescending manner.
Such behaviors are not only red flags but they can seriously harm the client in terms of their emotional or mental health. The client can end up in dangerous situations such as blackmailing or a victim of cyber crime if the situation is more serious than described. Hence, as soon as a client feels uncomfortable, threatened or fearful they should not only report the counselor but change them as soon as possible and request your own therapist!
Counselors at Betterhelp are indeed busy. They are not only counselors who work in the online world but often take part in full or part time jobs in the real world. They also have a number of other tasks to tend including many other patients.
Sometimes the workload becomes so much that your counselor may not be able to provide quality services; they may miss sessions, not seem focused or forget about important things discussed previously and which are important for future sessions. Keeping this in mind, the client may be suffering because it is they who have taken charge and are guiding the counselor instead of the counselor guiding the client.
Due to such experiences, the client may desire to change their counselor and find someone who is more responsible and is actually available to provide good services.
Lack of Interest
It is possible that a client may not have a good or satisfactory experience with a counselor. They may be looking forward to the entire experience but not get a good response from their service provider – maybe he isn’t as excited or interested in the session and this may cause the client to feel neglected. This may make the client feel upset, hurt or even angry.
Compatibility is not just important in your personal relationships but also in your professional relationships. If you do not get along with the person who you are working with then it becomes hard to agree or move forward along a certain path. You both will disagree on little issues and gain no progress at all. Apart from that, much stress will arise by interacting with your work partner.
This is not how it should be with the client and counselor relation. The counselor needs to be someone who is like a mentor who is wise and knowledgeable and possibly there to guide the client. However, if this is not the case and the client feels angry or upset or a session with their counselor then they should consider changing them. Compatibility is important so do not ignore it.
Prefer Another Counselor
Sometimes there is nothing wrong with one’s counselor but you just think someone else might be able to help you even better. At Betterhelp, you can swipe through the profiles of many counselors available online and in some cases the client may just want to try someone else!
The article pointed out various methods of how you can request a therapist or counselor when you first start out as a new and fresh client or even when you are an existing one. It also explained various reasons why you may want to end sessions with your current counselor and request a new one based on your own choice.