What is adolescent and youth counselling?
The current blogpost will be based on the question “What is adolescent and youth counselling?”. We will discuss the various aspects related to adolescent and youth counseling. We will also learn the advantages of adolescent and youth counseling along the stigmas associated with adolescent and youth counseling.
What is adolescent and youth counselling?
Adolescent and youth counseling is based on the aim of providing an opportunity to get connected with their unresolved issues in life. It is focused at providing the youth with opportunities to make sense of their underlying thoughts, feelings and behaviors that can help them make a difference in life and overcome their barriers to a productive life.
Adolescent and youth counseling focuses on the emotional development of the adolescents and youth. Since adolescence is a period of emotional vulnerability, there is a greater predisposition for adolescents to be reactive, impulsive and have mood swings.
Through adolescent and youth counseling the adolescents and youth are able to learn emotional regulation. They are psychoeducated about the effect of emotional reactivity and impulsivity in life. They learn to manage their emotions and regulate their unpleasant emotions.
Adolescent counseling is also focused on the subjective well being and psychological well being of adolescents. The adolescents and youth are helped by the therapists to overcome their life scenarios that may act as barriers in their subjective and psychological well-being.
The adolescents and youth are facilitated with opportunities to share their unaddressed issues in life. They are given opportunities in the therapy sessions to talk about and address their unresolved issues in life.
The suppressed emotions and thoughts related to unpleasant experiences are discussed through ways that are non threatening for adolescents and youth. The therapists mostly use art and play interventions.
The play and art techniques in adolescent and youth counseling helps them to be aware of themselves, their unacknowledged needs and desires. The areas that are unexplored due to adolescent’s sentiments about them are explored and gained access to in a playful manner that does not break the defense mechanisms of adolescents and youth.
What are the stigmas attached to adolescent and youth counseling ?
Adolescent counseling is an important aspect of their well being including their psychological and subjective well being. However there are many stigmas associated with adolescent and youth counseling that makes it difficult for them to access the counseling facility.
The first and the most significant barrier that adolescents and youth face in gaining access to counseling is the stigma associated with counseling itself. Many families don’t agree to permit their youth and adolescents to go to counseling sessions. They feel counseling and mental health issues are not significant and just talking in sessions has no significant outcome.
Many parents and societies generalize the adolescent and youth experiences related to emotional wellbeing. They think that these experiences of unpleasant thoughts and feelings are there with every person on earth and it is not that big a matter that needs to be sought through counseling.
Adolescents and youth are often themselves ashamed to seek counseling and therapy. They find it difficult to break their boundaries and trust a strange person who is an adult. It is often difficult for the adolescents and youth to open up their true feelings in front of the counselors and therapists.
Adolescents and youth often feel that if they seek counseling their friends and peers might think that they are mentally ill. They might be considered as emotionally disturbed or weak by their friends. There are greater chances of their friends bullying them due to counseling.
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
What are the advantages of adolescent and youth counseling?
The advantages of youth and adolescent counseling are many fold. The major important outcomes associated with adolescent and youth counseling are as follows :
- The adolescent and youth counseling is able to help adolescents get better at all phases of life.
- The adolescents and youth are able to be more patient and less reactive as a result of adolescent and youth counseling.
- The adolescents and youth are able to learn emotional regulation through adolescent and youth counseling
- The adolescent and youth counseling provides the adolescents with an opportunity to do catharsis
- The adolescents are better able to socialize and develop social skills as a result of adolescent and youth counseling
- The adolescents learn problem solving skills as a result of adolescent and youth counseling
- The adolescents are able to change their reactivity into responsiveness s a result of adolescent and youth counseling
- The adolescent and youth counseling works on the self awareness and confidence of the adolescents
- The adolescents are able to work on their intrapersonal and interpersonal skills as a result of adolescent and youth counseling.
- The adolescents are able to resolve the core crisi related to identity issues through adolescent and youth counseling.
- The adolescents are able to address their issues related to academic life including bullying, underachievement, peer pressure and learning difficulties.
- The adolescents are able to connect better with their unresolved traumas in life through adolescent and youth counseling.
- The subjective well being and the psychological well being of the adolescents enhances as they take adolescent and youth counseling
- The adolescents learn crisis intervention as a result of youth and adolescent counseling and are able to make better decisions in life.
- Talking to a trained professional in adolescent and youth counseling enables the adolescents to learn to effectively communicate their matters and feel that they are understood by someone without being judged.
- Adolescents learn better coping strategies as a result of adolescent and youth counseling.
- Adolescents undergoing counseling are able to prevent themselves from being addicted to substances that are used as a source of recreation.
- The adolescent’s distorted behavioral patterns are managed through adolescent and youth counseling.
- Adolescents are able to overcome their traumas related to any sort of physical, verbal, emotional or psychological abuse as a result of adolescent and youth counseling.
- The adolescent and youth counseling provides adolescents with a chance to decide the right career path.
- Adolescent and youth counseling helps the adolescents to deal with their life scenarios at the right moment instead of entering their adulthood
The present blogpost was based on the question “What is adolescent and youth counselling?”. We discussed the various aspects related to adolescent and youth counseling. We also learned the advantages of adolescent and youth counseling and the associated stigmas.
What we recommend for Counselling
If you are suffering from depression or any other mental disorders then ongoing professional counselling could be your ideal first point of call. Counselling will utilize theories such as Cognitive behavioural therapy which will help you live a more fulfilling life.
Frequently asked questions:adolescent and youth counselling
What is child and adolescent counselling?
Child and adolescent counseling is related to children and adolescent’s psychosocial and emotional counseling. The socioeconomic growth of adolescents and children based on their transition from childhood to adolescence. It helps adolescents with various conflicts related to identity crisis and facilitates resolution.
Why do you need youth counselling?
Youth counseling is needed for the emotional development of the youth while their transition from childhood to adolescence. Youth counseling helps adolescents to overcome the crisis situations and conflicts related to youth and adolescence.
What does an adolescent therapist do?
An adolescent therapist uses techniques and interventions that are based on art and therapy for the emotional development and personality development of the adolescents. Adolescent therapists mentor the adolescents for self awareness.