In this blog post, we are going to answer the question, “Can I take prozac at night?”. Prozac is an antidepressant which is used to treat a variety of mental health conditions.
It is usually prescribed to take once everyday, but it can be taken twice depending on your dose and the severity of your symptoms. This blog will cover 3 important benefits of taking your prozac at night.
Can I take prozac at night?
Yes, you can take prozac at night if it causes side effects like drowsiness, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, or loss of appetite. Prozac, brand name for fluoxetine, belongs to the class of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
These meds inhibit the reuptake of serotonin by blocking serotonin transporters (SERT). This results in increased amounts of serotonin in your body.
This increased serotonin then binds to its receptors present throughout the body and causes a number of beneficial as well as unwanted effects. It is impossible to predict how your body reacts to this antidepressant, as the effects are unique to every other individual.
As far as the timing at which you take your med is concerned, it should be determined by your healthcare professional in accordance with your side effects.
3 reasons why you should take your Prozac at night
It’s best to take your antidepressant at night if you suffer from the following side effects:
If prozac makes you drowsy, it’s better to take it at night. In this way you can avoid getting sleepy during the day time.
Antidepressant associated drowsiness is more common in other classes of antidepressants, such as Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) etc.
However, prozac can also produce enough drowsiness to ruin your daytime activities. If you’re taking it in the morning, it is recommended to switch it to night. While you’re suffering from prozac induced daytime tiredness, make sure you avoid the following activities:
- Do not drive when you’re feeling tired or drowsy. Driving requires your full physical and mental alertness and it’s in your best interest to avoid it when you’re tired and have low energy levels.
- If you’re an employee in some factory where you are supposed to operate heavy machinery, don’t! Your drowsiness might cause an accident and can make you or others around you severely injured.
- Make sure you’re not taking any other medication that might be contributing to your drowsiness. Do not drink alcohol, or you’ll end up dulling your senses even more.
Prozac is known to trigger nausea, as well as vomiting, diarrhoea and loss of appetite. This is because high serotonin levels can be overwhelming for your stomach. In such conditions, it is best to take prozac at night, in order to avoid such side effects.
Loss of appetite
Prozac is also associated with loss of appetite which may make it difficult for you to consume enough calories that are required to sustain your normal bodily functions.
This is why it is recommended to take your Prozac at night, which will help to tone down your loss of appetite during the daytime, when you actually eat.
Reasons to not take Prozac in the morning
Some side effects associated with prozac make your night time quite unbearable. It is best to switch your antidepressant from night to morning, if it causes following side effects:
Some SSRIs, including prozac, tend to decrease your sleep quality and can cause insomnia. If your antidepressant is keeping you up all night and making it difficult for you to fall asleep, it’s best to take it in the morning.
This way, the effects of the drug will be minimal when you go to bed. Hence, you will experience less sleep disturbance.
Prozac can cause frequent urination as well as urinary incontinence in children and adolescents. In this case, it’s best to take prozac in the morning to avoid bedwetting.
If prozac makes you go through sexual issues, such as low libido, erectile dysfunction, or inability to ejaculate, it is extremely important to set an appropriate time to take you medication.
Studies suggest it’s best to counteract sexual side effects by taking antidepressant after the time you usually spend being sexually active. This means that you can take prozac early in the morning which can help you to avoid sexual side effects at night.
Upsides of Prozac
- Prozac is used to treat mild to severe episodes of depression.
- It is also used to treat symptoms associated with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).
- It is also used to tone down the intensity and frequency of panic attacks.
- It is also used to treat eating disorders like bulimia nervosa.
Prozac is also used to treat certain health conditions off-label. These include:
- It can be used to treat generalised anxiety disorder (GAD).
- It can also be used to tone down the severity of migraine headaches and can also be used to treat erectile dysfunction.
- It can also be used to treat the pain associated with diabetic neuropathy and fibromyalgia.
Downsides of Prozac
Common side effects of prozac include:
- Skin rash
- Muscular pain
- Joint pain
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of sexual desire
Prozac is also associated with some serious side effects, which often require immediate medical attention. These include:
- Allergic reaction associated with symptoms like redness of skin, itching, burning sensation, blisters, blue-purple patches, tightness of chest, wheezing, difficulty in breathing, hoarseness etc.
- Dark grey-brown colored vomiting
- Tarry or bloody stools
- Eye problems including pain, swelling, redness, vision changes etc.
- Abnormal mood changes including, excitement following by sudden sadness, erratic behaviour, paranoia etc
- Kidney function abnormalities, including severe pain, elevation of serum creatinine, difference in urine output and colour, blood urea nitrogen levels etc.
- Suicidal behavior
- Excessive muscle tremors
What happens if you accidentally overdose on your prozac?
If you have overdosed on prozac, the severity of side effects depend on the dose you took and your tolerance level. If the dose is low, you will surely suffer from side effects, but they would be somehow manageable.
If high doses are consumed, it can cause serious complications. Make sure you report to your healthcare provider as soon as you can and properly inform them how much dose you have taken and when. The side effects associated with prozac overdose include:
- Unconsciousness or coma
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Insomnia or poor quality of sleep
- Arrhythmia or irregular heartbeat
- Nausea and vomiting
It is important to monitor your dose closely. Do not deviate from the prescribed dose. Do not drink alcohol while you’re on antidepressants. The combination can make your symptoms or your side effects even worse. Cut back as much as you can.
If you have missed the dose and you’re way past the usual time at which you take your med, do not take it. It will cause you to overdose when you take your next dose, which is not too far away.
It’s better to skip the missed dose and take the next one. If you remember your missed dose earlier, it’s safe for you to take it.
When to call your doctor
In case you experience any unusual side effect, report to your healthcare provider as soon as you can. Not every side effect goes away on its own. It’s best to consult your doctor and make sure your side effects do not require urgent treatment.
If you wish to change the time at which you take your med, discuss the best switching strategy with your doctor. It is not recommended to change your dose or time without medical guidance.
If you wish to shift from morning to night, it is recommended to skip your morning dose and take it at night instead, from where you can continue taking it at night.
If you wish to shift from night to morning, it is recommended to skip your night dose and take it in the following morning, from where you can continue taking Prozac every morning. Try to take your med at the same time everyday in order to have a perfect gap between the two doses.
In this blog, we have discussed the benefits of taking Prozac at night. It is recommended to use prozac in accordance with your side effects. If it causes insomnia, sexual issues or urinary problems, take it in the morning as these side effects will be more pronounced at night.
If prozac causes drowsiness or nausea, take it at night. Although, it’s best to discuss your symptoms with your healthcare professional and follow his advice. Always report unusual side effects. Do not just sit back and wait for them to go away on their own.
FAQs: Can I take prozac at night
Should you take Prozac at night or in the morning?
You should take prozac according to the side effects it causes in your:
- If it causes insomnia, morning is preferred.
- If it causes drowsiness, night time is preferred.
- If it causes nausea, night time is preferred.
- If it causes urinary problems, morning is preferred.
- If it causes loss of libido, morning is preferred.
- If it causes loss of appetite, bedtime is preferred.
Will Prozac keep me up at night?
Prozac may cause insomnia, especially during the first few weeks of your treatment. However, this side effect will begin to subside within 2 to 3 weeks of treatment. Just make sure you take your med properly and give your body enough time to adjust to it.
What does Prozac feel like when it starts working?
Prozac may start to make your physical symptoms associated with depression a little better. However, it can take up to 4 to 6 weeks to start making your psychological symptoms better.
You may also experience a few side effects, which may start right after you take your first ever dose, but these side effects begin to subside within 2 to 3 weeks of treatment.
Is Prozac stronger than Zoloft?
Both prozac and zoloft are approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of depression and some other mental conditions. Both of these are strong drugs, but a few studies indicate that Zoloft might be safer than prozac in terms of side effects.
Does your brain go back to normal after antidepressants?
Your brain does go back to normal after you stop using antidepressants, but it takes time and this time taken depends on the duration of your antidepressant therapy. It could take up to 10 months to go back to your normal serotonin levels, after long-term antidepressant therapy.
Can Prozac change your personality?
Prozac can fix your personality if your depression or anxiety have caused any damage to it. When your antidepressant starts to kick in, it makes you feel better and tones down the symptoms associated with your mental health condition, which helps you interact better with your surroundings.
- James M. Ferguson, M.D. – SSRI Antidepressant Medications: Adverse Effects and Tolerability https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC181155/
- Prozac oral https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6997/prozac-oral/details
- P Brambilla (2005) – Side-effect profile of fluoxetine in comparison with other SSRIs, tricyclic and newer antidepressants: a meta-analysis of clinical trial data https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15744630/