The current blogpost will be based on the question “What are activities to improve communication skills for students?” We will enlist the various activities to improve communication skills for students. We will also discuss each activity in detail to explore its effectiveness for improving communication skills for students.
What are activities to improve communication skills for students?
Communication is the basic foundation of our daily skills and relationships. Communication enables us to manage our routine life tasks, cope with our problems and overcome barriers to daily life issues.
Effective communication helps us accept the other person. We are better able to understand the other person and value them. Through active listening skills our relationships get more emotional strength. Through improved communication skills we are better able to be with each other and encourage effective communication.
The communication skills among students can be adequately improved by following activities :
- Telephone activities
- Stop listening exercise
- Listener and talker activity
- Memory test activity
- Just listen activity
- Clap and follow
- Wordless Acting
- We are all going for vacations
Telephone activities for students to improve communication skills
Telephone activities are recommended for students to improve their communication skills. Through telephone activities the communication skills of students are improved as it helps them to be active listeners and speakers.
The telephone activity is conducted in the form of pairs so that the students are able to take turns and practice individually.
Stop listening exercise for students to improve communication skills
The stop listening exercise for students is recommended to help them learn the consequences of what happens to the communication process if the students don’t listen. The students in this activity are made aware of the emotional hazards of not being attentive in the communication process.
For this activity the students are split into two different groups. One group remains inside the room and the other group goes outside the room. Thegroup inside the room is asked to stop listening after 30 seconds. Meanwhile the group outside the room is asked to share something of great experience with their partners, so that they start speaking with great involvement and interest.
Both groups are once again united in the room and all the members of both groups are divided into pairs in a way that one partner is from the group outside the room and the other partner is from the group that was inside the room. When the partner inside the room doesn’t listen to the partner who is enthusiastically sharing his experiences, the communication process gets hindered.
At the end of this activity, the facilitator talks to the members of both the groups collectively and briefs them about the essence of the activity.
Listener and talker activity for students to improve communication skills
The listener is a stalker activity for the students to improve their communication. The students are divided into pairs of two. One member becomes a listener and the other member becomes a talker.
The taker in the group is asked to talk about any area of interest in detail. The listener is instructed to listen effectively and attentively.
After a while, the listener summarizes the main points conveyed by the talker.
Both partners take turns in this activity.
Memory test activity for students to improve communication skills
The memory test activity is conducted among the students to help them learn communication skills. Memory test activity is conducted through the following steps :
- The students are made to listen to a list of words that belong to different categories.
- The students are instructed to listen carefully to the list of words.
- For example the instructor can say the following words :
- After completion of the list, the students are going to do that after listening to a song so that they get distracted from their goal for a while.are instructed to draw any 3 of the things from the list.
- The activity is later related to daily life scenarios where you are forced to listen to the other person while distracting the other messages in the surroundings.
Just listen activity for students to improve communication skills
The just listening activity for students to improve their communication skills is recommended to be used to help the students learn effective communication through learning attending skills. In This activity the pairs of students practice listening activity in a way that one participant only speaks and the other only listens.
The listens to explore the speaker’s feelings and looks for the body language and facial expression along with the words.
Through this activity students learn the importance of listening skills in effective communication.
Clap and follow for students to improve communication skills
This activity is based on a single group. The students all sit together in a group and are instructed to follow the instructions that are coded with the number of claps. The group is instructed to :
- Stand up when listening the sound of one clap
- Hop forward when listening to two claps
- Raise their left hand when they listen to three claps
- Raise their right hand when they listen to four claps
- Raise their left hand when they listen to five claps
After giving the instructions, the instructor starts the activity, starting with one clap and going forward to five claps.
afterwards, the same activity is repeated with the participants being told to switch the instructions for one clap and three claps.
The participant will then follow the new instructions for one clap and three claps while the remaining instructions being the same.
Wordless Acting for students to improve communication skills
For this activity to improve the communication skills among students, the students are first divided into pairs of two. The instructor provides each participant with a set of stories about a little boy.
One of the pair members is asked to read out the story loudly to the other pair member whereas the second pair member is instructed to only act upon the lines that are being read to them.
The rest of the students need to guess and write what is being acted upon. They observe the body language of the student who is enacting the script and then perceive whatever is being acted upon.
We are all going for vacations students to improve communication skills
We have to move now activity for students are recommended to help them improve their communication skills by learning the importance of feelings and emotions in communication.
The activity is conducted by the following steps :
- Cut a paper into several strips
- For each strip of the paper, pick up an emotion and write it on the paper.
- For example there are 5 strips and each strip has unique emotions like happy, sad, fearful, surprised and anxious.
- The instructor picks up 5 members from the group, they are instructed to say the sentence “we are all going for vacations’ ‘ by making their body language and facial expressions to comply with the emotion that is written on the strip of the paper that they are about to pick from the bowl.
- For example the first member has picked up a strip with the emotion “happy” written on it. He will say the sentence “we are all going for vacation” in a way that shows that he is happy.
- The same act will be repeated by other students each with a different emotion.
- The students will discuss the emotion being represented by each group member .
- In the end all the group members will be asked about their guesses.
- The instructor will elaborate how valuing the emotions and using feelings helps the communication process get better and effective.a
The current blogpost was based on the question ““What are activities to improve communication skills for students?”. We enlisted and discussed the various activities that can be used with students for improving their communication skills. We also explored the effectiveness of each activity for improving the communication skills of students.
Frequently asked questions : activities to improve communication skills for students
How can students improve their communication skills?
Students can improve their communication skills by :
- Establish Listening and Speaking Procedures
- Teach Respectful Vocabulary
- Teach the Power of Pausing
- Practice Speaking and Listening in Natural Settings
- Encourage Introspection
- Turn Taking
What are 7 ways to improve communication skills and unique tips?
The 7 ways to improve communication skills are as follows :
- Think before you speak
- Be clear and concise
- Speak with confidence
- Vary your vocal tone
- Be an active listener
- Be aware of non-verbal communication cues
- Think about the perspective of your audience
What are the 6 types of communication activities?
Following are the 6 types of communication activities :
- formal and informal types of communication
What are 3 ways that could improve communication skills?
Following are the 3 ways that can improve communication skills :
- Using body language
- Not interrupting the speaker often