Can BetterHelp be useful for BPD? (+5 pros of BetterHelp)
This blogpost will describe if BetterHelp can be useful for BPD or Borderline Personality Disorder. We shall also discuss the various symptoms of this mental illness. Lastly, we will take a look at how BetterHelp in particular can help those who are seeking online therapy. Online therapy can be useful for a variety of mental illnesses, like BPD, Depression, Anxiety, etc.
Can BetterHelp be useful for BPD?
Yes, BetterHelp can be very useful for those who have BPD or Borderline Personality Disorder. This disorder makes the person feel highly imbalanced and even very sensitive to minute things and thus they may have emotional outbursts often. BetterHelp brings affordable as well as easily accessible therapy to those with BPD and thus is invaluable.
Symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder
While Borderline Personality Disorder can manifest itself in different ways in different people, there are many common symptoms. The most common symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder have been discussed in this section:
The mood swings experienced by those who have BPD are not your typical everyday mood swings caused due to hunger pangs or any other reason. These mood swings are often extreme and thus the person may be too happy at one time and extremely sad at the very next moment. They can also express high levels of emotions for very small things.
Those who have Borderline Personality Disorder may often demonstrate reckless behaviors such as driving at very high-speeds or even having unsafe sex. These can also be demonstrated as expensive shopping sprees. Many times these reckless behaviors can cause physical harm to the person and may even endanger their very lives.
Persons who have BPD also face relationship problems. This is not only reserved to romantic relationships, but also applies to friendships, sibling relationships and relationships with parents and children. They often experience intense emotions with the person that can be positive or negative and thus people who are close may also experience a lot of stress and frustration.
Those who have Borderline Personality Disorder may also have many self-harming behaviors such as cutting, head-banging or even suicidal attempts. The reckless behaviors can also constitute self-harming if the intention is to endanger one’s own life. Many of these behaviors are in response to rejection or abandonment by a close friend or romantic partner.
They are also at a risk of severe depression and anxiety. Those living with Borderline Personality Disorder may often experience emptiness and very self-worth and self-esteem. And thus, they often have a comorbidity of depression which can lead to a further decline in the mental health status of the person.
Fear of abandonment
A fear of abandonment is another common symptom in those persons who have BPD. This is one of the most characteristic symptoms and often negatively affects all their relationships. The person may feel that those who are close to them may leave them at any moment and thus make extreme gestures or have violent outbursts in order to prevent that from happening.
Feelings of paranoia
Paranoia is also quite common among persons with Borderline Personality Disorder. They may often experience disconnect with reality which can last for hours together. This is called dissociation and leaves the person feeling spaced out as if they are no longer connected with their body due to high levels of stress.
How can BetterHelp help?
BetterHelp can be of great use to not only those who have BPD but many other mental illnesses. Some ways through which BetterHelp can be an advantage to its clients have been described as follows:
- BetterHelp offers very affordable therapy options while compared to in-person therapy or traditional therapy. In addition to this, the platform also provides financial assistance to those who are finding affordability an issue here. The financial assistance or aid can be availed by those who are unemployed, furloughed, disabled and even by veterans.
- The platform can be used from anywhere and everywhere according to the convenience of the user since it operates completely digitally. BetterHelp can be used through a web browser or even downloaded and installed as an app on a smart device and thus the client can access their therapist all the time.
- The platform also offers several formats of therapy that clients can choose from according to their needs and preferences. BetterHelp offers unlimited messaging as text, audio messages and video messages. It also has live chats, live audio sessions and live video sessions, thus bringing a lot of convenience and flexibility to the client.
- BetterHelp has a large network of therapists who are ever-present to cater to the mental health needs of almost two million users. The platform uses a smart algorithm to bring a better match between the client and the therapist. The clients are also free to switch therapists or search for the preferred professional in the platform’s directory.
- BetterHelp additionally has many other resources such as digital worksheets and online journals that can be used during the live session or outside of it. The platform further provides couples therapy, teens therapy and even group therapy sessions held once a week.
This blogpost has described if BetterHelp can be useful for BPD or Borderline Personality Disorder. We have also discussed the various symptoms of this mental illness. Lastly, we have taken a look at how BetterHelp in particular can help those who are seeking online therapy.
If you like this blogpost, please leave your comments and questions below.