In this brief guide, we will discuss what Abilify for anxiety is, its effectiveness for the treatment of anxiety disorders and its side effects.
What is Abilify for anxiety?
Abilify for anxiety is a medication that is used to treat symptoms of schizophrenia in adults and children aged 13 and older.
The medication comes in tablet, solution, and disintegrating tablet form. It can be effective to use Abilify for anxiety, sometimes it is prescribed to treat symptoms of anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, autistic disorder, and Tourette’s disorder.
According to clinical studies, Abilify can be useful especially in the treatment of bipolar depression, anxiety disorders, treatment-resistant depression, and major depressive disorder.
It also works by changing the activity of dopamine, which means that Abilify is a mood stabilizer too.
Abilify is known as a second-generation antipsychotic (SGA) or atypical antipsychotic.
The medication was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2002.
Abilify: a clinical review of its use for the treatment of anxiety
Nowadays anxiety disorders are common, but optimal treatment is unreliable.
Treatment by a course of antidepressants fails to fully improve the patient’s symptoms in most cases. Recently, Abilify has been considered to treat anxiety.
Abilify(aripiprazole) turned out to be effective in treating anxiety disorders in two open-label trials.
But the data from large controlled trials on the use of Abilify in particular for anxiety, are currently lacking.
The results of the open-label trials of Abilify for anxiety supports its further study.
Abilify side effects
Abilify for anxiety or depression can be effective but you should also know about the side effects of this medicine, and tell your doctor if any of them becomes severe:
Weight gain etc.
Abilify for anxiety: Dosage
The starting oral dose for adults is 10 mg to 15 mg daily. This dose can be increased to up to 30 mg a day.
Your doctor may start you on a low dose of Abilify and gradually increase or decrease the dose depending on your response to the drug.
You should take Abilify for anxiety around the same time each day, with or without food.
If you miss a dose of Abilify for anxiety, take it as soon as you remember, don’t take extra doses to compensate for any missed dosage.
- According to some studies, older adults with dementia who use Abilify for anxiety may be at an increased risk of death. They may also be at great risk for suffering a stroke, transient ischemic attack.
- Children, teenagers, and young adults (up to age 24) who took Abilify for anxiety or depression are more likely to have suicidal thoughts during the first few months of treatment, or when the dose is changed. They shouldn’t take Abilify for anxiety, depression, but there are cases that the doctor decides the medication aripiprazole is the best option for the child.
- It isn’t allowed to use Abilify in pediatric patients with depression.
- If you notice severe side effects or suspect overdose, you should contact a poison control centre or emergency room immediately.
User reviews for Abilify
Mom of 3
“My 7-year-old son is on 2mg. It has completely changed our family. He has not broken a window on kicked in a door since starting Abilify. Before birth, he was exposed to drugs, alcohol, violence, chemotherapy, and pain killers. I adopted him at a year. He is diagnosed with Reactive attachment disorder (RAD) and Asperger Syndrome. He is so calm now. He still gets irritated if things are not his way, but he does not act on his anger.”
“I love this medicine. I have bipolar II disorder, and this medicine does everything it’s supposed to do. It keeps my manic moods completely in check and works very well in conjunction with Zoloft. I have been on both drugs for years, and I have not had any serious depression or mania for over 20 years! The only side effect that I experience is fatigue, but so worth it. The side effects are minimal. I feel and act NORMAL.”
“Abilify has worked wonders for me. I told my doctor that I just didn’t seem to care if I did things or not and that things just didn’t bother me enough to make me want to fix them. She gave me Abilify and even though I had my doubts that anything would work, 3 days after starting taking them, I found myself not wanting to stay still long enough to watch a whole TV show, because I felt there were better things I could be doing. I have been cleaning, rearranging, and packing away things every day since it took effect. I have never been one to want to do stuff. I would do what needed doing, but nothing more. Now, I just want to do it all. Love this stuff.”
“Something just “clicked” after I started taking this medication. I’ve suffered depression my whole adulthood and nothing seemed to do much of anything. Less than I week taking Abilify I wanted to be active; I’m happier and more outgoing. So far no noticeable weight gain.”
For Depression “I was hesitant to take Abilify after being on Zoloft and later Wellbutrin without noticing effects, but I did anyway and within a few days I started noticing effects. I feel surprisingly good now. I find myself doing chores like washing dishes or my laundry and realize that usually, I would just slump around saying “I’ll do it tomorrow” until I’m nearly out of clean clothes or dishes. I find myself singing to songs on the radio and my mood is not only noticeably better — but remarkably and incredibly better. I haven’t noticed any side effects except maybe that I’m a bit hungrier than usual — for instance, I’ll feel hungry and get a meal but not be able to finish it. So far, excellent results. Only about 2 weeks in.”
Side Note: I have tried and tested various products and services to help with my anxiety and depression. See my top recommendations here, as well as a full list of all products and services our team has tested for various mental health conditions and general wellness.
- CBT Toolbox for Children and Adolescents: Over 200 Worksheets & Exercises for Trauma, ADHD, Autism, Anxiety, Depression & Conduct Disorders
- Lost Connections: Why You’re Depressed and How to Find Hope
- The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook
- The Anxiety and Worry Workbook: The Cognitive Behavioral Solution
- Understanding Abilify (aripiprazole): An Easy-to-Read Guide to Uses, Side Effects, Withdrawal, and More
FAQs about Abilify for anxiety
How long does it take for Abilify to work for anxiety?
It can take a few days, or sometimes 2-3 weeks, for Abilify to start helping you.
But it can also take 4-6 weeks for you to see the full effect.
What symptoms does Abilify help with?
Abilify helps with the symptoms of anxiety disorder, depression disorder, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, Tourette’s syndrome, and irritability associated with autistic disorder).
What is good about Abilify?
Abilify can be useful for autistic behaviour. Studies show that it can reduce irritability, hyperactivity and repetitive movements in autistic children and youth.
Is Abilify an antipsychotic or mood stabilizer?
Abilify is known as a second-generation antipsychotic.
It is also a mood stabilizer. You can also use Abilify for anxiety.
Can Abilify worsen anxiety?
Abilify can worsen anxiety.
If during the therapy using Abilify for anxiety you notice severe side effects such as increased anxiety, akathisia, stop the therapy and talk to your doctor.
This brief guide helped us to know that Abilify is used to treat anxiety disorder, depression disorder, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, Tourette’s syndrome.
Abilify for anxiety can be helpful, but you should be attentive not to overdose.
If you get severe side effects, stop the treatment and talk to your doctor.
What we recommend for curbing Anxiety
Below are some of the services and products we recommend for anxiety
- Anxiety Weighted Blankets are by far the number 1 thing every person who suffers from anxiety should at least try. Anxiety Blankets may improve your sleep, allow you to fall asleep faster and you can even carry them around when chilling at home.
- Online therapy is another thing we should all try. We highly recommend Online therapy with a provider who not only provides therapy but a complete mental health toolbox to help your wellness.
- With over 50,000 participants, this anxiety course may be just what you need to regain control of your life.
- Amber light therapy from Amber lights could increase the melatonin production in your body and help you sleep better at night. An Amber light lamp helps reduce the amount of time it takes you to fall asleep and increases overall sleep quality.
- Abilify website
- Diarrhoea – Symptoms and causes
- Drug overdose
- HFNE “How to explain depression”
- HFNE “How to get rid of anxiety”