You can answer the question if you are retarded by reading this article if some causes or behaviours might apply to you. Clinicians tend to miss out on what it means to be retarded.
Some clinicians would see the physical appearance of the suspected person but this is not always the case. Some clinicians would check the background of the suspected person such as the genetic history and some brain scans that have been done with the suspected person which is alright but this is lacking in some diagnostic tools.
Clinicians can do some assessments and some interviews with the family members of the suspected person to verify if the person is acting retarded. This kind of condition tends to occur in childhood first but some can have this kind of condition in the adult years.
People also like taking the ‘Am i intelligent’ quiz.
This mental retardation can occur in 2 to 3 per cent of the population. This does not occur in most people.
This doesn’t mean that there is no need to get them treatment. You shouldn’t also stick to common facts about people who are mentally retarded since there are more characteristics than meets the eye.
The following are symptoms of this condition:
- Slow in all areas as reported
- Observable delays, especially in speech as observed
- Marked and obvious delays and may walk late as observed in childhood
- Marked delays in all areas as observed
- May have no atypical physical signs as observed
- May have some atypical physical signs
- Little or no communication skills but may have some comprehension of speech and show some response as reported
- Congenital abnormalities are typically present as observed
- Can have practical skills as observed
- Can learn simple communication as observed
- May be taught daily routines and repetitive activities as observed
- Need close supervision as observed
- Useful reading and math skills up to grades 3 to 6 level as observed
- Can learn elementary health and safety habits as observed
- May be trained in simple self-care as observed
- Typically need attendant care as observed
- Can conform socially as observed
- Can participate in simple activities and self-care as observed
- Need direction and supervision as observed
- May respond to typical physical activity and social stimulation as observed
- Can acquire vocational skills for self-maintenance as observed
- Can perform tasks in sheltered conditions as observed
- Not capable of self-care as observed
- Integrated into general society after treatment
- Can travel alone to familiar places after treatment
There might also be additional complications such as hearing difficulties and speech difficulties. You will need to get some thorough assessment from the clinician.
There are different causes of why the person has this condition. One of them is the existence of several physical conditions that can make the person retarded after birth.
This can occur when the mother has engaged in unhealthy behaviours before the child’s birth such as smoking or drinking alcohol while pregnant. There might also be genetic disorders where chromosomes are more than children should have which can make some physical manifestations in some children who have mental retardation.
The clinician can find out about the cause of the mental condition after finding out the person’s personal history. There are also environmental circumstances that can cause this mental condition in children such as neglecting the child from learning or giving improper diet to the child.
The diagnosis of this mental condition will come from the screening tests and interviews done by the clinician. Screening tests can be brain scans, psychological tests, and some activities that the child can do to see the aspect that makes him or her have this mental condition.
There will also be physical examinations where the history of the mental condition will be found whether it comes from a genetic disorder or a physical disorder. The clinician will be asking the parents how the affected child acts at home or at school.
This can help the clinician know if the child really has this mental condition with this multiple data gathering where there is a certainty that the child may have this mental condition or not.
Evaluation and Referrals For Mental Retardation
After the evaluation, the clinician can assess if the child needs further assessment on the problem. This can help the child get the proper treatment since the main condition is found and it will be treated to delete the cause and the condition.
The following are suggestion indications for tests when mental retardation is unexplained from the affected child:
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the brain for the affected child
- Cerebral palsy or motor asymmetry in the affected child
- Abnormal head size or shape in the affected child
- Craniofacial malformation
- Loss or plateau of developmental skills in the affected child
- Multiple somatic anomalies in the affected child
- Neurocutaneous findings
- Cytogenetic studies
- Multiple (even minor) somatic anomalies in affected children
- Family history of mental retardation in the affected child
- Family history of fetal loss in the affected child
- Skin pigment anomalies (mosaicism) in the affected child
- Suspected contiguous gene syndromes (e.g., Prader-Willi, Angelman, Smith-Magenis) in the affected child
- Metabolic studies
- Episodic vomiting or lethargy in the affected child
- Poor growth
- Unusual body odours in the affected child
- Somatic evidence of storage disease in the affected child
- Loss or plateau of developmental skills in the affected child
- Movement disorder(choreoathetosis, dystonia, ataxia) in the affected child
- Sensory loss (especially retinal abnormality) in the affected child
- Acquired cutaneous disorders in the affected child
Parents can also choose to seek a second opinion since this mental condition can’t be easily diagnosed by most clinicians. There is also a need to seek other medical professionals that can help assess if the child really has this mental condition.
This can help parents make sure that their child is diagnosed to get the proper treatment he or she deserves.
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
Am I Retarded? Test
This test will answer the question if you are retarded or not according to your intelligence. This kind of diagnosis can only be fulfilled once it is complete with the behavioural analysis made by the clinician to you.
Instructions: The following questions will imply if you are retarded or not based on your intelligence result. Please read the following questions carefully and choose the choice that applies to you.
What is the colour yellow?
- Green – 1
- Duck – 1
- Yellow – 0
You see a person dying on the floor after getting shot, what would you do?
- Laugh – 1
- Call the cops – 0
- Think of food – 1
A TV is made to ____ you?
- Talk to – 1
- Befriend – 1
- Entertain – 0
How many balloons are there in the picture?
- 12 – 1
- 16 – 1
- 17 – 0
What is (2 X 2) + 2?
- 4 – 1
- 6 – 0
- 2 – 1
What does a watch do?
- Talk to me – 1
- Call someone – 1
- Know the time – 0
What does the yellow light mean in a traffic light?
- Stop – 1
- Go – 1
- Slow down – 0
Do you know where you live?
- Yes – 0
- No – 1
What is the lane you will be passing through when you are walking down the street?
- Pedestrian lane – 0
- Merry lane – 1
- Passenger’s lane – 1
What is the number after 1,000?
- 1,001 – 0
- 100,000 – 1
- 2,000 – 1
Total scoring criteria:
6 – 10 points – retarded
0 – 5 points – not retarded
American Family Physician. Identification and Evaluation of Mental Retardation.