In this guide, we will discuss if you can crush Kalms tablets, the main ingredients and others that may be included, what are Kalms tablets and what are they used for, who shouldn’t take them, possible interactions with other drugs, how to take them, what happens if you take more than the recommended dose and additional considerations.
Can you crush Kalms tablets?
As a general recommendation from the NHS, you should not chew, crush or break tablets or pills, or open and empty powder out of capsules, unless your GP or another healthcare professional has indicated to do so.
Some tablets, pills, and capsules can stop working properly if they are crushed or open.
In addition, they are thought to be swallowed whole because they are designed to release the medicine slowly into your body and if you crush them it could cause an overdose.
Even though Kalms tablets are considered a natural herbal remedy it is important to follow the instructions from the leaflet or consult it with your doctor if it is OK to crush them instead of swallowing since their effect can be reduced.
Here at Holland & Barrett you will find the Best Herbal Remedies.
Kalms Day Ingredients
There are 4 types of Klams but here we will include the ingredients of the ‘Kalms Day’ tablets.
To see the other versions and their ingredients you can see them here.
According to the Kalms Day patient leaflet, here are the ingredients:
- 33.75mg of extract (as dry extract) from Valerian root (Valeriana officinalis L.) (equivalent to 135 to 167mg of Valerian root) Extraction solvent: Ethanol 60%v/v
The other ingredients are:
- Extract: Maltodextrin, Colloidal Anhydrous Silica.
- Core: Hops Extract, Acacia (Spray-dried), Icing Sugar, Magnesium Stearate, Maize Starch, Colloidal Anhydrous Silica, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Stearic Acid.
- Coating: Acacia (Spray-dried), Calcium Carbonate (Light), Carnauba Wax, Mastercote White SP0950G, Talc, Sucrose, Titanium Dioxide E171, Yellow Beeswax.
What are Kalms tablets?
According to the patient leaflet “Kalms contains Hops, Valerian root, and Gentian root and is a traditional herbal medicinal product used for the temporary relief of symptoms associated with stress such as mild anxiety and irritability including symptoms associated with menopause such as flushings and cold sweats and for the temporary relief of sleep disturbances, based on traditional use only.”
However, before you decide to take Kalms consider the following:
- If you are allergic or you suspect you may be allergic to any of the ingredients we have mentioned, do not take Kalms and talk to your physician.
- Do not take Kalms if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You are under the age of 18.
- If you are taking medicine for sleep and/or anxiety avoid using Kalms.
Types of Kalms
There are a variety of Kalms products such as:
- Kalms Night One-A-Night
- Kalms Night
- Kalms Day
- Kalms Lavender One-A-Day Capsules
Consequently, depending on the type of Kalms tablets you are considering taking, ingredients may vary but the main active component (Valerian Root) stays the same. If you like lavender, you should try the best lavender teas for anxiety.
What is anxiety?
Even though anxiety is considered normal and part of our lives, experiencing it at higher levels than usual or feeling too overwhelmed or unable to cope with it can actually result in a significant impact in our daily activities.
Anxiety can have different root causes which can vary from one person to the other, but here are some of the most common:
- Your current life situation or certain specific events you have gone through recently.
- Childhood experiences such as trauma, being abused, a death in the family.
- Having a medical condition or suffering from chronic illnesses.
- Having a mental health illness such as depression or having phobias.
- Certain medications and substances can exacerbate anxiety symptoms.
Can I use Kalms while using other medicine?
It is not recommended to start taking Kalms if you are taking prescribed or over the counter medicines.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacists first if you have started or you have been taking other medicines.
Moreover, it is important to consider that Kalms contains sucrose and if you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, consult with them before starting to take the tablets.
How to take Kalms Tablets
For the temporary relief of the symptoms of stress, mild anxiety, and irritability including symptoms associated with menopause such as flushings and cold sweats:
- Adults and the elderly: Take 2 tablets twice a day after meals plus 3 tablets at bedtime. For the temporary relief of sleep disturbances
- Adults and the elderly: Take 2 tablets 30-60 minutes before bedtime. One additional tablet can be taken earlier during the evening if necessary.
The tablets should be swallowed whole with some water or other liquid, also the use in children and adolescents under 18 years of age is not recommended.
The maximum daily dose is 6 tablets and as the effects of this product may not occur immediately, the tablets should be taken continuously for 2-4 weeks.
If symptoms worsen or do not improve after 4 weeks, a doctor or a qualified healthcare practitioner should be consulted.
In addition, consider that the specifications on how to take Kalms may vary from one presentation to the other so make sure you check the box or the leaflet included for additional instructions.
Here is a list of the best Kalms range of products for anxiety.
What happens if I take more Kalms than I should?
If you take too many tablets at once or more than the recommended amount, consult with your doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner as soon as possible.
In addition, if you forget to take one dose, do not attempt to take two at the same time to make up for the missed dose.
Valerian possible side effects
Everyone can react differently to the use of Kalms and especially to the main ingredient, Valerian Root, but it is important to consider the possible side effects.
Here are some of them:
- Upset stomach
- Thinking problems
- Dry mouth
- Feeling excited or uneasy
- Strange dreams
- Daytime drowsiness
Even though not everyone gets to experience the side effects, be aware you might and if it is the case, pay attention to them.
If the symptoms get worse seek immediate medical attention.
Recommendations to store Kalms tablets
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- Do not take Kalms tablets after the expiry date which is stated on the packaging.
- Do not store above 25ºC.
- Store in the original package.
What Kalms tablets look like and contents of the pack
Kalms tablets are white circular sugar-coated tablets. They are available in amber glass
bottles containing 100 or 200 tablets. Kalms tablets are also available in blister packs
containing 84 tablets.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in the leaflet.
You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow
Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
Why is this blog about Can you crush Kalms tablets important?
This blog about ‘Can you crush Kalms tablets?’ is important if you are considering starting to take Kalms due to anxiety, stress, or due to sleeping problems.
However, consider that crushing the tablet instead of swallowing it can be harmful to your health or may reduce its intended effect.
In addition, consider the information in the leaflet about how to take Kalms, when, who should refrain from taking it, and even some of the possible side effects.
Talk to your doctor if you have any doubts or you think you might be allergic to any of the components.
Please feel free to leave any comments or thoughts about the content of this article!
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Can you crush Kalms tablets
Can film-coated tablets be crushed?
Film-coated tablets are intended to make it taste a bit better.
Crushing the tablet may make them taste very unpleasant and additionally, they shouldn’t be crushed since it could release the medicine all at once which may be harmful.
What happens if you chew a pill that is supposed to be swallowed?
If you chew a pill that is supposed to be swallowed, or if the capsules are opened before you swallow them, the medicine may get into the body too fast, which is said to cause harm.
According to consumersafety.org “Chewing it breaks down the formulation, causing unintended absorption all at once.
This leads to blood levels that are too high, which may be intolerable to some.”
Do Kalms tablets work for anxiety?
Kalms tablets are said to help relieve mild anxiety symptoms, irritability and stress.
This is a natural herbal remedy that is also used as a sleeping aid.
Are Kalms dangerous?
Kalms are not considered dangerous but if you have certain medical conditions such as liver disease, refrain from taking Kalms due to the valerian.
In addition, remember that Kalms can make you feel drowsy so avoid driving or operating any machinery since it can be potentially dangerous.
Can you take Kalms and drive?
It is not recommended to take Kalms before driving or operating heavy machinery since one of the effects of the tablets is drowsiness, so it can be dangerous.
What we recommend for curbing Anxiety
Below are some of the services and products we recommend for anxiety
- Anxiety Weighted Blankets are by far the number 1 thing every person who suffers from anxiety should at least try. Anxiety Blankets may improve your sleep, allow you to fall asleep faster and you can even carry them around when chilling at home.
- Online therapy is another thing we should all try. We highly recommend Online therapy with a provider who not only provides therapy but a complete mental health toolbox to help your wellness.
- With over 50,000 participants, this anxiety course may be just what you need to regain control of your life.
- Amber light therapy from Amber lights could increase the melatonin production in your body and help you sleep better at night. An Amber light lamp helps reduce the amount of time it takes you to fall asleep and increases overall sleep quality.
Nhs.uk: “Can I crush medicines before taking them?”
Patient Information Leaflet (can be found here)
Drugs.com: “Kalms TABLETS”
Chemist-4-u.com: “Kalms Day – 84 Tablets”
Everydayhealth.com: “What Is Valerian Root?”